Old Everton Pictures

Eggs

Player Valuation: £70m
Was at a party a few years ago at a golf club in Manchester,told my girlfriend at the time that Andy H was there,went the bogs and on my return she tells me he’s at the bar waiting for me with a pint,said he was made up to have a chat with an Evertonian,really decent,modest fella,put any success he had in the game down to big joe and willie Donnachie,I said he took great set pieces/corners but he put it all down to big dunc and rideout and the fact he’d only have to whip a ball in the zone and one of the big lads would get a touch and bingo,not on sheeds level,who would be?but a fine player in a decent side for us was Andy :)
....7 full England caps is no small achievement.

degsy

Derek Dougan my older brothers mate adored him .....in fact looked him up he is an avid collector of Dougan memrobillia!
Gilzean, Dougan and Charlie Cooke of Chelsea were some of my favourite players back then. I always thought of them as proper players, Everton type players, tough, hard but fair and very, very, good at what they did.

Goes slightly off topic...I always sing along with The Royal Blue Mersey song and back then the hate of the darkside was almost...except for Derby Days...none existant, in me anyway - half my family and friends being of that ilk.

Just as a reminder to set the record straight for those born after their pact with himself, those who think this is some Arl arse urban myth, Yes this did happen.

Back in the day people might go to Goodison one week and, if there was nothing else to do and it looked like a good game (a good game being one where they might get beat) and the funds allowed it, you would go with you red mates, because, well because they were your mates and you'd go to the other ground the next week.

Anyway, It might upset those who know nowt (like I care) but deep down, the 3 named villains of said song, always got a grudging pass mark from me, by virtue of being, like I said, very, very, good at what they did.
Apologies, turned into a low grade rambling rant there.

degsy

Great shops at the top of London Road in the 1960/70s ;)
Certainty were. A whole array of premises just outside the city centre retail area.
I spent most of the 60s around there and watched them knock down all those peoples homes between Islington, London Rd and the surrounds. I saw them clear the site of all the prefabs for the then state of the art new hospital...which they are now going to replace...if the havent started knocking it down already
These people were the fuel rods that powered the retail reactor that was the London Rd, Islington, Kensington area...whole communities scattered - truly Gone with the Wind.
Back on topic-ish, as a young kid I actually prefered wondering along Islington, just to soak in the sights, sounds, smells, the whole low grade hum of lots of little interesting shops.

McMagic

Player Valuation: £8m
Gilzean, Dougan and Charlie Cooke of Chelsea were some of my favourite players back then. I always thought of them as proper players, Everton type players, tough, hard but fair and very, very, good at what they did.

Goes slightly off topic...I always sing along with The Royal Blue Mersey song and back then the hate of the darkside was almost...except for Derby Days...none existant, in me anyway - half my family and friends being of that ilk.

Just as a reminder to set the record straight for those born after their pact with himself, those who think this is some Arl arse urban myth, Yes this did happen.

Back in the day people might go to Goodison one week and, if there was nothing else to do and it looked like a good game (a good game being one where they might get beat) and the funds allowed it, you would go with you red mates, because, well because they were your mates and you'd go to the other ground the next week.

Anyway, It might upset those who know nowt (like I care) but deep down, the 3 named villains of said song, always got a grudging pass mark from me, by virtue of being, like I said, very, very, good at what they did.
Apologies, turned into a low grade rambling rant there.
My ex- work partner, ex-best mate was a Red. At his funeral 2 years ago, all his brothers and sisters, his grandchildren, nieces & nephews were at
his graveside for final prayers, I decided to leave that bit for the family. His wife came over to me afterwards and said she thought I didn't stand closer
because they all sang YNWA at the graveside. I said ' Sylv. I would sing it every day if it meant he could still be with us', we both ended up in tears.
Unlike the great Mr. Shankley, I happen to think that Life & Death is more important than football.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.