Matthew Pennington off to Stoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Kenny and Davies; depends on whether we consider Pennington and Dowell to be squad players.
I don’t consider Dowell or Pennington or any player on loan to be a squad player
It’s very hard for a young player to break into a PL team compared to European leagues
So we have 2 players from the academy , an academy that is highly rated and an under 23 team which has won the league twice in succession and a double this year
As I said one every 3 or 4 year is doing well
Players bought at 17/18/ 19 don’t count as academy players on my mind

We need to cull the standard of pennington/kenny/ dowell buy selling them once its clear they are not going to make the grade. And its clear. Will be decent championship players and thats fair enough.
Exactly
If you are not going to challenge for a first team squad place at 22 it’s tome to sell
A lot of these lads are English under 21 internationals and have won international trophies so there is a decent fee to be got
If you sold
Dowell , Pennington , Davies , Kenny , Garbutt Robinson ,Lookman , Vlasic and got 80 m you could buy a top quality CF and the squad would not miss any of those players

I don’t consider Dowell or Pennington or any player on loan to be a squad player
It’s very hard for a young player to break into a PL team compared to European leagues
So we have 2 players from the academy , an academy that is highly rated and an under 23 team which has won the league twice in succession and a double this year
As I said one every 3 or 4 year is doing well
Players bought at 17/18/ 19 don’t count as academy players on my mind

....well there’s certainly a change in strategy. Last years U23 team contained a lot of players bought from elsewhere.

Good luck to the lad but lets get some cash in the bank from us developing him if his not an option to be a squad player for us! Time to sell rather than let our younger players just help other teams and not us! His been on loan numerous times and it seems to be his not at the standard we need or want!

Can only think of
Kane
TAA
Foden

Spurs have winks and that other mid I can’t remeber but they aren’t exactly regulars... Danny rose? He came through? Spurs have done pretty well thinking about it, signed Ali when he was young too.

Old bobby really knew how to pick a player
Looking for cb was Mori or VVD and picked mori went to MK dons and picked up Galloway when Ali was there lol

Exactly
If you are not going to challenge for a first team squad place at 22 it’s tome to sell
A lot of these lads are English under 21 internationals and have won international trophies so there is a decent fee to be got
If you sold
Dowell , Pennington , Davies , Kenny , Garbutt Robinson ,Lookman , Vlasic and got 80 m you could buy a top quality CF and the squad would not miss any of those players

Why even bother with a youth academy if you're going to sell any player who comes out of it that isn't instantly world class?

A number of those players could still improve. You can't have an arbitrary cut off point, that's just idiocy

Everyone develops at different speeds. We've not even seen Robinson get a proper go yet, nor really Lookman or Vlasic either

Status
Not open for further replies.