Moyes vs Martinez: Pounds vs Points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that AF. The deduction then is that if RM is allowed to spend the 3rd highest amount of cash, the title is nailed on?

Thats right, miss out the Season in which he took a side from 11th to 18th and the Championship.

PFFFT

I suspect Martinez will actually come out even better if the stats for this season were added. It's mostly speculative but I think they spend comfortably less then everyone else but reading this year.

You can't claim that Martinez over achieves by 2 or 3 league places when they've just bombed out the league, as your stats ignore the present & therefore don't reflect the current reality.

Mate, surely a comparison of each managers fledgling years at each club would be more illuminating the figures shown give Moyes a 6 year bedding in period (or thereabouts) - not sure it's apples with apples tbh.

I'd do it myself but I'm a lazy tw@t.

Inflation, mate. Moyes spent so little then in comparison to what everyone spends now you can't compare the two.

Cracking analysis that, it shows that Martinez has talent to improve on what is expected of him from a financial point of view. Don't forget that Martinez is probably not the finished product as a manager yet considering he's only 39, compare this to Moyes who is 50.

Inflation, mate. Moyes spent so little then in comparison to what everyone spends now you can't compare the two.

If you really wanted to compare club's spending years ago you could add up the total spending for the league then divide each team's spending by the total league spending to get the percentage of total money spent by each club if you really want to compare spending for teams when Moyes first took over. This ignores inflation because it shows relative spend rather than a money value for spending. It'll be a pain in the arse like but it'll get the job done.

Last edited:
Diame is boss and I've just remember he has a release clause of about £3.5m and Martinez will deffo be up for getting him back. This excites me. Senegalese Lee Carsley.

Good point. He'd be great value! I'd take Fellaini for Diame + £20 million!

Last edited:
If you really wanted to compare club's spending years ago you could add up the total spending for the league then divide each team's spending by the total league spending to get the percentage of total money spent by each club if you really want to compare spending for teams when Moyes first took over. This ignores inflation because it shows relative spend rather than a money value for spending. It'll be a pain in the arse like but it'll get the job done.

Okay Moyes first full season he spent 37.95 million, which was the 12th most and finished 7th. This was in a season where all 20 teams spent 860 million so he spent 4.4% of the total money.

His second season he spent 34.65 million which was the 10th most and finished 17th. This was in a season where all 20 teams spent 1002.606 million so he spent 3.45% of the total money.

His third season he spent 10.6 million which was the 20th most, less than every other team in the league, and finished 4th. This was in a season where all 20 teams spent 899.725 million so he spent 1.17% of the total money.

In Martinez's first season he spent 23.7 million which was the 19th most and finish 16th. This was in a season where all 20 teams spent 1401.202 million so he spent 1.69% of the total money.

In his second season he spent 47.3 million which was the 15th most and finished 16th. This was in a season where all 20 teams spent 1798.825 so he spent 2.62% of the total money.

In his third season he spent 36 million which was the 19th most and finished 15th. This was in a season where all 20 teams spent 1817.55 million so he spent 1.9% of the total money.

So in Moyes first three seasons he spent an average of 3.0% of the leagues total and finished 7th, 17th and 4th.

In Martinez' first three seasons he spent an average of 2.07% of the leagues total and finished 16th, 16th and 15th.

Conclusions largely the same as the OP, tbh.

Great post AF
Worth noting that a large part of the reason Moyes has even had as much to spend as he has for transfers/wages, is because of the financial rewards of consistently finishing so far up the league. That was Moyes greatest achievement, probably the hardest thing to do at that level and what Martinez has in reality failed at by getting relegated.
Fortunately for Martinez, because of Moyes strength, he doesn't have to grow the team to something competitive with no money and can do what he's (hopefully) best at, which is playing open attacking football that can win things.
Could be a tag team that really propels us forwards... or an unmitigated disaster.. I am going to believe the first option until shown otherwise.

Have to say, whatever you think about Moyes, finishing 4th having spent less than every other club in the league with a team that finished 17th the year before minus their best player is one hell of an achievement.

He spent less that year, in relative terms, than any wigan manager was spent in any of their seasons in the top flight

He never quite replicated that season since but you can see why so many people were so impressed by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.