Neville Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lived the other side of the rugby field from us when I was a kid in the '70s in Llandudno. Frankie and Joey Jones used to live around the corner from him.

In a world where the term ‘Legend’ has been devalued to the extent that it is handed out like flyers outside a fast food joint, this man genuinely earned the title. It wasn’t this saves, or how few mistakes he made, it was his consistency! Season after season you knew that our opponents had to beat the defence, then they had to beat Nev, it was like having two back lines, that is how good he was. He player behind a great defence for much of our glory years, but let there be no doubt, greatness requires confidence, and our defence climbed to greatness because they had the confidence, the utter certainty of mind, that if they screwed up and let a striker through, that striker still had to try and get the ball past Southall, and that was the hardest task in football! If the new stadium doesn’t contain a statue to this man somewhere within its precincts it will be a disgrace and I sincerely hope that nearer the time, the fan base begins to lobby for it to happen

I put him third only behind Dixie and Bally in the EFC pantheon of greats,and even then that probably goes against him being a keeper!!
I think he was better than Bally Terry, I loved Bally mate, but I never felt that Bally was the in the world in his position for more than two maybe three seasons, with Nev it was for seven or eight! Which is phenomenal in itself,

I might be biased as I was a goalkeeper myself, but Nev was undoubtedly the best goalkeeper ever, anywhere andI just loved (and still do) his attitude.

In a world where the term ‘Legend’ has been devalued to the extent that it is handed out like flyers outside a fast food joint, this man genuinely earned the title. It wasn’t this saves, or how few mistakes he made, it was his consistency! Season after season you knew that our opponents had to beat the defence, then they had to beat Nev, it was like having two back lines, that is how good he was. He player behind a great defence for much of our glory years, but let there be no doubt, greatness requires confidence, and our defence climbed to greatness because they had the confidence, the utter certainty of mind, that if they screwed up and let a striker through, that striker still had to try and get the ball past Southall, and that was the hardest task in football! If the new stadium doesn’t contain a statue to this man somewhere within its precincts it will be a disgrace and I sincerely hope that nearer the time, the fan base begins to lobby for it to happen
Absolutely agree with this. I suspect that if Nev hadn’t got injured late in the 85/86 season it would have been an Everton side doing the double and not our red neighbours. Bobby Mimms was a nice chap but not in Nev’s league between the posts.
I think we need to lobby for a few statues in the entrance or concourse of the new stadium:
The Dixie Dean and Holy Trinity ones need to be put there.
Big Nev needs one. I’d also have a small sculpture of a left foot with the words “Kevin Sheedy” on a plaque.
And I think Joe Royle should have one. Not just because he was a good number 9 who played in front of the Holy Trinity, and not just because he saved us from relegation and won us some silverware. Also because for a couple of years we didn’t fear anyone, not even Liverpool. We haven’t had that mindset since.
And lastly, if he wins even one cup, a statue of Ancelotti....if only to remind future Evertonians that once upon a time one of the most decorated managers in the game came and managed our club.

Status
Not open for further replies.