Neville Southall and other goalkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a few years he was the best in the world and, as such, is in exalted company.

Nowadays there are, due to the biased, over hyped, nature of todays 'sky generation' too many 'bests in the world' (see henderson)

But most of them fall into the 'is ringo the best drummer in the world now?' catagory / trap / paradox.

The standard answer - 'he's not even the best drummer in the beatles mate.' Applies to almost all of them.

But not to Nev.

Those who know...etc etc.

Nev was in the Beatles ? Or nev likes to play the drums ? I

Nev was world class (agree with his politics too, and applaud his general decency) but better than Schmeichel is a big call.

The most vocal, dominant gk in the game, one on one I’ve never seen anyone better than the Dane. Very few forwards thrived on that challenge (Romario stands out as one that did). His best asset for me was his hands were like bricks..ball hits his hand the ball stays out, in contrast to most others where the ball would sometimes go through the hands (“chocolate wrists”).

Denmark winning the Euros he was enormous.

Southall was better ...

Nev was world class (agree with his politics too, and applaud his general decency) but better than Schmeichel is a big call.

The most vocal, dominant gk in the game, one on one I’ve never seen anyone better than the Dane. Very few forwards thrived on that challenge (Romario stands out as one that did). His best asset for me was his hands were like bricks..ball hits his hand the ball stays out, in contrast to most others where the ball would sometimes go through the hands (“chocolate wrists”).

Denmark winning the Euros he was enormous.

Both were great. Talking of hands did you ever see southall come for a cross. I cant ever remember him dropping a ball.
Both in their prime i'd have loved both. I can recall Schmeichel making errors. Im scratching my head to remember Southall errors.
Best in the world.

Nev
West
Howard
Martyn

in that order, are the only decent keepers we’ve had imo...Pickford doesn’t come close.......

Both were great. Talking of hands did you ever see southall come for a cross. I cant ever remember him dropping a ball.
Both in their prime i'd have loved both. I can recall Schmeichel making errors. Im scratching my head to remember Southall errors.
Best in the world.

He made errors like everyone else who has ever played the game but they were few and far between.

Firstly to set my stall out, I went to my first game when we were title holders and have been lucky enough to see Neville Southall at his world class best. The best goalkeeper in the world and in my opinion, the best goalkeeper there has ever been.

Now as a result, do you think we judge subsequent goalies unfairly as we hold them up to a standard they can never reach, or should we expect them to reach those standards?

Since the great man we’ve only had a couple, literally, who could even lace his boots in Nigel Martyn and Tim Howard. I have left out the current custodian of the #1 shirt purposefully.

I am actually behind Jordan Pickford, he’s a decent young goalie.

My question is, do we hold goalkeepers up to an impossible standard or should we expect them to reach that level?
Westy was good Nigel Martyn we should have got him first time around - both class keepers Nev was world class ......

Westy was good Nigel Martyn we should have got him first time around - both class keepers Nev was world class ......

I urge people to find the double save in the derby(its on youtube somewhere) just to see Aldridges face. Beardsley from the edge of the box. Heading into the corner. Nev gets down and gets a strong palm on it. Yozzer hughes comes steaming in for his glory moment. Gets a great connection. Nevs up and palms it round the post. Absolute world class keeping. The look on that sour faced kopites face lol lol lol

Of course. But the point was i cant recall southall making errors that cost games. Actualy i cant even remember the few and far between.

I can name a few but the majority were towards the end of his career where we weren't great anyhow so barely noticeable. He had a shocker against Wednesday one year but we lost by more than one. For Wales he cost us against Romania. For all what I say though he is still the best goalkeeper ever. (And my footballing hero - if you couldn't tell by my name and avatar)

The secret to being a decent keeper is to make good saves look easy. Not to make easy saves look hard, showboat, and confuse the issue. Pickford would fall into the latter category I would suggest. That is of course if he actually saves it at all lol
Neville was the best keeper for the Toffees in living memory but Westy was my own particular favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.