2018/19 Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he could play a fair bit, especially at home if we have two more creative midfielders in the midfield three, based on Silva saying Morgan can play on his own and cover the other two.

Sharpy on that pod cast praised schnerderlin for his performance on Saturday. He admitted he was poor last season, but stressed new manager with new ideas it might see schnerderlin perform better on a more regular basis. I think he’s going to need to if he he doesn’t want to be replaced when Gomes gets fit.

Sharpy on that pod cast praised schnerderlin for his performance on Saturday. He admitted he was poor last season, but stressed new manager with new ideas it might see schnerderlin perform better on a more regular basis. I think hes going to need to if he he doesn’t want to be replaced when Gomes gets fit.

Well we know Sig will put the work in aswell as creat and if gomes can slip into that same role then I'd like to see us with just 1 of gueye or schneid, I think it will all come down to who can keep the ball moving quick enough and being that perfect link between our back line and midfield, although he aint the most loved man at the mo if he can get his head back in the game and start enjoying football again then the position is his for taking. (Unless we can go back to our Spanish friends and pinch busquets, well we can always dream. But he would certainly compliment the system we should be aiming for.

9 players plus Schneiderlin

Nobody can still answer my question on what he is actually supposed to do. He does not dictate play, he doesn't drive forward, he doesn't break up play! He's not box to box, he's not like anyone..I'm not comparing him to any of these far better players, but just trying to work out what style he is: not Carrick or Alonso, not Pirlo, not Gerrard or Lampard, not Modric, not Kroos, not Khedira, not De Rossi....not Pogba..what is he supposed to do for us ?Shame Davies didn't kick on cos that place is there for the taking! Interesting that neither Davies nor Besic are considered good replacements, so Gomes is hopefully coming in for Schneiderlin for next week!

The plan was definitely for him to come in and do a bit of all of the above mate, I think, and in that first few months he did just that.

Since September 2017 that has disappeared and his 'best' moments now come when we're sitting deep and he manages to win some tackles/fouls and interceptions.

Well we know Sig will put the work in aswell as creat and if gomes can slip into that same role then I'd like to see us with just 1 of gueye or schneid, I think it will all come down to who can keep the ball moving quick enough and being that perfect link between our back line and midfield, although he aint the most loved man at the mo if he can get his head back in the game and start enjoying football again then the position is his for taking. (Unless we can go back to our Spanish friends and pinch busquets, well we can always dream. But he would certainly compliment the system we should be aiming for.

Pretty sure this will be the plan.

And, given the style of player Gomes is, he'd seem to fit much more naturally alongside Gueye than Schneiderlin.

Pretty sure this will be the plan.

And, given the style of player Gomes is, he'd seem to fit much more naturally alongside Gueye than Schneiderlin.

Yes, seems like 2 DM not required if Sigurdsson plays more like he does for Iceland, which is no.10 but also with a lot of defensive duties. I feel like 2 DM and 1 AM is a bit old fashioned now, and you need 3 Midfielders who are good at defense and shifting quickly to attack, but with one player always responsible for settling back. Given above questions about Schneiderlin, I don't know what kind of midfielder Davies will turn into, and Dowell will have to make sure he's not a luxury player, but is good at hard work and attack both.

Schneiderlin was good compared to the lowly standards he set last season, nothing more. He tried one long diagonal to Coleman in the first half and missed him by about 8 yards. Played it safe after that. Hope Gomes replaces him once integrated fully into the squad.

Yes, seems like 2 DM not required if Sigurdsson plays more like he does for Iceland, which is no.10 but also with a lot of defensive duties. I feel like 2 DM and 1 AM is a bit old fashioned now, and you need 3 Midfielders who are good at defense and shifting quickly to attack, but with one player always responsible for settling back. Given above questions about Schneiderlin, I don't know what kind of midfielder Davies will turn into, and Dowell will have to make sure he's not a luxury player, but is good at hard work and attack both.

Agree entirely.

And imo the best player for that sweeping role that we have currently is Gana. He showed in his first six months and during spells last season that when left alone to do that role he is excellent. He has the athleticism to cover the pitch and his 'lack of discipline (positionally)' isn't an issue when he's not pushing high up the pitch, as he has the pace to get back.

The question is who do you pair him with.

Heading into the summer, I thought we needed a 'Doucoure' type to play that box-to-box role, and they could fit in alongside Gana or Schneiderlin.

But, there was a definite need for someone better on the ball as well (a Banega/Arteta type, if you will) - and in Gomes we, for whatever else his faults, at least have a player who can get on the ball and set the tempo should we give him the time/space to do so.

For me a DM has always been the Kante style, Trying to get the ball back quickly as possible by going in with high tackles and pressuring the opposition and I think that's all we need.
Getting ball back as quickly as possible and being able to use physicality are musts, but my point is that there's different styles in which to achieve this.

Think back to the likes of Makélélé and Busquets. Now Morgan is obviously nowhere near their stature, but they were fantastic at positoning and reading play.

9 players plus Schneiderlin

Nobody can still answer my question on what he is actually supposed to do. He does not dictate play, he doesn't drive forward, he doesn't break up play! He's not box to box, he's not like anyone..I'm not comparing him to any of these far better players, but just trying to work out what style he is: not Carrick or Alonso, not Pirlo, not Gerrard or Lampard, not Modric, not Kroos, not Khedira, not De Rossi....not Pogba..what is he supposed to do for us ?Shame Davies didn't kick on cos that place is there for the taking! Interesting that neither Davies nor Besic are considered good replacements, so Gomes is hopefully coming in for Schneiderlin for next week!
Busquets is the best comparison in style. The languid nature and ability to break up play without being particularly noticed. (Obviously nowhere near as good.)

Just play Gana on his own. I lost count of the number of times he could have sprinted into position to make an angle for our centrebacks to pass to him – you know, like all good players in that position do – and instead he either just watches and doesn't want the ball, or drops all the way back so he can make sure he's under no pressure when he does get it. Stop being scared please bro.

If anyone wants to see what Schneiderlin should be doing, watch Rodri for Atletico in tonight's game.

Reactions: ozz

Status
Not open for further replies.