Status
Not open for further replies.
I am nominating an XI.

Players I thought would be great signings but weren’t.....IMO

Richard Wright

Heitinga Williams Bilic Nuno Valente

Van the Man Samways John Collins Limpar

Sandro Beattie
Bilic and Collins stand out of that crowd.Went to the pre-season game at Tranmere and the warning signs on Bilic were there for all to see.

Amazed no one has mentioned Geri. Assist and a great solo goal last night for Watford, but Koeman didn't fancy putting any management effort in with him and he went without fulfilling his outstanding potential. He';s matured now, and I wish he was still here...would fit in well with the technically better players we have now. Remember those superb balls he used to put in to Lukaku?

He was shocking. Wasn't he part of the class of 96 at Manchester United and him and Robbie savage never made it to the first team?

No mate. That was a different Simon Davies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Davies_(footballer,_born_1974)

I think I'd rather us have signed one who played for the Mancs ahead of that abomination of a player we were lumbered with who only Barry Horne thought was any good! His pathetic defending of him on phone-ins when he was a commentator on Radio City used to really irritate me when everyone knew Davies was utter crap.

Last edited:
Legend has it he only had one leg....really....I remember him and he really was very very bad, a lot worse than Straq.
I’ve read that he had varicose veins in his legs, very bad ones that hindered his movement. If true that’s another first for Everton, I’ve never heard of that complaint/ injury suffered by a footballer before. He was a footballer who had played quite a lot of football, mostly in Scotland, and scored a lot of goals.I think we signed him from either Portsmouth or Sunderland but didn’t last long at Everton.

I’ve read that he had varicose veins in his legs, very bad ones that hindered his movement. If true that’s another first for Everton, I’ve never heard of that complaint/ injury suffered by a footballer before. He was a footballer who had played quite a lot of football, mostly in Scotland, and scored a lot of goals.I think we signed him from either Portsmouth or Sunderland but didn’t last long at Everton.

The truth was that the veins in one of his legs were so bad that his leg was almost dropping off. Seriously. Medicals in those days were not as thourouigh as today,and half the time it was just a check over by the club doctor, if there was one. Hence the story that he was 'a footballer with one leg' At least theres you and I who remember him! I'll bet you also remember Stanley Matthews ,approaching 50, or at least mid 40s, absolutely giving a young Everton full back,Bryan Griffiths, an absolute roasting.

The truth was that the veins in one of his legs were so bad that his leg was almost dropping off. Seriously. Medicals in those days were not as thourouigh as today,and half the time it was just a check over by the club doctor, if there was one. Hence the story that he was 'a footballer with one leg' At least theres you and I who remember him! I'll bet you also remember Stanley Matthews ,approaching 50, or at least mid 40s, absolutely giving a young Everton full back,Bryan Griffiths, an absolute roasting.
Not sure I remember that game, Mathews a great player missed an awful lot of games as he got older, doubt if he played much on snow, I know he missed one think it was 1949, his deputeen, Hobson (Albert ?) played that day, Everton won 5-0 with four goals from Eddie Wainwright and one from Jimmy McIntosh, ironically signed from Blackpool the day before.Stan definitely played at Goodison v Stoke, Tony Kay, not one to stand on ceremony put Stan on his backside with one tackle. That game was played, I think, the day after John F Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.

Status
Not open for further replies.