Match of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wembley 1966...first time ever in the National Stadium watching My team in an F.A.Cup Final....
Gutted and crying at 2-0 down.
Inconsolable,downhearted,forlorn with no prospect of a victory anywhere in my mind.....Then Trebilcock gets 2...hope above all hope...Despair turns into thorough expectation that we can do this ..its On....Colin Harvey delivers a superb raking pass from our defence..Derek Temple moves in and grabs his chance after a mistake by the Sheff Wed. defender.....absolute mayhem.... We are 3-2 up unbelievable...tears of joy now and all the walk down Wembley Way singing our heads off...
Untouchable.... And that includes many wonderful results ever since.....
You had to be there....

My late Dad was on the Kop that day too. Said there was nowhere else he would rather have been that day!!! Not so good next season like when we blew a 2 goal lead but he was delirious coming home from that one.

The next season mate was that when we got beat 3-2. I think Brian Hall and Alun Evans scored their goals IIRC

The United semi-final on penalties. I paced the room, could barely watch each kick. At the end I held my baby son, the wife said he had watched me and not the TV. As I held him he was crying but also laughing at the same time.

It just summed it all up for me.

I was there then too doh!

The next season mate was that when we got beat 3-2. I think Brian Hall and Alun Evans scored their goals IIRC
Not sure who scored for us or them! I think Heighway ripped us apart in last twenty minutes after we had dominated. My dad had said after the previous season he would never go to Anfield again because it could never be as sweet as that victory which virtually clinched the league. Having broken that vow to go again and witness the most painful way of losing there while on the Kop again he was truly gutted. Kept the vow after that!! Never darkened their door again.

Wembley 1966...first time ever in the National Stadium watching My team in an F.A.Cup Final....
Inconsolable,downhearted,forlorn with no prospect of a victory anywhere in my mind.....Then Trebilcock gets 2...hope above all hope...Despair turns into thorough expectation that we can do this ..its On....Colin Harvey delivers a superb raking pass from our defence..Derek Temple moves in and grabs his chance after a mistake by the Sheff Wed. defender.....absolute mayhem.... We are 3-2 up unbelievable...tears of joy now and all the walk down Wembley Way singing our heads off...
You had to be there....
I think it is fair to say that if you were at this one there is no other contender!!!

I was one of the lucky ones there so for me it has to be the Bayern Munich game. The atmosphere was the loudest I've ever known, the come back, the achievement of our 1st Euro final knowing we'd defo win it and likely an unprecedented treble. There som questions in the thread from younger fans about this game so thought I'd have a go at putting into context at the time. Indulge me....

We look back now knowing that was an incredible team, packed with fantastic players that won the lot, but at the time it wasn't yet inevitable the season would end as it did. The Bayern game was the peak of that season so far and the nature of the win against a very good Bayern team was a loud statement to European football, and to our club that we really were the best in Europe. Everton the best in Europe and maybe the world, just imagine.

Remember we started the '84/'85 season poorly, and even when form got better in the Autumn, beating RS and then smashing Utd on consecutive weekend the press, Footy Focus, MOTD were saying Lpool or Utd would win the league, Everton have no household names, won't last the course etc....Remember Bobby Robson picking his England squads without any Everton players and the GP crowd singing "bobby robson, you're a wxxxxr" when he attended our games. Then the Xmas run began. Win after win in the League, and we sailed thru the relatively easy earlier CWC rounds avoiding the big names like Barcelona, Roma, Porto, Dynamo Dresden, Celtic and of course Bayern Munich.

By March/April '85 the team was getting the deserved recognition and the "team without household names" was now the team with Sharp, Gray, Reid, Southall, Sheedy, Steven. Everton players started to be called up to the England team, and the press finally woke up to this great run and the bandwagon began.
I remember being confident we could beat any team, but as the rounds progressed and the big names got knocked out hoping we'd avoid Bayern until the final.So of course we get the tough semi final draw : Bayern Munich.
The run up to the away leg : beat one of the main title rivals, Spurs away. Then batter Sunderland at home 4-1, with amazing performance and brilliant brilliant goals. We now KNOW "we're gonna win the league".

First leg away, so as long as keep it tight we'll have great chance back at Goodison. Result 0:0. Perfect.
Next game, 3 days later FA cup semi final win vs Luton "we're on the march with Howard's army..." and then 2 more easy wins "we're going to win the league..."
So the 2nd leg arrives, just look at the Bayern team, full of world class players and internationals. Piaff in goal, Dremmler, Augenthaler, Lothar Matteus, Eder, Kogl, Lerby, Dieter Hoeness. On the bench Andreas Brehme and Rumminnigge. A very good team, and I remember the really fast Kogl being the main concern.
Atmosphere was brilliant, helped by all 4 side being home fans. I was in the middle of the Upper Park End with my dad and one of his pals. The roar from the St End coming up the pitch was awesome, could physically feel the power of the noise. Can't imagine how the players felt.
Tight game, nervous team and crowd in parts and is clear we're not going to just batter them in the way we've become accustomed. Then, just before half time disaster, Hoeness rounds Southall and scores into the St End for the quietest goal I've ever heard. Oh no, we now have to score twice.
The second half begins like a train, Everton kicking into St End, early goal. Everton bombard BM but they're hanging on, and all the while have those pacey forwards to catch us on the break. Then Gray scores with 15 to go, pandemonium. But still BM only need to get 1 to go through. Cue tricky Trev with 4 mins to go. Only now we know we're thru to the final and means we'll win the league, CWC, and most likely the FA cup too (we already Utd 5-0 this season right?).

Everton are back, we're best team in England by a distance, we'll win the CWC now no question, we'll be in European Cup next season and who can possibly beat us, now have team full of young internationals and household names (bobby robson, you're a wxxxxr songs), Reidy is Writers Player of the Yr, Southall is Players Player of the Yr, we've stolen Lpool's thunder we are now the best team in England, Europe The future couldn't be brighter.

That's what the game felt like to me, 15 yrs old and 100% sure the next 10 yrs is all about the blues.

Except it wasn't to be.

The most emotional I've been was the victory against Wimbledon on the final game of the 94 season. 2-0 down before an incredible comeback. The scenes at the end of grown men crying said it all. Could so easily be a different picture for us now if we had have gone down then or in 98.

Best game ever - Bayern second leg, nothing comes close

Worst game ever - Glen Keeley Derby match

Most boring game - vs Coventry at Goodison they played in a chocolate brown kit with white socks, not a single chance either end for a 0 -0 draw.....

You had to be there....
My old dad always reckons the last ten minutes when we'd gone 3-2 up were the longest of his life!Wednesday knew Westie was carrying a hip injury and bombarded us with crosses!!wish I'd been old enough to go myself!!!

5-0 Man United

27 October 1984

They may not have been at the levels they would reach under Ferguson, but any win over them is big.

This was off the scale and it wasn't even a surprise at the time. There was no huge fuss.

Oh for the days we would play big games like this and think "yeah, we'll beat them easy enough"

Both my favourite games didn't include Everton. They were both on telly. One was Liverpool V Chelsea in May 2014 (DEMBER BA).
The other was Liverpool V Arsenal April 1989 (MICHAEL THOMAS).
On other occasions good games involved CHARLIE GEORGE & ERIC CANTONA. I think Dember takes the biscuit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.