No fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

When the going gets tough Everton get hit for multiple goals. Honestly we’ve had some embarassing performances recently that would shame some of the other lower prem teams even. That home performance v City last season, losing shipping 10 to an Arsenal side over 2 games who were struggling to win away from home, absolute maulings at Anfield under Martinez twice. Even United who everyone has created problems for did an easy double over us. The 5-0 against Conte’s Chelsea. Given that we don’t have the worst squad quality wise in the league these sort of results are just embarassing and completely indicative of the lack of anything we have in the squad. Teams lose all the time to the top 6 but not many hbe that sort of rap sheet we do. Most can give them a game, especially at home, even if they only seem to like playing one of them (West Ham and Bournemouth with Chelsea, Brighton with United etc) We don’t trouble any of them home or away anymore. We’ve just given up competitive football. We are now solely operating on the Allardyce formula of ‘x wins at home v the bottom 13 with x draws away from home v the bottom 13 gets you x points to stay up. Forecast for zero points from top 6’

I was watching the game on NBCsports yesterday and the commentator was talking about our abysmal record against Arsenal. His co-commentator was Lee Dixon. When he was remarking on the fact that we conceded 10 against Arsenal last season and then gave out a total of goals for and against over the years even Dixon sneered and said "even I've scored against Everton".

When the going gets tough Everton get hit for multiple goals. Honestly we’ve had some embarassing performances recently that would shame some of the other lower prem teams even. That home performance v City last season, losing shipping 10 to an Arsenal side over 2 games who were struggling to win away from home, absolute maulings at Anfield under Martinez twice. Even United who everyone has created problems for did an easy double over us. The 5-0 against Conte’s Chelsea. Given that we don’t have the worst squad quality wise in the league these sort of results are just embarassing and completely indicative of the lack of anything we have in the squad. Teams lose all the time to the top 6 but not many hbe that sort of rap sheet we do. Most can give them a game, especially at home, even if they only seem to like playing one of them (West Ham and Bournemouth with Chelsea, Brighton with United etc) We don’t trouble any of them home or away anymore. We’ve just given up competitive football. We are now solely operating on the Allardyce formula of ‘x wins at home v the bottom 13 with x draws away from home v the bottom 13 gets you x points to stay up. Forecast for zero points from top 6’

Admittedly we did not collapse at 2-0 but neither did we show any real fight for the last 30 minutes.

If Tosun was any good he would have buried that header against West Ham.
If DCL was any good, he scores yesterday.

The fact the 'average' players you mention are whats causing our problems, when we've spent more money than most of the league recently is mind bending.

We had a captain yesterday who shouldn't even be in the team.

Who's to blame here ? Cos it isn't the fans who once again sold out our away allocation and sang their hearts out.

What’s new?

The culture of mediocrity that you are describing goes all the way back to the days of Moyes, and people love Moyes and some would even have him back as manager. The only common factor i see all the time in any of this is Kenwright, and he is still hanging around now even with a new owner/regime. Id really like to see if things are different without him involved, maybe they would'nt be but im interested to know.

I thought we had aright go in the last fifteen minutes.

No lack of fight IMO.
Sorry I must have missed the last 15 minutes. It was comfortable for Arsenal. I didn't think we troubled them and at no time did I think we were going to get back into the game. Not much high tempo football player. I was also waiting for their counter attack third goal but suppose that's mean being a blue ha

Phil Neville hit the nail on the head in MOTD2 yesterday. He said that we've spent over £300M recently, but very little on strikers.

Our main striking options are Tosun, Calvert-Lewin and Niasse. I'd say that neither of them looks like an 10 goal a season man, even. We've needed to strenghthen our forward line ever since Lukaku left - ALL the fans knew this, yet it somehow escaped the notice of Koeman and that moron Walsh.

Started watching us in the late sixties boys pen.Suppose I was spoilt. Great team to watch. But that team could also put themselves about. Lots of hard teams like Leeds, City we would match them if that's what they wanted. Bally would go mad if he thought someone wasn't trying.

Even the 70s we weren't great but the team had a bit if fight

80s great team to watch. Leaders like Reidy, if the going got tough the tough would get going.

Fast forward to today. Still love the team weekend is ruined when we get beat. Last few years we have had no leaders. Team goes a goal down they start to collapse. How many big defeats over the last few years. These players get paid mega money but there's no fight in a lot of them. No dishing the hard stuff out, no questioning the decisions of referees. You could see straightaway that the arses second goal was offside but nothing from our players. We should have all been around the ref. I sit there watching them, 2 nil down-not thinking we can still get back in this but wondering [Poor language removed] how many more will we concede. Some of them it doesn't hurt them getting beat like the fans. Compare that to the RS they can be 4-0 down and I'm still thinking they will get back in this. Seems to be instilled in their team from an early age.

Don't have the answers but maybe we need players with character as well as the skills.

We are, in general, spineless. But got to bare in mind that you’re not allowed to tackle any more.

Some of the good tackles that inspired the team and the crowd just 10 years ago would be a straight red now.
I know what you mean about tackles. But in their faces high tempo football look like their bothered. Question the referee sometimes. He does get it wrong sometimes rather than quietly accept. Passion Passion is what I want to see from them. Looking like its the worst that has happened to them when they have lost!!

Status
Not open for further replies.