New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Smaller' club is different to 'small' club.

It's a fact we are a smaller club than Liverpool. If he said that to pander to the fans, so be it - "people's club" was the same thing from Moyes.

'Small' club is where the fault lies, in that post-match interview. His reasoning behind it I can accept - it was borne from frustration after our first and only impulse that game was not to lose it. I remember it vividly - we set up like San Marino, actually had a few chances because Liverpool threw the kitchen sink at us and left spaces. Tactically, it was fine, but it was 100% the tactics of a small club against a larger opposition.
Pre 92 i’d have argued with anyone that we were as big as anyone in the domestic game - 3rd in the list of title winners, one behind arsenal and ahead of utd. Post 92 we’ve been every bit the small club benitez referenced.

I don’t have a problem with those unhappy with benitez on footballing grounds - past it, defensive negative football etc etc…. This small club jibe i just can’t get exercised by - from memory that RS team struggled at home against teams that sat deep and it probably cost them the league one of the seasons - him having his arse in his hands cos of it is standard whinging from a top manager - klopp guardiola ferguson are all irritating when they haven’t won a game - it’s normally what makes them winners

Again, if we were a small club, he wouldn't be here

He doesn't and never has thought we were one

He made a snide comment due to frustration at not being able to beat us

He just needs to own it and apologise

The word I keep repeating is "courtesy" and that's ultimately what it would be

It would be a gesture of goodwill on his part and maybe, just maybe, we could then start to foster a positive relationship between manager and fan base, which he's going to need if his run here is going to have any chance of being a success

Hold your hands up, address the elephant and if anyone has a problem after that then they were never going to give you a chance to begin with. The one's that will take it at face value and will give you a chance are the ones that you'll need when you hit your first rough patch of results

Unfortunately Eggs there is a lot of lip service paid to us when talking about our size and history.

The media have been pushing Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche and Graham Potter as suitable managers for Everton
How many of them would be mentioned if Klopp left Liverpool today?

THERE have been rumours that Arsenal want to buy DCL and would pay 50m but because it is Everton that stupid price has stuck.

The talk big club but everything else they say or do suggests small time

…media perception has certainly changed, but it can change back again.

We are a big club. Look at our fan base, look at our away support. I don’t go to away games much these days but there’s no better sight than seeing a packed away end erupt when Everton score. Managers and fans throughout the country know we’re a big club.

Probably won't even be in charge by then
tenor.gif

Just astounds me people are still upset by a petulant comment he made about us what 10 years ago?
It's exactly the kind of comment we'd love to have heard go the other way.

As such, I have zero problem with it.

It was designed to wind Evertonians up, and he was evidently extraordinarily successful in that.

Let it go, you lunatics!

I wont even be checking results/watching/listening to games

I want NOTHING at all to do with that fat knobhead at Everton
It's hard to do that, I remember in the early 90s I didnt renew, but I was in my 20s travelleing round watching bands, missed a few seasons but it's hard to walk fully away, I even remember being in San Diego and ringing my dad to find out the score from a game.
Saying that the circumstances were different I know,this was HK 2 not Benitez

He's probably not that bothered mate. Nor should we be.

If he's not bothered then he's got zero chance to making this work, and regardless of how he feels about us he won't want this job to go wrong for him. It could very well be his last chance at a club this size

Again, it's all about courtesy

Ultimately, all he can do is be seen to be making an effort, and to be honest I couldn't really hold the comment against him if he did that

I think that we have to be realistic.We need to shift at least 5/6 this next season and it isn't going to happen.If we can get three and improve the league position we will have been a success.Get behind Benitez and give him time.No top notch manager will entertain us at the moment as Ancelloti has proved

It was designed to wind Evertonians up, and he was evidently extraordinarily successful in that.

Let it go, you lunatics!

Also pretty much most top level managers cryarse when they dont win.

Wenger was one of the worst for it, SAF did it as did Mourinho.

Bloody Klopp was having a pop at our ball boy and pelted an EFC journo after a 1-1 draw in the Anfield Derby under Alladyce.

I wonder how some blokes get through life if they cant let go of a comment a footie manager said about your team 15 years ago lol

Let it go, you lunatics!

Why should it be let go if he isn't prepared to do the decent thing and apologise for it?

The manager/fan base relationship is give and take

Why is the onus on us?

If he apologies then yeah, we should get over it, but he hasn't and I don't buy his mealy-mouthed explanation either

Status
Not open for further replies.