Neville Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s embarrassing that he’s never mentioned by the media being one of the greatest keepers ever. The Dane, Seaman etc were not even close to lacing his boots. A truly world class player was Nev

Add to that, the club could do with pulling their finger out and appreciating what a player he was
He wasnt one of the greatest keepers he was THE GREATEST ever

It’s embarrassing that he’s never mentioned by the media being one of the greatest keepers ever. The Dane, Seaman etc were not even close to lacing his boots. A truly world class player was Nev

Add to that, the club could do with pulling their finger out and appreciating what a player he was

The are frightened of him, as he tells it as it is.

Very entertaining as an after dinner speaker.

In a world where the term ‘Legend’ has been devalued to the extent that it is handed out like flyers outside a fast food joint, this man genuinely earned the title. It wasn’t this saves, or how few mistakes he made, it was his consistency! Season after season you knew that our opponents had to beat the defence, then they had to beat Nev, it was like having two back lines, that is how good he was. He player behind a great defence for much of our glory years, but let there be no doubt, greatness requires confidence, and our defence climbed to greatness because they had the confidence, the utter certainty of mind, that if they screwed up and let a striker through, that striker still had to try and get the ball past Southall, and that was the hardest task in football! If the new stadium doesn’t contain a statue to this man somewhere within its precincts it will be a disgrace and I sincerely hope that nearer the time, the fan base begins to lobby for it to happen
Stands and applauds this post :celebrate::celebrate::celebrate::celebrate:

The are frightened of him, as he tells it as it is.
This. He was and always will be loyal to the club that he clearly loves, but he is not to today's club (as it is now) or any other previous regimes.

He would never toe the club's line and spread the party message and as such they'd never employ him. For all I love Sharp etc, he knows where his pay is from.

Neville will say it as it is, no matter how uncomfortable it may read; personally, I would much rather him be that role (the uncomfortable truth) than a yes man.

Oh, like I've previously said many, many times: he's the best we've ever had and probably ever will have.

This. He was and always will be loyal to the club that he clearly loves, but he is not to today's club (as it is now) or any other previous regimes.

He would never toe the club's line and spread the party message and as such they'd never employ him. For all I love Sharp etc, he knows where his pay is from.

Neville will say it as it is, no matter how uncomfortable it may read; personally, I would much rather him be that role (the uncomfortable truth) than a yes man.

Oh, like I've previously said many, many times: he's the best we've ever had and probably ever will have.

As much as I love this club im utterly ashamed of how we have treated Nev. Our fans laud it over the RS over how they treated Shankly in the latter years but Kenwrong hasnt been any better with Big Nev.

Utter legend he is.

As much as I love this club im utterly ashamed of how we have treated Nev. Our fans laud it over the RS over how they treated Shankley in the latter years but Kenwrong hasnt been any better with Big Nev.

Utter legend he is.
The only real positive is that I don't think it will have fazed Nev that much because he's never really enjoyed the fuss: look at him post '84 and '95 finals.

Lived by me for years.

Used to see him most weekday mornings before training walking his two German Shepard’s.

Second hand Volvo estate, pair of old wellies and a pair of battered jeans.

If you didn’t know who he was, you’d have never given him a second look.

Lived by me for years.

Used to see him most weekday mornings before training walking his two German Shepard’s.

Second hand Volvo estate, pair of old wellies and a pair of battered jeans.

If you didn’t know who he was, you’d have never given him a second look.
I was told of a story about him and his Volvo, on a match day, driving to the ground with the back of his car filled with hay. He wasn’t arsed at all!

Neville Southall making an acrobatic save for Everton v Leeds United in the Northern Final of the Zenith Data Systems Cup second leg played at Goodison Park on 21st March 1991.

It's ironic really that Southall's biggest problem has been he's never abandoned the idea of Nil Satis Nisi Optimum. No matter how far we may have fallen behind the rest,he's always maintained we should be challenging for leagues and trophies...he thinks like us, and doesn't toe the party line like Graeme "be careful what you wish for" Sharp.

Not having Southall round the club day to day letting the academy players and new signings know what's expected of them and what the fans expect is criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.