Neville Southall and other goalkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best goalkeeper of the last 40 years, better even than Schmeichel at Utd and he was very good.

I like his politics too!

Pickford...not in the same league, [Poor language removed] in fact.
Nev was world class (agree with his politics too, and applaud his general decency) but better than Schmeichel is a big call.

The most vocal, dominant gk in the game, one on one I’ve never seen anyone better than the Dane. Very few forwards thrived on that challenge (Romario stands out as one that did). His best asset for me was his hands were like bricks..ball hits his hand the ball stays out, in contrast to most others where the ball would sometimes go through the hands (“chocolate wrists”).

Denmark winning the Euros he was enormous.

The thread is called “ Nev and other goalkeepers “ . I felt Jamie deserved a mention. I seen him play a few games in friendlies and exhibitions and was decent. Seemed like a good lad too. Why not mention him?
Fair enough, I thought you were taking the urine out of him.

We need a keeper who doesn’t play with emotion. We’re stuck with a jumped up prat sticking his tongue out after mistakes and celebrating over-dramatic saves.

You’re only as good as your keeper, so I think we have to improve this area during the transfer window

Yes Neville was well past his best in the end, how we won that nail biting game with Wimbledon, when we stayed up,with Southall in goal that day was amazing, he was atrocious, missing centre after centre and sadly it wasn’t just that game.

Tbf he didn't have a great game that day, but the season after he did make saves that helped keep us up and also won a cup and the charity shield keeping a clean sheet in both, then the season after that we finished 6th. So even at that age he was still decent.

Tbf he didn't have a great game that day, but the season after he did make saves that helped keep us up and also won a cup and the charity shield keeping a clean sheet in both, then the season after that we finished 6th. So even at that age he was still decent.
Don’t agree with that to be honest, there were games that Neville was very poor in, the Bradford City cup game stands out, even in the cup final v United he made saves that he would caught standing up, at his best, he dived for them making them look harder than they were, one game v Bolton or Man. City, which we won 2-0, he was terrible, one shot hit the post with Neville standing still looking at it, but I am criticising a poor later version, not the fantastic goalkeeper he had been for the vast portion of his career. Basically I am saying it would have been better for Neville to have retired at Everton a couple of years before he eventually left.

I thought Myhre was excellent for about 90% of his time here. Seemed to suffer a crisis of confidence at the end and was then left out of the team to save some pennies so that we didn't trigger an extra payment.

The bizarre thing is someone dropped him for Gerrard.

Or someone mentioned if he played further matches there would be fees to be paid?

Having read the comments about Schmeichel being better than Southall I have to disagree, this isn’t me being biased but when you look at the saves he made in his prime from long or close range there was no better keeper. Schmeichel was good but not as good as Nev.

Interesting interview with some tips for Pickford.

Oh dear, oh dear. A club record appearance holder yet he's nomadic. (Face palms all over)

Screenshot_20200904-011407_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.