Neville Southall and other goalkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Staff member
Firstly to set my stall out, I went to my first game when we were title holders and have been lucky enough to see Neville Southall at his world class best. The best goalkeeper in the world and in my opinion, the best goalkeeper there has ever been.

Now as a result, do you think we judge subsequent goalies unfairly as we hold them up to a standard they can never reach, or should we expect them to reach those standards?

Since the great man we’ve only had a couple, literally, who could even lace his boots in Nigel Martyn and Tim Howard. I have left out the current custodian of the #1 shirt purposefully.

I am actually behind Jordan Pickford, he’s a decent young goalie.

My question is, do we hold goalkeepers up to an impossible standard or should we expect them to reach that level?

Personally no, true greats are just that. They are rare. However, I do appreciate quality and consistency in the nets even if they don't quite hit Nevs heights. There's something about Pickford that just doesn't convince at the moment. I didn't mind Joel. He was competent. Not excellent, but for the money, okay. But I knew he was just that. So did he. So did everyone. Pickford, I don't know, the fee and expectation just make him a target in some ways.

That's a ramble. I've had a few cans. Forgive me.

Personally no, true greats are just that. They are rare. However, I do appreciate quality and consistency in the nets even if they don't quite hit Nevs heights. There's something about Pickford that just doesn't convince at the moment. I didn't mind Joel. He was competent. Not excellent, but for the money, okay. But I knew he was just that. So did he. So did everyone. Pickford, I don't know, the fee and expectation just make him a target in some ways.

That's a ramble. I've had a few cans. Forgive me.
Joel never fully convinced me, at times I thought he’d dive too late and he had a good settled back 4 in front of him unlike Pickford, he’d be alright as back up right now though. I like Pickford he just needs to sort out his basics

I don't think so in honesty. We had a lot of keepers who chalked up an awful lot of games for us who were pretty low key but just got on with the job. Such as Myhre , Paul Gerrard and Simonsen who probably got around 100 starts between em. I think we have been spoiled a bit and had our fair share of good ones. They are like car windscreen demisters , you only know how good or bad the last one was until you use a new one. Something for certain is Richard Wright was a massive disappointment

Firstly to set my stall out, I went to my first game when we were title holders and have been lucky enough to see Neville Southall at his world class best. The best goalkeeper in the world and in my opinion, the best goalkeeper there has ever been.

Now as a result, do you think we judge subsequent goalies unfairly as we hold them up to a standard they can never reach, or should we expect them to reach those standards?

Since the great man we’ve only had a couple, literally, who could even lace his boots in Nigel Martyn and Tim Howard. I have left out the current custodian of the #1 shirt purposefully.

I am actually behind Jordan Pickford, he’s a decent young goalie.

My question is, do we hold goalkeepers up to an impossible standard or should we expect them to reach that level?

And yes without doubt Nev was the best. Dasayev had more global clout probably but all the purists knew The Binman was top dog

. I didn't mind Joel.
He was a decent keeper

I don't think so in honesty. We had a lot of keepers who chalked up an awful lot of games for us who were pretty low key but just got on with the job. Such as Myhre , Paul Gerrard and Simonsen who probably got around 100 starts between em. I think we have been spoiled a bit and had our fair share of good ones. They are like car windscreen demisters , you only know how good or bad the last one was until you use a new one. Something for certain is Richard Wright was a massive disappointment
We went from the best there has ever been, to utter dross.

Nev was a different level to normal keepers. He was one of the greatest to ever stand between the sticks. Mere mortals will never come close and we shouldn't hold that against them.

The big man was truly a once in a lifetime player.
He was THE greatest, not “one of”. He was the bogs dollocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.