Marco Silvas end of year review

What are your thoughts on Marco Silva?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Better than average. But not great.

We have been unlucky with some decisions earlier this season. But other than that the man is trying to build something.

Needs more time

It's still early days but I'm disappointed overall. Having thought we bought well in the summer, I expected a little more.

Silva himself says it's all about results and he is correct.

I wanted us to be good enough to firmly establish ourselves in 7th and use that as a platform to try to further cut the points gap between ourselves and the 5th and 6th place sides in his second season. And be generally competitive both home and away against the top six, win once on the road and maybe twice at GP.

We simply are not consistent enough in terms of results and performances, typified perfectly by the last two games. Yesterday was an ideal opportunity to push on and win the game, and we turned in a showing that was quite disgraceful. Where does that come from when we have players who are individually capable of much better? Successive away wins and hitting 30 points would have signified at least something.

Home form far too patchy, and the players still look as if they have no right to compete, let alone win, away. Yesterday just looked as if nobody could be bothered enough. That's unacceptable. I don't accept excuses about tiredness, we had an early cup exit and no European games.

That's the biggest issue for me - still no fight and heart in the team leading to lapses in concentration and an inability to get out of the blocks and start games on the right foot. They looked as if it didn't matter yesterday. So I must think Silva is struggling to motivate the players or conversely, isn't showing his temper often enough. But we are told it is a happy dressing room and club. I wonder what the Barcelona contingent make of Everton a few months on. Where are the leaders in the group?

We are firmly entrenched amongst the also-rans, a group of clubs like Wolves, Watford, West Ham, Bournemouth, Leicester, that we have historically turned up our noses at. We are no better than any of them collectively. All recently promoted sides give or take a few years, and yo-yo clubs. Even Brighton, who will be attuned to looking over their shoulders between now and May, are merely two points behind us. Not being condescending but I didn't recognise half of their team yesterday. I just didn't know the individuals. That didn't and doesn't make us better than them, obviously not, but I still think we had the better players out there yesterday. We didn't want it enough, it didn't matter enough and that's the theme of Everton these days.

I couldn't be bothered to hear Silva's comments yesterday but I'm sure they were full of the usual platitudes. Perhaps its asking for too much for an Everton manager just to say "Sorry, that simply wasn't good enough".

Better than average. But not great.

We have been unlucky with some decisions earlier this season. But other than that the man is trying to build something.

Needs more time

I think the problem is that nobody can see an identity, a way of playing. If you can see that you can easily see what is trying to be achieved and buy into it

Like many a school report, the ability is there but little Marco must try harder. We have too many players seemingly happy to do nothing out of the ordinary and just coast us to a comfy mid table finish, nothing to play for by March and on there hols by the time we eventually hit 40 points. No drive whatsoever but who's fault that is I don't know, it seems a massive collective issue with us. . . .

What the hell, let's blame Bill.

Playing much better football, made some really good signings.

Encouraging signs despite some bad results and an absurd amount of misfortune, even by our standards.

Just stick with it guys, anyone expecting top 4-6 was always gonna be in for a rude awakening, especially given the fact the squad had to have a complete overhaul and off the back of 3 failing managers.

We've got a whole half of a season to kick on and the FA Cup to look forward to.

Keep the faith and keep behind the players and the manager.

I think the problem is that nobody can see an identity, a way of playing. If you can see that you can easily see what is trying to be achieved and buy into it
I agree. There really hasn’t been a pattern of play established at all. We still look like 3 separate sections on the pitch. That leads to inconsistency. You’ve no idea whether we will start sluggish or on the front foot.

I can’t believe anyone is looking at us and thinking how do we stop X,Y and Z. I think they look at our right side and their eyes light up.

Some positive signs and do think we are heading in the right direction, but lots more to do still. C-, Silva on toast.

Some encouraging signs,some things not so good,the newer players are an improvement and seem to have a bit more spirit about them,unlike Koeman the replacements seem to be bought for a certain style of play rather than because they are available,his tactics and subs are very hit and miss,Spurs needed changing at half time same with the Brighton game,Im more than willing to give him more time,though I hope Brands completely dismantles the youth set up and starts getting players in there that will progress to 1st team squads rather than kèeping players until the age of 23/24 that just get offered contracts for the sake of it

Defence 4/10 - inconsistent. Took far to long to get used to zonal, still too many errors. Full backs need to learn if one goes the other stays (see spurs). Big plus point, turn around in Keane. Mina and Zouma yet to deliver but need time. Pickford overall really poor half year. Terrible decison making has cost us any chance of momentum.
Midfield 6/10 - Gomes and Gana are decent but nothing beyond them. Still give the ball away far too often.
Attacking midfield 6/10- along with Keane Silvas other biggest plus point is Iceland. Great end product and our best player for me. Richarlison will be a great player but probably not for us. Bernard needs time, genuinely thimk he will be like having Pienaar back next year. Walcott and Lookman very disappointing.
Strikers 1/10 - none existent

Overall 5/10 - improvement on style of play since last year but hasnt converted into points. He has to be given time. There's enough there in some of the performances and enough quality to see us improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.