2017/18 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has to take this opportunity, him and Keane has some good potential ;)
Agreed. This will tell me if he is truly a 'tweener' or if he can make up for the height that he lacks with positioning and athleticism. He is a good tackler, but I could see him getting out muscled in the center.

Missed the second half, how was the boy at CB overall?
He was actually fairly decent, but he was largely responsible for the goal (tbf the goal was fantastic and Holgate had no outlet for the entire game). Overall I was pretty impressed with what I saw in the back 2 and he might make a decent partner with Keane for the non grock sides.

Personally I felt really sorry for Holgate today.

1 -- He had Cuco on his right, essentially he's got to cover two defensive positions on the right side of the defence.

2 -- Williams was his partner, yet again another poor performance and it was interesting to watch Holgate run past him to cover the left side of defence a couple of times with Williams totally stationary.

However, he looked very comfortable when Kenny came on + he also had the confidence to make a few very good passes (booted up to DCL) in the game even with no one to pass to before Davies came on.

Wouldn't say he was 100% 'at fault' for the goal...the defensive midfielders were nowhere to be seen and the rest of the defence was so deep King had a lot of space. Great play by King rather than Holgate to blame imo.

Personally I felt really sorry for Holgate today.

1 -- He had Cuco on his right, essentially he's got to cover two defensive positions on the right side of the defence.

2 -- Williams was his partner, yet again another poor performance and it was interesting to watch Holgate run past him to cover the left side of defence a couple of times with Williams totally stationary.

However, he looked very comfortable when Kenny came on + he also had the confidence to make a few very good passes (booted up to DCL) in the game even with no one to pass to before Davies came on.

Wouldn't say he was 100% 'at fault' for the goal...the defensive midfielders were nowhere to be seen and the rest of the defence was so deep King had a lot of space. Great play by King rather than Holgate to blame imo.
Holgate was very decent. We would have been thrashed if he wasn't.

I think he did alright today. Not sure what he was doing for their goal, and he lost a few one on one battles, but he was much better than any of the other centre backs have been this season.

Anyone that thinks he wasn't massively at fault for their goal needs to give their head a wobble to see if it'll dislodge the fact that they've made their mind up that he's ace and can do nothing wrong.

He was also badly done about ten minutes after their goal which could have put us two down.

Overall though, he did OK, and the experience will have done him a lot of good. He's fourth choice centre-half for various reason though, and the main reason is to do with physicality, he got bullied quite a lot today. But, he'll get better, whereas Jags and Williams will get worse, so, with Keane and Jags injured, this little spell he's going to get over the next few games, will do him a power of good and he'll learn a heck of a lot, so I'm happy for him to make mistakes while he's learning, but won't blow smoke up his arse just because he's young.

This will have been Holgate's first start as a centre back in a two for some time, probably since last season's U23s games. Playing at right back has helped him get used to the pace at PL level, the key bit for me is whether Koeman can bring him on further as a CB . The physicality side will get better as he ages, I just hope that we are working with him on his weaker areas and not just shunting him back to right back and trying to get him to be a better attacking full back, that's Kenny's role. Holgate and Kenny have played enough games together to make them worthy of a start on Thursday, get them working hard together so that the step up becomes easier .

He looked ok, but was at fault for their goal. With his size, he needs to have unbelievable positioning and I dont think he has that

Status
Not open for further replies.