Neville Southall and other goalkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to see Big Nev a lot too (not live - couldn't go to matches at that time) and I don't think we compare keepers to him, we just expect what we pay for or ask for - tim howard was the USA no 1 for years, and we got that - somewhat inconsistent, super dedicated and professional and fit. Nigel Martyn was the best after Big Nev definitely, and I think in Pickford now we are just expecting him to behave and play like an England No.1 . he has been firmly in that position for 2 years, but he somehow doesn't play like he's the best in England, and that's why we are critical.

it is a good question Groucho, but I think Nev was so good, people place him outside such comparisons. It is like Dixie, it is pointless comparing any other Everton striker with him, he was simply incomparable and Big Nev falls into the same category. I compare our keepers with Nigel Martyn, a truly superb keeper, but not so good as to render any comparison unfair and futile.

Inappropriate Language
The best goalkeeper of the last 40 years, better even than Schmeichel at Utd and he was very good.

I like his politics too!

Pickford...not in the same league, [Poor language removed] in fact.

For a few years he was the best in the world and, as such, is in exalted company.

Nowadays there are, due to the biased, over hyped, nature of todays 'sky generation' too many 'bests in the world' (see henderson)

But most of them fall into the 'is ringo the best drummer in the world now?' catagory / trap / paradox.

The standard answer - 'he's not even the best drummer in the beatles mate.' Applies to almost all of them.

But not to Nev.

Those who know...etc etc.

Back to the original question. Older fans like myself may judge keepers a shade unfairly because we had witnessed one of the all time great keepers. However, we also witnessed Nev towards the end of his Everton career when he had put on weight and was a pale shadow of his former glories.

Most of our supporters I believe give players numerous chances to show they are the calibre of player and individual to be a regular for us.
I believe we are more than fair as a fanbase and am amazed that Pickford has any supporters left.

We should expect him to consistently perform as well as the top 6 keepers in the premier league. To my mind the last 2 seasons he would rank in the relegation 3 in terms of keepers and probably bottom half of the Championship.

He lacks the physical, mental and technical requirements to be anything like a top class keeper and fear he will be retained into next season.

even in the mid 90’s.. the over weight southall was class. Not as good comparing himself to the earlier version of himself obviously, but even then the only keepers as good as him were seaman and schmeichel ... I’ve mentioned it before but even the southall that could hardly move , playing in that legends vs celebrities match on sky, he pulled off and amazing recovery save, the one where that geordie bloke of big brother came steaming in while nevwas on the floor , ball 1-2 yards out.... open goal .. he was just about to live his dream of scoring at st James park. He went to strike it and all you could see was nev put his hand in front of the ball and as he hitthe shot Becs wrists were still so strong that the ball went straight over the bar when the ball was struck. The fella couldn’t believe it, this 50 year old , fat welsh bloke , crushed all his boyhood dreams with one movement of his hand. Nev just got up ( probably took him a bit longer than it should) and just acted like nothing had happened.

The best goalkeeper of the last 40 years, better even than Schmeichel at Utd and he was very good.

I like his politics too!

Pickford...not in the same league, [Poor language removed] in fact.

mid still rather nev over shmeichel tbh

Watch this,penaly save,2 world class saves,no gurning,fist pumping,playing to the crowd,a true master of his craft,I doubt I will ever see a keeper as good,but I want one who is at least compatent

Big Nev was an excellent keeper. Did all the important things well and provided the confidence and determination in defence required to win titles. If he'd been English or played for Man Utd, he'd be name checked any time a keeper made a decent save even now.

World class at his peak. Only a few players get to that level.

Swap him in for Pickford and we'd be in Europe even with our disgustingly bad midfield.

An amazing keeper was Nev, even in his latter years I feel we would of been down and out relegated without him. Nigel Martyn was the best keeper we signed after him imo although he should of been our number one years earlier.

Peter Schmeichel was brilliant, hard to choose between him and Nev for me.
The one thing they both had was communication, they would constantly shout to defenders. That is the one thing Pickford doesn’t do.
I’m convinced Pickford brings his mistakes on himself, some of the shots he faces are because of poor communication.

I only judge Pickford by today’s standards. I think there’s far better Keepers out there, but most of that is because of his poor organisation.

The birlliant thing about Neville is we didnt even question the goalkeeper position for 15 odd years. Leader, man mountain total honey badger didnt give a flyer who we played, used to love it when he used to clear the box when a cross came in and inevitably always ended up with the ball, didnt matter who we played.

Always remember my heart sinking if Bobby Mimms had to play instead of Nev. A bit like going to a gunfight with a knife... (tbf I actually don’t know how good/bad Mimms was but as a kid I blamed him a lot!
Well check his record in that season when Nev was injured, we came second and lost in the final, Bobby Mimms did very well, it wasn’t his fault that we were runners up in the league and FA cup, in fact there were one or two poor performances, by other players, but the fact that we finished were we did was down to Liverpool’s incredible finish, don’t think they lost any of their last dozen games and only drew one.

Don't see it so much with Pickford (holding him to an impossible Nev standard), as he makes many aggravating mistakes and has a questionable attitude - deserves the scrutiny and scepticism he gets IMO.
Definitely saw it with Howard, though. For the majority of his time he was a good top half prem goalie, never one of the absolute top 2 or 3, but solid and attitude spot on. But because he wasn't anywhere near the same league as the Big Man he got a hard time from some of the fanbase it seemed, like he was miles out of his depth or something.
His last season did vindicate the Howard-haters, My God did he stink the place out at every level, but that wasn't what the majority of his time was like here.
To be honest I never compared Howard or any other goalkeeper with Southall, just if they were capable goalkeepers, Martyn was very good and it was a pity we never signed him first time round, Mimms and Myhre were decent but no one else has stood out for me including Howard.

Back to the original question. Older fans like myself may judge keepers a shade unfairly because we had witnessed one of the all time great keepers. However, we also witnessed Nev towards the end of his Everton career when he had put on weight and was a pale shadow of his former glories.

Most of our supporters I believe give players numerous chances to show they are the calibre of player and individual to be a regular for us.
I believe we are more than fair as a fanbase and am amazed that Pickford has any supporters left.

We should expect him to consistently perform as well as the top 6 keepers in the premier league. To my mind the last 2 seasons he would rank in the relegation 3 in terms of keepers and probably bottom half of the Championship.

He lacks the physical, mental and technical requirements to be anything like a top class keeper and fear he will be retained into next season.
Yes Neville was well past his best in the end, how we won that nail biting game with Wimbledon, when we stayed up,with Southall in goal that day was amazing, he was atrocious, missing centre after centre and sadly it wasn’t just that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.