Moyes vs Martinez: Pounds vs Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allezfan

Player Valuation: 1p
I'm talking about the last wigan and the newest Man U manager so this might be better suited for world football but here goes.

Financial figures from this season haven't been released yet so I'll only be looking at 2011-12 and earlier.

Martinez took over Wigan at the beginning of 2009, they were 11th and went onto finish 15th, 16th and 16th over the next three years. In those three years, he spent 23.8 million on transfers, 2.63 million on agents and 116.9 million on wages on wages. He also made 43.75 million on players sold. So all in all 109.78 million or 36.59 million a year.

In the same three years, Moyes had a team who'd just finished 5th twice in a row and went onto finish 7th, 7th and 8th. Moyes spent 29.5 million on transfers, 9.6 million on agents and 175 million on wages. He also made 46.5 million on players sold. So all in all 167.6 million or 55.86 million a year.

So Martinez spent 36.59 million a year and averaged a position of 16th.
Moyes spent 55.86 million a year and averaged a position of 7th.

None of that says anything unless you know how much other teams spent.

In 2009-10, Moyes spent the 14th most and finished 8th. Martinez spent the 19th most and finish 16th.

In 2010-11, Moyes spent the 11th most and finished 7th. Martinez spent the 17th most and finished 16th.

In 2011-12, Moyes spent the 14th most and finished 7th. Martinez spent the 19th most and finished 15th.

So on average Moyes finished 5 2/3 places better than the money dictates. Martinez finished an average 2 2/3 places better.

But that only tells half the story because it doesn't tell the gaps in spending between them and other clubs.

In those three years:

Man City spent 798.4 million or 266.13 million a year.
Chelsea spent 721.7 million or 240,56 million a year.
Man Utd spent 444.55 mil or 148.18 million a year.
Liverpool spent 421.98 mil or 140.66 million a year.
Arsenal spent 350.23 mil or 116.74 million a year.
Spurs spent 257.1 million or 85.7 million a year.
Villa spent 244.33 million or 81.44 million a year.
QPR spent 81.05 million in their single PL season.
West Ham spent 134.4 million in their two PL seasons so 67.2 million a year
Stoke spent 195 million or 65 million a year.
Sunderland spent 192.9 million or 64.3 million a year.
Fulham spent 187.45 million or 62.48 million a year.
Birmingham spent 115.5 million in their two PL seasons so 57.75 million a year.
Newcastle spent 114.32 million in their two PL seasons so 57.15 million a year.
Moyes' Everton spent 55.86 million a year.
Bolton spent 167.04 million or 55.68 million a year.
Wolves spent 145.55 million or 48.51 million a year.
West Brom spent 96.9 million in their two PL seasons so 48.3 million a year.
Hull spent 45 million in their single Pl season.
Swansea spent 44.55 million in their single Pl season.
Norwich spent 44.25 million in their single Pl season.
Blackburn spent 111.77 million or 37.25 million a year.
Martinez' Wigan spent 36.59 million a year.
Burnley spent 30 million in their single PL season.
Blackpool spent 17.77 million in their single PL season.
Portsmouth made money in their single PL season.

Essentially Moyes 55.86 acts like 83 million spent elsewhere and Martinez' 36.57 million acts like 45 million spent elsewhere.

So you'd expect 148% out of Moyes and 123% out of Martinez.

Now just looking at those three years is not an entirely fair comparison. Moyes inherited a team finishing 5th, that was his own and played the way he wanted them to, martinez a team 11th that he'd never worked with before. Also in Martinez' favour wigan's money isn't the same as everton's money as everton has more to offer a player outside wages and if he can get 123% out of wigan he might easily get 150% out of better players like everton's as they'll take to his style better.

And in Moyes' favour at the top end of the table the competition is better. Out performing Wenger and Redknapp is harder then outperforming McCliesh.

Also, pounds per point as by no way the only way to judge a manager. If it was everyone would go for Allardyce who's the best at it. But I'd rather watch a team who play lovely football, win a cup and finish 11th than one who plays like stoke, bottles the cup and finishes 6th.

But in any case Martinez purely in terms of points per pound is better than the average PL manager. He regularly finished 2 to 3 places better than he would if all managers were equally good. At everton however we're used to finishing 5 to 6 places better than that so he needs to up his game.

Last edited:
Haha. Seriously though, good work AF. Surprised you could be arsed to do that!

One thing I mentioned earlier in another thread is if you look over Wigan's past transfer dealings you can see that a good proportion of their players that moved on actually moved on for free. Rodallaga, Diame, Bramble and loads more. There's a good few £Ms there that could have tipped those stats quite easily.

How many players left Everton for free that would have fetched a little money?

Now I know you could easily turn around and say "Yeah but it's his fault for not selling them earlier or getting them on a new contract", but if ANY other team in the PL offered you a move, would you stay at Wigan? They obviously have a bit of trouble keeping on to players.

I'm not going to lie, I would have preferred Pereira or Laudrup, but I'm satisfied with Martinez.

Certainly puts Martinez in a better light than I'd previously thought but let's face it we can analyse it all we want, only time will tell. Bill will love that profit on sales though.

More importantly, I was expecting some nudity here, you've let me down.

Haha. Seriously though, good work AF. Surprised you could be arsed to do that!

One thing I mentioned earlier in another thread is if you look over Wigan's past transfer dealings you can see that a good proportion of their players that moved on actually moved on for free. Rodallaga, Diame, Bramble and loads more. There's a good few £Ms there that could have tipped those stats quite easily.

How many players left Everton for free that would have fetched a little money?

Now I know you could easily turn around and say "Yeah but it's his fault for not selling them earlier or getting them on a new contract", but if ANY other team in the PL offered you a move, would you stay at Wigan? They obviously have a bit of trouble keeping on to players.

I'm not going to lie, I would have preferred Pereira or Laudrup, but I'm satisfied with Martinez.

Diame is boss and I've just remember he has a release clause of about £3.5m and Martinez will deffo be up for getting him back. This excites me. Senegalese Lee Carsley.

Diame is boss and I've just remember he has a release clause of about £3.5m and Martinez will deffo be up for getting him back. This excites me. Senegalese Lee Carsley.

In a normal market he would have fetched comfortably £4m+. I appreciate he's done well at West Ham so his stock will be higher than it was then but he was still a decent player. I'd love to see him here though, right next to Gibson.

Mate, surely a comparison of each managers fledgling years at each club would be more illuminating the figures shown give Moyes a 6 year bedding in period (or thereabouts) - not sure it's apples with apples tbh.

I'd do it myself but I'm a lazy tw@t.

Status
Not open for further replies.