2018/19 Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
His days will surely be numbered when we get everyone fit and available.
Thank God. Gomes would not have joined to sit on the bench. The only way I can see Schneiderlin playing is if Silva opts for him instead of Gueye, but fingers crossed that won't happen.

thought he played well the other day, to be honest he was fairly decent during most of allardyces reign. hes just a boo boy now

the elbow at lyon will have been the final straw for most

thought he played well the other day, to be honest he was fairly decent during most of allardyces reign. hes just a boo boy now

the elbow at lyon will have been the final straw for most

Don't know about that mate, he picked up a little maybe the last 3 games of the season, most teams had their flip flops on by then though.

Gueye tries to move with the ball at the very least. The thing that disappoints me about Morgan the most is that he can so obviously do it. For whatever reason, he chooses not to and often puts us in a bind. He should be all over the field to cover and show for our players, yet he chooses not to on too many occasions.

Gueye also tends to get vital interceptions up the field, which is the main reason I’d have him over Morgan. If he improved in those areas, he’d easily have the shout over Gueye for his size alone on set pieces.

It will take Marco Silva two or three transfer windows to get the squad that he wants. We will see players leaving but not at the headlong pace that we have seen this summer.

This is a season of transition where players will convince the manager they are worth keeping or get moved on in January or next summer.
I would regard Morgan Schneiderlin as a player that could bring in a good fee , together with Lookman and a couple of others and I think balancing the books will be important for us going forward as it is for all clubs.
It isn't about being good or bad for some of these players it will be about being the right fit.

It’s become fashionable to slate Morgan at every opportunity. He’s probably our best central midfielder at present though.
Lets all be Sheeple and hate him.

He is a good player, i would drop Gueye before him but it will be Siggy who drops out the team for Gomes.
People dislike him for a reason, He offers the same as Gana and Gana does a better job at what he does on his own, There is no "sheeple" movement. He is taking up a space that makes our midfield terrible because both of them don't pass forward.

People dislike him for a reason, He offers the same as Gana and Gana does a better job at what he does on his own, There is no "sheeple" movement. He is taking up a space that makes our midfield terrible because both of them don't pass forward.
Well neither of the two statements in bold are exactly true. Firstly, yes they're both DMs, however their style of play and individual attributes are vastly different.

Gana is more akin to the effective yet fashionable Kanté with his quick tempo, harrying and daring tackles; he will also attempt to move with the ball at his feet.

For me Schneiderlin is the more intelligent footballer who uses his movement and positioning to discretely break up play. He's also technically better with the ball.

That's not saying he (Morgan) is a better footballer or vice versa, but rather they're both different and as such suit different styles of play and/or opposition.

I do think however that Morgan is more discrete in his play because as I mentioned Gana plays at a higher tempo, flies back for tackles and is overtly physical.

Like you mentioned however, neither are very offensively so I think opinions on how effective they are boils down to what you expect a defensive midfielder to do.

With regards to the second point, as I've mentioned previously I do think there is a bit of a movement against Morgan - rightly or wrongly - based on last year.

In all reality, I'd much prefer we kept both players as I do feel they can both offer something to the squad when you consider the alternative styles we'll face.

And if Morgan can rekindle some of his previous form, then I genuinely do think he could be one of our best midfielders again - if not the best - but it's a big ask.

Well neither of the two statements in bold are exactly true. Firstly, yes they're both DMs, however their style of play and individual attributes are vastly different.

Gana is more akin to the effective yet fashionable Kanté with his quick tempo, harrying and daring tackles; he will also attempt to move with the ball at his feet.

For me Schneiderlin is the more intelligent footballer who uses his movement and positioning to discretely break up play. He's also technically better with the ball.

That's not saying he (Morgan) is a better footballer or vice versa, but rather they're both different and as such suit different styles of play and/or opposition.

I do think however that Morgan is more discrete in his play because as I mentioned Gana plays at a higher tempo, flies back for tackles and is overtly physical.

Like you mentioned however, neither are very offensively so I think opinions on how effective they are boils down to what you expect a defensive midfielder to do.

With regards to the second point, as I've mentioned previously I do think there is a bit of a movement against Morgan - rightly or wrongly - based on last year.

In all reality, I'd much prefer we kept both players as I do feel they can both offer something to the squad when you consider the alternative styles we'll face.

And if Morgan can rekindle some of his previous form, then I genuinely do think he could be one of our best midfielders again - if not the best - but it's a big ask.
For me a DM has always been the Kante style, Trying to get the ball back quickly as possible by going in with high tackles and pressuring the opposition and I think that's all we need, He can just give and go with the midfielder who will actually do something with the ball because Gana is terrible passing wise most of the time. It comes down to the person in how they like a DM to be and for me Gana can do that job easily on his own. Morgan is better on the ball yes but whats the point if all he does is go sideways? We can't carry on with a midfield pairing of these two who pretty much are similar imo and both are too scared to push it forward.

Agree with that, though I think with Schneiderlin we kind of know the script...

I think he played well for the situation we were in in the 2nd half. But he needs to step up and start getting on the ball/offering for it if he's to stay in the team imo.
9 players plus Schneiderlin

Nobody can still answer my question on what he is actually supposed to do. He does not dictate play, he doesn't drive forward, he doesn't break up play! He's not box to box, he's not like anyone..I'm not comparing him to any of these far better players, but just trying to work out what style he is: not Carrick or Alonso, not Pirlo, not Gerrard or Lampard, not Modric, not Kroos, not Khedira, not De Rossi....not Pogba..what is he supposed to do for us ?Shame Davies didn't kick on cos that place is there for the taking! Interesting that neither Davies nor Besic are considered good replacements, so Gomes is hopefully coming in for Schneiderlin for next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.