New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Smaller' club is different to 'small' club.

It's a fact we are a smaller club than Liverpool. If he said that to pander to the fans, so be it - "people's club" was the same thing from Moyes.

'Small' club is where the fault lies, in that post-match interview. His reasoning behind it I can accept - it was borne from frustration after our first and only impulse that game was not to lose it. I remember it vividly - we set up like San Marino, actually had a few chances because Liverpool threw the kitchen sink at us and left spaces. Tactically, it was fine, but it was 100% the tactics of a small club against a larger opposition.

Say we live in some parallel universe where Moyes won shedload of trophies for us and eventually got the Liverpool job, do you think he wouldn't have to address the whole People's Club thing?

Because he would

There's one thing everyone agrees on - if Benitez gets off to a really poor start, it's very, very hard to envisage him getting beyond Christmas.

With how toxic this job is for him, I'm actually beginning to wonder if he's actually fat or just has ridiculously thick skin.

Fat

Say we live in some parallel universe where Moyes won shedload of trophies for us and eventually got the Liverpool job, do you think he wouldn't have to address the whole People's Club thing?

Because he would

Of course, but anyone actually upset about those comments and not understanding the context of pandering to his own support would be being irrational.

The problem with Benitez's comments was they were interpreted as disrespectful to the opposition. Arrogant, demeaning and, ultimately, incorrect.

But he's have a reasonable explanation that stacks up within context. Could he be lying? Yes. But if he apologises now, he's then a DEFINITE liar as it contradicts his existing explanation.

For me, I accept his explanation.

We've been looking for a manager for a month, it's only because of our glacial pace that we haven't appointed one. We nearly had Nuno, we could've negotiated with other teams regarding the availability of their manager, as we would with players - in early June. Moreover, we should've had some considered thought that Ancelotti might jump to Real, but we didn't. We have a very stubborn, narrow minded board who get excited and fixate on 'big name' experienced managers who are low risk. The issue for me, is that this represents a huge risk for the stability of the club, not for where Benitez gets us to finish, but what follows on from him, because he causes deterioration and instability wherever he goes.

But because our owner thinks it's a good idea - those not embracing it are 'wrong'.

Not really its only Ancelotti we've appointed who matches that description.

Koeman done a very good job at Southampton who played good football.

Silva certainly wasnt a big name or played dour football.

Alladyce is hardly a hollywood name either.

Ultimately the fans dont know the reasons why we've gone with Rafael. We all know he's Carlo Lite - his system is very much similiar to Ancelotti so maybe its also a DOF decision?

Maybe Everton dont have FFP leeway to go spend £100+ million on revanping the squad in order to play the way your Potters, Ten Hags, Lampards etc. would have tried to play?

Regardless of the reasons the board wont be bowing to fan fetish of appointing a stylish 30 year old manager to play attacking football whilst the £500+ million stadium is getting built after seeing us in the bottom three under both Koeman and Silva trying to play expansive football with many of the same players.

I dislike him on the basis he managed them lot but mainly because he is crap, what has he recently achieved? Keeping Newcastle up? How are we meant to get excited by this appointment

No I called you 'a piece of work' because you called me both sanctimonious and arrogant in two separate posts because I suggested people can get on with it and not feel alienated from the club just because of a managerial appointment they don't like. People have a choice! I am going to assume that because you called me that you disagree. You yourself I'm talking about. You can stop being the self appointed spokesperson for the masses without stating your own stance. Are you going to stop supporting the team now Benitez is in? If you are then, again, that's your choice. This exchange began with me saying I don't care if those that hang abusive banners feel alienated by the appointment. If however you are going to continue supporting the team and by default give RB a chance then you agree with me and can stop playing Devil's advocate for the sake of it. The fan base doesn't need a hero to defend all sides on forums.
At the time you deserved to be called both of those things. It is incredibly arrogant to tell people to get on with things just because you are OK with it. You were also being sanctimonious (both in that instance by the way, not saying you are that all the time) by looking down on others for having a different opinion to you. I have a very low threshold for stuff like that (maybe that is my issue) and I cant be doing with fans sneering at other fans over the situation calling them "babies" etc. It's so condescending.

I have stated my own stance loads of times. I am fuming because I think its a horrendous move for everybody involved for numerous reasons. The divisiveness (look at us right now) is horrible and from a purely sporting side I think he is finished as a manager. I have never really said otherwise.

As for will I stop supporting? Who knows, not as such because Everton are my team, I certainly care less right now though as a bit of what appealed to me about us has gone. The only thing I am clinging on to is a morbid curiosity as it will at least be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.