Old Everton Pictures

Thanks to @Eggs post yesterday this guy scored my first goal after being bornc -
20 October 1956 George Kirby heads home a Tony McNamara cross for Everton's second during 5-2 victory away to Manchester United -

Gilzean, Dougan and Charlie Cooke of Chelsea were some of my favourite players back then. I always thought of them as proper players, Everton type players, tough, hard but fair and very, very, good at what they did.

Goes slightly off topic...I always sing along with The Royal Blue Mersey song and back then the hate of the darkside was almost...except for Derby Days...none existant, in me anyway - half my family and friends being of that ilk.

Just as a reminder to set the record straight for those born after their pact with himself, those who think this is some Arl arse urban myth, Yes this did happen.

Back in the day people might go to Goodison one week and, if there was nothing else to do and it looked like a good game (a good game being one where they might get beat) and the funds allowed it, you would go with you red mates, because, well because they were your mates and you'd go to the other ground the next week.

Anyway, It might upset those who know nowt (like I care) but deep down, the 3 named villains of said song, always got a grudging pass mark from me, by virtue of being, like I said, very, very, good at what they did.
Apologies, turned into a low grade rambling rant there.
My ex- work partner, ex-best mate was a Red. At his funeral 2 years ago, all his brothers and sisters, his grandchildren, nieces & nephews were at
his graveside for final prayers, I decided to leave that bit for the family. His wife came over to me afterwards and said she thought I didn't stand closer
because they all sang YNWA at the graveside. I said ' Sylv. I would sing it every day if it meant he could still be with us', we both ended up in tears.
Unlike the great Mr. Shankley, I happen to think that Life & Death is more important than football.

Gilzean, Dougan and Charlie Cooke of Chelsea were some of my favourite players back then. I always thought of them as proper players, Everton type players, tough, hard but fair and very, very, good at what they did.

Goes slightly off topic...I always sing along with The Royal Blue Mersey song and back then the hate of the darkside was almost...except for Derby Days...none existant, in me anyway - half my family and friends being of that ilk.

Just as a reminder to set the record straight for those born after their pact with himself, those who think this is some Arl arse urban myth, Yes this did happen.

Back in the day people might go to Goodison one week and, if there was nothing else to do and it looked like a good game (a good game being one where they might get beat) and the funds allowed it, you would go with you red mates, because, well because they were your mates and you'd go to the other ground the next week.

Anyway, It might upset those who know nowt (like I care) but deep down, the 3 named villains of said song, always got a grudging pass mark from me, by virtue of being, like I said, very, very, good at what they did.
Apologies, turned into a low grade rambling rant there.

When I was at school in LIverpool (1940's) there was a healthy rivalry between blues and reds but nothing more. At school play-time there would be a football match in progress in the playground. One goal was the air-raid shelter and the other was on the main school building. You joined in by asking 'which way are Everton kicking?' (or Liverpool). Morning and afternoon 35 a side (or more) you were lucky to get a couple of kicks of the battered old tennis ball. Never any animosity. My Dad was a Liverpool supporter, me and my brother Everton. It will be a sad day if the rivalry gets any more than that.