Match of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many to say really and missed bayern home live had to listen on radio in pub near North Circular so I think people watching my reactions probably felt they were there!! Here are a few

Glorious failure.....Fiorentina
OMG we are ace....RS away Sharpie and beating MU 5-0 the next Saturday
Least expected brilliance.....Spurs semi at Elland road....fans were unbelievable but I never saw that brilliant performance coming at all. It was like the ghosts of the 85 team descended on them!!!
Sheer excitement.... Penalty shoot out vs Moenchen Gladbach
Still check in case we lost... Wimbledon 94. Feel sick every time I think of it. Listened on radio in darkened room because sprog 3 just born
Sheer noise away villa league cup first replay at hillsborough
How did we get out of that? Luton FA semi 1985, Sheedy and Mountfield
Broken hearted... Lots but RS in 71, 86 and 2012 just edge City semi at Villa park in 69
Take that you RS and shut up......Andy King Derby 1978 and cup Imre Varadi 1981 (Madame Allezlesbleus Derby debut!She sort of got Everton from then!!!)
Sheer sit back and enjoy......everton 3 RS 0, thanks Tim and AJ

Looking at the lineup for that game it's not a terrible team on paper is it. How bad must Mike Walker have been.
I got to know one of the Wimbledon defenders in the late 90s, he told me they were all very scared, especially after the coach was burnt out (stayed at the Daresbury), and fans outside. Vinny Jones especially as he knew he was hated at GP after the ratcliffe headbut (89?). Jones told manager at 1/2 time to take him off 10 mins before the end if EFC not winning or he'd go down injured and force change. Only thing my mate wouldn't talk about was what was said to Segers after the game.
god bless the beautifully corrupt hans segers

The semi vs Spurs and as per @ijjysmith it was much sweeter with a Spurs supporting brother.

Not in my lifetime but from footage I've seen of the 66 Cup final I'd have loved to have been at that and it also produced one of my favourite ever clips of the Everton fan sprinting across Wembley with police in hot pursuit before rugby tackling him.
It was possibly youthful ignorance, but after we beat the RS and utd, that season I felt we would every game, that team respected no one, the prem had never seen anything like a 24 year duncan ferguson, even alan hansen was in awe, against newcastle, spurs and the final against utd, I remember being told by older fans we might come unstuck here, but I also remember having complete confidence we would win these games, though I was cruelly born in 84 and this was the first decent side I had witnessed!

It was possibly youthful ignorance, but after we beat the RS and utd, that season I felt we would every game, that team respected no one, the prem had never seen anything like a 24 year duncan ferguson, even alan hansen was in awe, against newcastle, spurs and the final against utd, I remember being told by older fans we might come unstuck here, but I also remember having complete confidence we would win these games, though I was cruelly born in 84 and this was the first decent side I had witnessed!

To this day that Ferguson header against Liverpool that season is probably about as mental as I've gone celebrating a goal

Another incredible day...

What was the feeling like around the ground from the supporters going in to that game, and then at half time when we were behind? I know in typical fashion we ended up losing in the final anyway, but I just couldn't imagine Everton in a big game like that coming from behind and winning right at the end.

Who is comparable these days in the Premier League to the Luton back then as well?

I was born a few years after that game so whilst I remember the 95 FA Cup win, it isn't as enjoyable as what it would be now.

Having seen some of the games mentioned in this thread, it's a bit embarrassing that since 1995, a penalty shoot out win against a young Man United side is the highlight for a lot of people my age, and other than that, I would say the Fiorentina game that we lost was also a stand out.

The Fiorentina game was probably the best atmosphere I have witnessed at Goodison along with a few derbies, the Man United game in 04/05 and surprisingly Chelsea in the Cup last season.

The best performance I have seen from us is the Arsenal 3-0 in 2013-14 or the Sunderland Cup Quarter Final replay in 2012.

What was the feeling like around the ground from the supporters going in to that game, and then at half time when we were behind? I know in typical fashion we ended up losing in the final anyway, but I just couldn't imagine Everton in a big game like that coming from behind and winning right at the end.

Who is comparable these days in the Premier League to the Luton back then as well?

I was born a few years after that game so whilst I remember the 95 FA Cup win, it isn't as enjoyable as what it would be now.

Having seen some of the games mentioned in this thread, it's a bit embarrassing that since 1995, a penalty shoot out win against a young Man United side is the highlight for a lot of people my age, and other than that, I would say the Fiorentina game that we lost was also a stand out.

The Fiorentina game was probably the best atmosphere I have witnessed at Goodison along with a few derbies, the Man United game in 04/05 and surprisingly Chelsea in the Cup last season.

The best performance I have seen from us is the Arsenal 3-0 in 2013-14 or the Sunderland Cup Quarter Final replay in 2012.
It was the Saturday after the 0-0 away first leg to Bayern Munich and the brilliant run was just going on and on. But Luton were a decent team and had nothing to lose. We were very sluggish early on and took ages to get going. But that team had an exceptional mentality as well as loads of skill and on the rare occasions like this that they struggled for form they could dig deep to find a way.....once we got going in last half hour driven on by Reid in particular and after they missed good chance for a second goal the momentum swung strongly our way...fans and players knew it. We still only needed one moment of magic to save the game and have a chance of extra time.

Looking back,I don't think I savoured those great games like I should have,Highbury semi-final,Watford final,and all the games that followed,I think it was a mixture of feeling invincible and thinking it would never end,looking back I realise that I witnessed some of the greatest moments in this clubs history

Status
Not open for further replies.