Neville Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got sent this today and have posted it in the old Everton pics thread but as it’s Nev....

Rhyl fc v Burscough Fc. 1978

26B2437F-564D-4D21-833C-DCAFC5A796A3.png

In my opinion second only to Dixie as the greatest Everton player of all time. I and one of the (very) lucky few to have seen the two great sides of the sixties And in that period, I would say that both Alan Ball and Ray Wilson were world class in the truest sense of the word (I.e. they would have walked into ANY team in the world when they were playing), however, Neville was world class for us far longer than Ray or (sadly) Bally were, so taken in that context, he was a greater Everton player than Bally or Ray.

I have never seen any keeper before or since utilise his body as well as Neville did, he could save them with his hands, feet, face, arse, I loved the man, and it broke my heart seeing him playing with some of the cack he had to play with once that great team dissolved :(

Heard a story where Nev asked some of the kids at Bellefield if they had collected their Xmas hampers from reception at GP, and it seems one or two believed him,
and went to GP to collect.

In my opinion second only to Dixie as the greatest Everton player of all time. I and one of the (very) lucky few to have seen the two great sides of the sixties And in that period, I would say that both Alan Ball and Ray Wilson were world class in the truest sense of the word (I.e. they would have walked into ANY team in the world when they were playing), however, Neville was world class for us far longer than Ray or (sadly) Bally were, so taken in that context, he was a greater Everton player than Bally or Ray.

I have never seen any keeper before or since utilise his body as well as Neville did, he could save them with his hands, feet, face, arse, I loved the man, and it broke my heart seeing him playing with some of the cack he had to play with once that great team dissolved :(
I think you have a real point there ,I too was lucky enough to watch him perform ,I was surprised how many of those shots he held ,goalies today are trained to punch it seems .He was the best I ever watched ,definitely in Blue ,if I remember at the time the one the press said was the best in the world was Lev Yashin but of course we never got to see much of him in England .So for me the best in the world .

I was wondering if number 7 John McLaughlin (Tiger?) was our former left back, but it appears he played his last season in 1977 for Falkirk, unless anyone knows different?

Been waiting to spot a post of yours ,have we turned that corner yet?
Oh, you mean this one
...We all want the corner turned. seems like I'm all in favour of corner turning ala Ancelotti

The middle bit purposely tongue in cheek, based on fact.

But tempered with
Or it could just be your standard by the numbers 3ptsto Us - you never know with the County Rd Casuals.
it went exactly as I had forseen

anyway back on topic - top bloke Nev.

Status
Not open for further replies.