Pickford or Howard?

Better keeper of the two please?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a serious note though Howard is being overegged here. Even at his peak he was rubbish from distance, weak under crosses and highballs, terrible on free kick positioning, pretty poor on pens and absolutely pants at one on ones. He had great reflexes that for a while bailed him out of some of the above but once they went he was comfortably the worst keeper in the league. Pickford is better in almost any aspect. Better under the highball, better positioning, better one on one, better attitude, better at shots from distance, similarly good reflexes, better distribution.
HAHAHAHAHA. He saved 11 out of 35 penalties faced for us - not including a couple of others in shoot outs - if you think that's pretty poor you're setting quite astonishing standards.

...at his best over 3/4 of his Everton career I felt safe with Howard. I don’t yet feel that way with Pickford, although I appreciate better judges than me say he’s going to be very special. I’m content that we have him but the question does not ask who will be the best.

It was nice knowing you @ijjysmith.

Personally i'd take Martyn over either of them from what i can remember of him coming towards the end of his career with us.

Out of Howard and Pickford they both have limitations but i'd prefer Pickford for what he could be in the next few years.

Howard's limitations were notably long shots and any kind of cross in to the box. Pickford's are down to the ongoing joke of him having little arm's that could well end up being something that never improves but given he's only 24 it could also be a positional issue that will only improve with experience and top class coaching, i think in terms of reaction saves and general ability Pickford's at a similar standard and nowhere near his prime yet compared to Howard in his prime years for us.

Howard also had a significantly better set up defence in near enough his entire time with us until the Martinez era.

timhoward-cropped_d35yjw0ejuow1u41j3ijp2057.jpg

Howard was a very good shot stopper but awful at coming off his line. Pickford is also a very good shot stopper but has dropped a few clangers coming off his line also. Howard's distribution wasnt great but Pickford's is superior apart from when he is hitting it to Yarmalenko.

Howard a scored a goal in the prem so his goalscoring record swings it for me.

Howard was a very good shot stopper but awful at coming off his line. Pickford is also a very good shot stopper but has dropped a few clangers coming off his line also. Howard's distribution wasnt great but Pickford's is superior apart from when he is hitting it to Yarmalenko.

Howard a scored a goal in the prem so his goalscoring record swings it for me.

I just don’t remember Pickford dropping that many ‘clangers’.

No more than De Gea does. Or Ederson. Or any of the top 6 keepers.

Howard was ok until Martinez took his defence away...but hardly ranks with Southall, Martyn, etc . Pickford will hopefully improve as he gets older.

Pickford hasn’t started the season that well for us like but let’s not get misty eyed guys.

A lot people make out Howard was a lot worse than he was but he was turbo garbage in his last 2/3 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.