Player Contracts (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ when you take Zouma and Gomes out that squad absolutely terrifies me... for all the wrong reasons.

The money spent and players bought by Koeman and Walsh is absolutely criminal.

Basically only Keane, Pickford, and Siggurdson remain after £300million spent.

Silva has spent £100mill to plug some holes and will need another £100mill to boost the squad

...agreed, but £80k per week is lots to pay for a back-up.

The other consideration is whether any U23s are ready to step up, but you only tend to get one of those every 3 years or so.

I think we could offer Baines a reduced contract - He’s not a key player no more, so shouldn’t be on as high a wedge. If he says no, we can launch him. I don’t expect players to play for free, but £80k should not be provided to a bench player. Not any longer.

On the other hand, if he was on £80k (hopefully he’d take a reduced contract) it’s better than going out and spending say minimum £5m on £20k wages as backup - whilst we focus on other more pressing first team concerns.

But then I suppose we could buy a young quality player with the potential to push up his value.

There’s so many moving parts. I just think that Brands needs to focus on the first team.

I think we could offer Baines a reduced contract - He’s not a key player no more, so shouldn’t be on as high a wedge. If he says no, we can launch him. I don’t expect players to play for free, but £80k should not be provided to a bench player. Not any longer.

On the other hand, if he was on £80k (hopefully he’d take a reduced contract) it’s better than going out and spending say minimum £5m on £20k wages as backup - whilst we focus on other more pressing first team concerns.

But then I suppose we could buy a young quality player with the potential to push up his value.

There’s so many moving parts. I just think that Brands needs to focus on the first team.

why would baines accept another contract when he knows hes goin to be on the bench at best and he could start at another premier league team?

Controversially maybe, i would look at maybe doing deals out for Walcott, Pickford and Gana, not that i particularly would be pushing them out the door, but to player trade you need money.

Id be loath to loose Pickford in particular but i really like the look of Viginia and their is part of me that if we are going to have bad results would have them with young players of potential.

We can see we need to shift whoever and that is obvious, its not easy though and the above are much easier and low hanging fruit.

Please take a look here: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/player-contracts.106096/

This summer we will lose:
Jagielka - End of contract
Baines - End of contract
Browning - End of contract
Zouma - End of loan
Gomes - End of loan
A Williams - already at Stoke until his contract expires

If we look at the players whose contracts expire in summer 2020;

Cuco - Gone to Feyenoord, obligation to buy
Mirallas - Rumoured to go for €7mil
Niasse - Currently on loan
Garbutt - Currently on loan
Tarashaj - Currently on loan
J Williams - Currently on loan
Galloway - With u23s
Stekelenburg - Not trusted
McCarthy - Coming back from injury

I think its fair to say that these players will all be sold / loaned in the summer.

Interestingly that would mean 15 players will be removed from the squad this summer.

The next set of players we can focus on will be those who it appears have no future at the club and are currently on loan elsewhere;

Pennington (2021)
Bolasie (2021)
Sandro (2021)
Besic (2021)
Dowell (2021)
Connolly (2021)
Holgate (2022)

Whether sold/loaned for the 2019/20 season this would reduce our first team squad by 22 players

This would be the remaining squad in the summer:

Goalkeepers (2)
Virginia (2021)
Pickford (2024)

Defenders (5)
Keane (2022)
Coleman (2022)
Kenny (2022)
Mina (2023)
Digne (2023)

Midfielders (6)
Schneiderlin (2021)
Vlasic (2022)
Gana (2022)
Davies (2022)
Baningime (2022)
Sigurdsson (2022)

Wide Forwards (5)
Lookman (2021)
Walcott (2021)
Bernard (2022)
Onyekuru (2022)
Richarlison (2023)

Centre Forwards (2)
Tosun (2022)
Calvert-Lewin (2023)

This means that if we do the expected minimum then our squad will be cut to 20 players without any real changes to the first team.

If we look at this positively then this could allow Marcel Brands quite a lot of leeway to move on new players in the summer window and focus on offloading some current first team players.

This, I feel is crucial to our rebuilding process.
I think that is a fair summary... but getting some of those players sold or sent out on loan will not be easy and may be costly.

....I imagine Baines wouldn’t take a wage cut unless it was a 2 or 3 year deal because he’ll be in demand from elsewhere. A club will offer him a contract of that length with a very decent salary & signing fee because they’ll acquire him for free.

why would baines accept another contract when he knows hes goin to be on the bench at best and he could start at another premier league team?

I suppose we could offer lower terms, of course he may well decline. His stock isn’t that high, if he gets himself a Prem gig after us then fair play to him - even on a free I imagine the MLS to come calling though, but he has displayed weird tendencies when potentially moving abroad before so I guess we will see.

....I imagine Baines wouldn’t take a wage cut unless it was a 2 or 3 year deal because he’ll be in demand from elsewhere. A club will offer him a contract of that length with a very decent salary & signing fee because they’ll acquire him for free.

I think also his pride. He will not want to go out as a player who gets the occasional game. A bottom half or newly promoted team could offer him a two year contract and they would play him as his experience would be a great asset to a team like that. I think its in both parties interest if he moves on but his contribution here should never be forgotten.

Controversially maybe, i would look at maybe doing deals out for Walcott, Pickford and Gana, not that i particularly would be pushing them out the door, but to player trade you need money.

Id be loath to loose Pickford in particular but i really like the look of Viginia and their is part of me that if we are going to have bad results would have them with young players of potential.

We can see we need to shift whoever and that is obvious, its not easy though and the above are much easier and low hanging fruit.

We've got money. We just haven't spent it.

Its an example.

I think its a matter of perception of what we / Brands would consider to be 'high wages'.

If we look at Frenchmen then some of the young players who have moved to Leipzig such as;

Upamecano (Salzburg onto Leipzig)
Konate (from Sochaux)
Mukiele (from Montpellier)
Augustin (from PSG)

From transfermarkt £36mil signing fees now valued at £80mil.

I doubt any of those players would expect anything like £70k a week which is probably around 50% of what we pay Walcott/Sigurdsson.

If we bought directly from France as they do then I suspect £50k a week would be a very high salary to pay out.
But when they read the wages players in the PL are on they will want parity
If you are coming in to replace Walcott you would want similar wages

I think Silva/Brands will need to have some continuity on the pitch next season.

I think Pickford / Mina / Digne / Richarlison will be in the first 11 for as many games as possible with a variety of youngsters such as DCL / Kenny / Lookman / Davies in the squad.

For me, i expect everyone else to be up for sale.

Not sure on Virginia as ive not seen him play but imagine he will be off on loan next season and another backup brought in...

I couldnt see Pickford going anywhere at least until the end of next season...earliest.

I suppose we could offer lower terms, of course he may well decline. His stock isn’t that high, if he gets himself a Prem gig after us then fair play to him - even on a free I imagine the MLS to come calling though, but he has displayed weird tendencies when potentially moving abroad before so I guess we will see.

Cant see why Baines would want to stay unless hes afraid to change clubs...

But when they read the wages players in the PL are on they will want parity
If you are coming in to replace Walcott you would want similar wages

Not really...i know companies who have hired guys on insane wages and their replacements have come in at 1/3 of the money

...agreed, but £80k per week is lots to pay for a back-up.

The other consideration is whether any U23s are ready to step up, but you only tend to get one of those every 3 years or so.
I think Baines May accept a 1 yr extension on 35/40k a week
Let’s be honest no other club will give it to him and we need a reliable back up till one of the young lads prove himself.
Although Kenny has done ok in the bits he’s played at LB but it’s not ideal having a right footer playing LB ( see Martina)

Status
Not open for further replies.