New Stadium or Redeveloped Goodison?

Which would you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please show me the figures quoting it is less expensive building a new stadium when compared to redeveloping Goodison in stages.
Firstly, I didn't say it was less expensive but rather you had to consider costs along with time scale and improvements. But to play along...

Looking objectively, redeveloping the Main Stand at Anfield is costing £114m for an additional eight or nine thousands seats to their attendance.

That is the cost for one stand being redeveloped and expanded without the money they've spent on purchasing properties. Seems quite a bit?

Thinking logically, would the cost of redeveloping three stands at Goodison (all in poor condition) be a similar price for each stand?

Even if it is less, I would still expect a significant outlay required to bring the stadium up to a standard that will fulfil our future growth.

Are you talking just about new roofs? Major works? Rebuilds? I'd suggest at least £160-250m would be required for significant redevelopments.

If not more! Can you show me figures to indicate that these aren't sensible estimates? What figures do you have to show it will be less that this?

Compare that to the fact that Juventus built a new forty-one thousand seater stadium (UEFA Category 4) for €120 million (current rate of £94m).

Strasbourg are also in the process of building a new state of the art multi-purpose stadium which is looking at €250m (close to £200m).

Consider the costs compared with the time scale of redevelopment (loss of attendances) and level of improvement it'll generate for the club.

After all that I still stand by the new stadium... I'd like to stay at Goodison if it was feasible. Possible yes, but sensible no.

Firstly, I didn't say it was less expensive but rather you had to consider costs along with time scale and improvements. But to play along...

Looking objectively, redeveloping the Main Stand at Anfield is costing £114m for an additional eight or nine thousands seats to their attendance.

That is the cost for one stand being redeveloped and expanded without the money they've spent on purchasing properties. Seems quite a bit?

Thinking logically, would the cost of redeveloping three stands at Goodison (all in poor condition) be a similar price for each stand?

Even if it is less, I would still expect a significant outlay required to bring the stadium up to a standard that will fulfil our future growth.

Are you talking just about new roofs? Major works? Rebuilds? I'd suggest at least £160-250m would be required for significant redevelopments.

If not more! Can you show me figures to indicate that these aren't sensible estimates? What figures do you have to show it will be less that this?

Compare that to the fact that Juventus built a new forty-one thousand seater stadium (UEFA Category 4) for €120 million (current rate of £94m).

Strasbourg are also in the process of building a new state of the art multi-purpose stadium which is looking at €250m (close to £200m).

When you consider the costs compared with time scale (loss of attendances) and level of improvement, I still stand by the new stadium.
You are probably right mate. I just think it silly to not seriously explore the possibility of redeveloping Goodison. If we move we lose it so it ought not to be a decision taken lightly.

When you consider the costs compared with time scale (loss of attendances) and level of improvement, I still stand by the new stadium.
Good post. If we are talking world class stadium here, and we still get free land from the council, you would assume 300-400m minimum for a new stadium we would have to find?
I'd chose the 300m towards a refreshed modern Goodison personally.

You are probably right mate. I just think it silly to not seriously explore the possibility of redeveloping Goodison. If we move we lose it so it ought not to be a decision taken lightly.
I agree and I am sure there have been feasibility reports that have already produced, and the new investor will look at these in fine detail.

I'd love to be a huge advocate for staying, however the huge changes just seem far too difficult to impose compared with time and cost.

Also to bring the stadium to a standard we all desire, would those changes not dramatically alter Goodison and its overall atmosphere?

That's a consideration I think we fail to consider. The Street End wouldn't be the same... The Bullens would be gone.

Good post. If we are talking world class stadium here, and we still get free land from the council, you would assume 300-400m minimum for a new stadium we would have to find?
I'd chose the 300m towards a refreshed modern Goodison personally.
It's a personal opinion and I respect that, but I think our new owner will see his £300m investment flourishing more from a new stadium.

More space for multi-functional hospitality, standard seating and other facilities that will bring in revenue and support growth in his investment.

I have genuine concerns about what a new stadium would bring including atmosphere, heritage and location. Still, the status quo isn't an option.

I agree and I am sure there have been feasibility reports that have already produced, and the new investor will look at these in fine detail.

I'd love to be a huge advocate for staying, however the huge changes just seem far too difficult to impose compared with time and cost.

Also to bring the stadium to a standard we all desire, would those changes not dramatically alter Goodison and its overall atmosphere?

That's a consideration I think we fail to consider. The Street End wouldn't be the same... The Bullens would be gone.

It's a personal opinion and I respect that, but I think our new owner will see his £300m investment flourishing more from a new stadium.

More space for multi-functional hospitality, standard seating and other facilities that will bring in revenue and support growth in his investment.

I have genuine concerns about what a new stadium would bring including atmosphere, heritage and location. Still, the status quo isn't an option.
I think a redeveloped Goodison is quite feasible. Time more than anything is the biggest barrier.
On a personal and emotional level would much prefer this but at the same time we have to move forward. I don't want some half baked cowshed for a new stadium. Something carrying the best elements of Goodison would be second choice. Brick facings like Goodison before they cladded it, multi tiered stands with seats close to the action. Fantastic corporate facilities. No restricted views.

If it is possible, then of course a redeveloped Goodison is the preference.

The key thing is that whichever way we go, we get there quickly. A new/redeveloped stadium is the key to unlocking our potential.

I would love us to stay but as others say making people move from their homes doesn't feel right so I accept we will move to a new stadium.

Season after next world cup probably.

I've been following Everton at Goodison for the best part of 50 years, this stadium lark has been going on for far too long,we are being left behind the rest of the premiership and hopefully with a new owner almost over the line somebody will now make a decision one way or the other. Up until recent times I was always in favour of a redeveloped Goodison and if that can happen all well and good, but I just can't see it being logistically feasible and I can't and wouldn't want the new owner to waste money.I can now only really see a new stadium as the only viable option and as previous contributions have suggested lets keep some of the traits of Goodison which we are familiar at the same timegiving us an exciting new home which our kids and grandkids can love as much as we have loved the old lady.

We would probably yes mate.
If we're being realistic

Absolutely, the stands minus the park end do not have the footprint (or potential footprint) to support a fully cantilevered structure over a single teir. The PL is marketing and selling a world class level of entertainment, not exactly bedfellows with obstructed / restricted views.

A new stadium seems the natural choice (sadly).

The challenge is huge, not so much financially but in recreating the soul of Goodson. The Emirates is soulless for all its clear sight lines. Juve have built a new modern stadium at a very good price as said before, but as I've not been I can't comment on the atmosphere.

That's the major stumbling block, to some the area might not be upto much but for some it's their family homes and friends houses, a lot of history and memories involved and people will be reluctant to let go.
Also, it's not a quick nor easily achievable option especially if you go down the compulsory purchase order route.

In the end i's their home and they'll probably be reluctant to leave for numerous reasons and looking at making the most of the situation.

Take the first option? Nah. Most of them will haggle and negotiate for the best price for their property thus they could have us over a barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.