Marco Silvas end of year review

What are your thoughts on Marco Silva?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good cup run and I'll reassess. But honestly, it's the nature of some of our defeats/draws against 'weaker' teams that worries me. Some of the performances have been awful. I can't help but think that if he was doing a better job they would at least try harder!

Good cup run and I'll reassess. But honestly, it's the nature of some of our defeats/draws against 'weaker' teams that worries me. Some of the performances have been awful. I can't help but think that if he was doing a better job they would at least try harder!

I still support what he is doing though. And would Marcel have come if he was that bad?

Not entirely convincing at the moment but one would hope these are the inevitable kinks in a long term project. On the whole, our new signings have settled well, to his credit.

There are obvious difficiences in the squad that couldn't be/weren't remedied in a single transfer window: the absence of an actual striker is becoming profound; central midfield lacks presence and agression; and the right side of the team is very weak. He will hopefully get to fix these issues over the next two windows, at which point he can be properly assessed.

I don't think the football has been particularly impressive to be honest, just a minor improvement. But there's absolutely no point in not giving him two full seasons (unless we see some sort of catastrophic regression) as we'd only be back to square one.

At the end of the day this season was always going to go this way, we'll plod along to 7th and strengthen in the summer once we get rid of the deadwood. We've improved as a squad so far but there's still glaring weaknesses in the squad that contribute to results like yesterday. Pickford needs proper competition, Coleman needs replacing and or proper competition for his place, we need a CF who can at least bag 15 goals and a handful of assists and we need a RW. Could argue the need for better quality CM too as MS, JM and TD aren't near the levels atm. Get those sorted and we look a different team. It's at least improvement from last summer where most thought we needed a whole new team. Not saying he's been perfect but Silva is only 1 point worse off than Klopp after 20 games, he's got us playing a better brand of football, the results will come. Bare in mind also we've had bad luck with results regarding refereeing decisions and the Derby goal. We could be at least 6 points better off all things considered. Changing managers so much since martinez hasn't done us any favours, so im willing to see how sticking with Silva will work out.

I’d disagree, a majority of the issues are due to poor tactics and poor ability to actively change a situation when his Plan A isn’t working. That’s my major concern

Yesterday being a perfect example.
Doesn't have a plan B Haven't managed two good performances on the bounce all season. Failed in the big games...meet the new boss same as the old boss.

He's been painfully bang average, our style of play has unquestionably improved under his management but ultimately with the exception of Burnley away we haven't played a single quality 90mins all season. Leicester was a fluke againt ten men and was decided by a class goal againt ten men. Our home form? I'm sorry but I'm not impressed by beating Crystal Palace, Brighton, Fulham, Cardiff and Southampton. We should be beating them and anyone who says otherwise obviously see us as relegation fodder and have no standards.

I'd give him 5/10 so far, he's not been the complete and utter disaster I expected yet and as bad as things have been I feared worse TBH. A lot will depend on how he treats the FA Cup for me. If he treats it with respect and we give it a real go and we have a proper run for once, he could win me over for this season at least.

Last edited:
Just bang average for me. Takes some doing to have a reset and spend lots more more on quality players and 20 games later be on the same points and in a lower position in the league than last season when we had nothing but absolute numpties in charge but that is where we are. Sure we can put some of it down to transitional period but there is plenty that is not down to transition and is just plain poor i.e lack of passion, effort and motivation, poor passing, poor finishing, poor and below par individually, poor managerial tactics, no consistency, incapable of learning from mistakes etc.

After last seasons nightmare, I didn't expect to be approaching becoming uninterested in Everton again 20 games down the road but that is where i am heading. Finding it hard to be even bothered about our next game because who knows what team is going turn up. More likely to be another half assed incompetent effort going off our form.

The only positives for me is that we no longer have to suffer Allardyce and we are playing a nicer brand of football but other than that i currently remain uninspired and unimpressed.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.