Players you thought would be good but turned out not to be so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously Kroldrup after all the hype. Bily and Van Der Meyde right up there too. I always believed Johnson and Jelavic were going to be great signings too. Expected better from Heitinga as well.

Of the current crop, I expected / hoped for more from Walcott, Gomes and Bernard.

Michael Branch for me, desperate to believe the hype especially as them lot had Fowler at the time. Always remember McNulty saying he and the media may have put to much pressure on him (don't buy all that myself). Though was fuming when saw McNulty piece on Kean and build the hype, then I again I hate McNulty for the hatchet job he did on Joe Royle

Pretty much every player we have signed since about 1989. In fact it is easier to pick the players that I was excited about that were any good:

Beardsley
Ferguson
Kanchelskis
Martyn
Rooney
Lukaku

Kanchelskis especially. That 1995-96 side was fantastic, full of players who had ability, belief and confidence and yet he was clearly miles better than all of them. The combination of him leaving and Parkinson getting injured wrecked this club for ages.

Cottee peaked in his first game
I think that hat trick sort of set him up for a fall,like I said I dont think he fell below what I really expected from him,he scored but never seemed to be a team player,with Beattie I think the high price we paid a lot more was expected such as actually moving more than 3mph

Kanchelskis especially. That 1995-96 side was fantastic, full of players who had ability, belief and confidence and yet he was clearly miles better than all of them. The combination of him leaving and Parkinson getting injured wrecked this club for ages.

I kind of put that to the back of my mind, the hurtful memories are flooding back. The promise of a decent team and then it all goes to pot. 22 years and nothing bloody changes with this club!

For an awful lot of players we have bought the likes of Ian Wilson,McNulty etc it was a case of WTF,with most of them reaching the lows you expected of them

Status
Not open for further replies.