Net spend over 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebbiolo

Valuation: £108 million
I just found this on the internet:

5yearspendingcomparison.jpg

Interestingly, Arsenal are far lower spenders than most clubs, which shows what a good scouting network can do for you.

With anything like this, it can't take into account various factors. The Rooney money we received makes our spend appear relatively low, when in fact all of that money was put to good use. If we hadn't received such a windfall, yet still purchased the same players, we would be at number 5 in the league, rather than number 11. As you can see, we're in a cluster of about 6 clubs that has a net spend of around the £25m mark. Basically, there's hardly anything between 7th and 11th place.

So I think the idea that Moyes has had less opportunity to sign players compared to other managers, is actually false in real terms. Moyes has had his fair share of money by PL standards. Although in saying that, perhaps there exists be an argument regarding what he's been allowed to spend on wages, which would diminish that point somewhat.

Also, with clubs like Sunderland, they have been playing catch-up, and have had to open their wallets merely to stay in the PL.

It was interesting to see Liverpool at position number 2, which kinda pours water on their claims that they are always broke, which is why they can't compete with United. In fact, they've spent more than United.

Things the table can't take into account are unexpected windfalls like the Rooney money, wages being paid, free signings, value of current squads and where each team started from. That is, Sunderland may have spent a fair whack, but their first team was worth peanuts just a short time prior to that spending, and today would still be worth far less than the current Everton first team.

Oh, and of course, this is only up until 2008 season, so I can't offer comments on where we lie now in the league.

Spurs are scary aren't they when you consider that they've sold the likes of Carrick, Berbatov, Keane et al for big bucks in that period and still managed to spend £50m + net.

Spurs are scary aren't they when you consider that they've sold the likes of Carrick, Berbatov, Keane et al for big bucks in that period and still managed to spend £50m + net.

Shows you that unless you start from a position of strength (i.e. as an established CL team) that it is very difficult to buy your way in. For that to happen, I think you need to spend like Chelsea. That is why I'm always cautious of the demands from people that we spend £10m here, £15m there, and another £12m there. We might spend a lot of money and end up no nearer the desired goal.

You have to factor in last seasons spends though mate, which that chart doesnt include.

And lets be honest, we'd drop a few more places just on that - look at what City and Sunderland spent - and possibly Bolton.

KenWRONG out.

You have to factor in last seasons spends though mate, which that chart doesnt include.

And lets be honest, we'd drop a few more places just on that - look at what City and Sunderland spent - and possibly Bolton.

KenWRONG out.

I could be a smart-arse and say that if we just do the table from 05-06 season up until 08-09, we would be very high in the table, with a net spend of about £37m. Plus, while City might go higher, teams like Portsmouth, Boro and obviously Birmingham, will go lower. I'm pretty confident that our position would be maintained if we included this seasons figures as well. We're really not as low spending as is often made out.

Okay, now we need investment. I'm not denying that. But up until now, we've held our own.

Net spend only shows a small part of a club's spending. There's wage bill, how much it has increased by etc. and then there's signing on fees, plus net spend tables are based on guesses as more often than not they are signed for undisclosed fees, and ones which are announced often have all sorts of clauses meaning any figure is usually subject to change.

Arsenal may be one of the lowest spenders on transfer fees, but they are one of the highest on wages, whilst the likes of Wigan may be able to spend bigger on transfers because they save the money on wages etc.

Net spend only shows a small part of a club's spending. There's wage bill, how much it has increased by etc. and then there's signing on fees, plus net spend tables are based on guesses as more often than not they are signed for undisclosed fees, and ones which are announced often have all sorts of clauses meaning any figure is usually subject to change.

Arsenal may be one of the lowest spenders on transfer fees, but they are one of the highest on wages, whilst the likes of Wigan may be able to spend bigger on transfers because they save the money on wages etc.

Agreed. It's very difficult to really judge things. But often it is claimed that we spend less than any other PL club on transfers. I was just demonstrating that this isn't the case. I think the table indicates that we've held our own in that department. Plus, I think as far as getting value for money goes, Moyes would be right near the top. He's spent like a mid-table manager, but created a team which I think is probably valued higher than the net spend on it.

Interesting this because Manchester City have now took over us and Arsenal, if Wenger was willing to spend, we could lose a further two places in that table. That would just leave Bolton, West Ham, Fulham, Wigan and Blackburn below us of the Premier League. Despite us needing more funds, it is not a bad job our lads are doing seeing that we are consistantly challenging in the top 6 positions.

Interesting this because Manchester City have now took over us and Arsenal, if Wenger was willing to spend, we could lose a further two places in that table. That would just leave Bolton, West Ham, Fulham, Wigan and Blackburn below us of the Premier League. Despite us needing more funds, it is not a bad job our lads are doing seeing that we are consistantly challenging in the top 6 positions.

Moyes and the team have done well, everyone knows that. But also bear in mind that high spenders such as Tottingham and the Geordies have been consistently crap the last couple of seasons. Effectively, we have not had to compete with them due to their bad form. This has nothing to do with Everton doing something correct. So we can't take credit for pipping them to a UEFA spot.

I could be a smart-arse and say that if we just do the table from 05-06 season up until 08-09, we would be very high in the table, with a net spend of about £37m. Plus, while City might go higher, teams like Portsmouth, Boro and obviously Birmingham, will go lower. I'm pretty confident that our position would be maintained if we included this seasons figures as well. We're really not as low spending as is often made out.

Okay, now we need investment. I'm not denying that. But up until now, we've held our own.

True, but the longer the data is applicable for then the truer the value. If it was done to include this season then we'd be 12th or below which means that with us finishing sixth (on average) for the last five seasons then we've gained six places on the strength of our manager.

You also have to factor in that two of the clubs behind us having had all those seasons in the Prem so their earning potential hasnt been on an equal footing.

Its all Maths. By the way, Im with you on this - Im just doing that satan's avacado thing.

True, but the longer the data is applicable for then the truer the value. If it was done to include this season then we'd be 12th or below which means that with us finishing sixth (on average) for the last five seasons then we've gained six places on the strength of our manager.

You also have to factor in that two of the clubs behind us having had all those seasons in the Prem so their earning potential hasnt been on an equal footing.

Its all Maths. By the way, Im with you on this - Im just doing that satan's avacado thing.

But we wouldn't be 12th because Birmingham, Portsmouth and Boro would slip down. If anything, we'd be a place or so higher I think.

But I agree that Moyes deserves the credit for creating a top 6 team on a mid-table budget. he's been canny in the market, and has probably created a team worth twice the amount he paid for it.

It is often said in the media we punch above our weight. We don't, we punch at our weight. There are certainly no more than 5 or 6 clubs that have a better starting 11 than us at the moment.

MOYES OUT!

Jib the Saudis, the theatre man is where its at.

He told me that we'd signed Kanchelskis ages before anyone knew.

Contrary to popular forum opinion, Ive met him loads and I like him.

Jib the Saudis, the theatre man is where its at.

He told me that we'd signed Kanchelskis ages before anyone knew.

Contrary to popular forum opinion, Ive met him loads and I like him.

The Saudis will only wreck things. Better to let Snow White KenISRIGHT steer the ship onwards. Who wants to turn into a Sky team anyway? It would be crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.