Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don’t see how it succeeds.

Football is a fickle sport, and whilst a few wins may get him some slack, a few defeats will have the disgruntled fans in an even worse mood.

it’ll all end badly.

This, exactly. I was born and raised in Alabama, where there are no professional sports teams. Everything I've read just now in this thread about Everton v. Liverpool in the city applies to Alabama v. Auburn in the state, but it's a whole state, not just one city. I was born an Alabama fan, as my parents were Alabama fans. My brother is a Bama fan, etc. etc. If you are in Alabama and you meet a stranger, especially during college football season, you're almost certainly getting the "Alabama or Auburn" question (like the "blue or red" mentioned earlier), if you're not already wearing the respective logo all over your clothes. We live with each other every single day of the year (though I live in Georgia now), and the rivalry is always at the forefront of everyone's mind.

So to act like these all-encompassing sports rivalries that permeate all facets of life are unique to the UK football scene does absolutely come across as condescending. I could just as easily say, "you've clearly never been to Alabama."

Sure. But we wouldnt say we understand it.

You must mix with a peculiar bunch of people. The half dozen reds I know and mix with are anything but arrogant, belittling or scornful. I think you are exaggerating to impress someone from outside our city?? The majority of reds are the same as the majority of blues. That applies everywhere in football and outside of football. A small minority are nut cases on both sides of the fence.
My best friend in this world is a RS and an incredible human being but even a stopped clock and all that , as a collective they’re beneath contempt. If you know six goodens in one group mate buy a few lottery tickets

And?

I'm just tired of seeing people talking like "Americans don't get it, it's different here." Yeah the culture will have its unique traits but sports rivalries? I think I get it. You don't have to talk down to us.
It is different - it’s why virtually all American investors in the EPL from Lerner to Hicks/Gillett to Kroenke have failed miserably.

I knew the Rafatollah would win you over mate lol

In all seriousness I hope he does well - seems a decent fella outside of football. I always think in football players/managers have a perception in the media and it doesn't always reflect them off the field.

Look at Carlo for all the gentleman/respectful reputation he's bloody hardfaced and self serving as we've just found out. Dunc is the opposite where he has a fearsome reputation based on the pitch but by all accounts is a quiet bloke outside of football.

I think Benitez will work his socks off and isnt just in this for the money. Hopefully we back him to the hilt this summer as this squad needs gutting and injecting with some real pace and power.
I feel filthy for typing what I did honestly , it’ll take time and it’ll be a while and a lot of results until I call him anything but Benitez.

if he puts points on the board sound but I can’t ignore the voices that tell me this is a HUGE mistake .

No, it I'm not even being specific to the Everton and Liverpool rivalry.

I'm just saying the rivalries we have over here go back further than most of the American sports ones and an intra-city rivalry is another level unto itself that the U.S. doesn't really have for most of their big sports.

The only cities that have two teams are usually LA and New York and they aren't original rivalries, they're rivalries from expansion teams that don't have much history at all.

Trying to speak about what the Liverpool and Everton rivalry means to Evertonians when you haven't lived in the city and grown up your entire life in it means you both don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I get there are levels to this but as someone who’s supported Everton for 25 years but overseas I think that counts for something especially when we have to listen/watch the match at 2 am. And 25 years ago we literally just had a radio.

might not have lived in the city but I’ve been reading toffeweb for that long and been on this forum for at least 10 years.

Plenty of leagues in Europe he could get a job. If you mean top 10 club in Prem, well this off season it was us or Spurs, so maybe couldn’t get Spurs but he could get Leeds or West Ham if they were open.
So not Spurs because they don't want him but maybe West Ham or Leeds who don't need a manager? Any job he could have actually taken instead of the Everton job? Because he's been on the dole since January and even Crystal Palace didn't want him. He's not an in demand manager. Nobody else wanted him, he had to go to China for his last gig, ffs.

Solid interview. Knows what he's getting himself into.

"Fights for my club"

That's all i want to hear really.

Last edited:
It is different - it’s why virtually all American investors in the EPL from Lerner to Hicks/Gillett to Kroenke have failed miserably.
As opposed to someone who gets it like Farhad Moshiri.

I think this is a different thing. Part of the issue is that the sport functions differently separate of the culture. Owning a team is automatic money over here. Relegation changes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.