2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long term, sacking Silva now would be pointless.

Moshiri would look like he has no idea--his longest managerial appointment would be 18 months. He needs to stick to his guns and get Brands to deliver some quality at centre half and up top in January.

Who would want to work for a manager or club where you get 12-18 months before both the crowd and chairman get itchy feet?
Its pathetic.

The players like him, he's been v unlucky and is capable of getting his team to be brilliant.
His players need to stand up a bit more and be counted to overcome things when it gets a bit tough, as do our fanbase.
Largely agree but he also hasnt helped himself a lot of the time. Downright strange substitutions (Brighton for example), dreadful defensive record from set pieces and not adapting to whats in front of you. We are predictable as sin from a formation perspective, no matter who we play its 4231. Would agree that all clubs have a go to formation but ours seems set in stone.

I desperately want him to turn it around, really I do, but not going to get excited because we beat Southampton. To be fair to him he does have a good run of results against the bulk of the top 6 so theres time to make something of the season. Find it absolutely insane we are 3 points off 5th. We have had some dire luck this season with injuries and VARce but dont think there is any reasonable excuse for where we are in the league given the teams we have played.

Long term, sacking Silva now would be pointless.

Moshiri would look like he has no idea--his longest managerial appointment would be 18 months. He needs to stick to his guns and get Brands to deliver some quality at centre half and up top in January.

Who would want to work for a manager or club where you get 12-18 months before both the crowd and chairman get itchy feet?
Its pathetic.

The players like him, he's been v unlucky and is capable of getting his team to be brilliant.
His players need to stand up a bit more and be counted to overcome things when it gets a bit tough, as do our fanbase.

Great post

This could also go in the 'breaking news that nobody cares about' thread

I've had a mini damascus moment.
I looked at the league table, then I though what a shight season weve had.
We were robbed Vs Brighton, some how managed to lose at home to Sheff, Untd, even at Bournemouth ffs, blah, blah, blah etc.
Even if we managed by some miracle to spawn 2 wins out of 3 there, we still would be having a shight season

So I looked at the table again, put in 3pts for Brighton, then put in 3pts for Sheff U.

Go on do it and tell me what you see.

I've been shouting for him to go for ages, but I see now Silva's going nowhere just yet.
Do I think he's the solution? No.
There's a lot more games for him to 'kup yet before it will get to the taxi stage.

(And don't forget the lack of a proper candidate. Potential loss of face for Moshiri, the cost of paying him off. Finding MORE money for the new bloke, they always want to spend a bit)

Theres also a lot more games for him to pinch points here and there
There is now clear daylight between 17th and the bottom 3 and daylight between us and Villa.
I expect Palace to continue their downward trend.
Add to that the doable prospect of 3pts Vs Norwich...though I do expect our customary charity for Pukki to break his goal drought

Like I said somewhere else...

He hasn't got to walk on the water, just keep his head above it.

We were robbed Vs Brighton, some how managed to lose at home to Sheff, Untd, even at Bournemouth ffs, blah, blah, blah etc.
Even if we managed by some miracle to spawn 2 wins out of 3 there, we still would be having a shight season

So I looked at the table again, put in 3pts for Brighton, then put in 3pts for Sheff U.

I've been shouting for him to go for ages, but I see now Silva's going nowhere just yet.
There's a lot more games for him to 'kup yet before it will get to the taxi stage.

(And don't forget the lack of a proper candidate. Potential loss of face for Moshiri, the cost of paying him off. Finding MORE money for the new bloke, they always want to spend a bit)

There is now clear daylight between 17th and the bottom 3 and daylight between us and Villa.
Add to that the doable prospect of 3pts Vs Norwich...though I do expect our customary charity for Pukki to break his goal drought

What’s the point in keeping him if he’s not the answer? We going to buy some players in January only to sack him in the summer? We going give him time and watch him go on a pointless run of good form at the end of the season. Which will give us all hope and then we keep him for next season only for it to fall apart before November again? If we can get a manager in now that we want then we should. Gives him the rest of the season to get to know his squad and implement his style and etc and then a summer of recruiting who he wants so we can try and be ready for the start of next season. A new manager in the summer means another “ transition season” and the merry go round continues. There is no reason to persist with any manager that is not the right man for the job. We have won an away game and now people think everything isn’t as bad but we played crap on the weekend , we controlled the ball against one of the worst teams I have seen in years, they truely are terrible and we still couldn’t beat them with any comfort. The only thing positive and it’s jot that positive is the fact that after a year and a half and 23 goals conceded in 50 premiere league games ( remeber we shipped heaps in the cups too ) he has finally realised that zonal marking isn’t the answer. Took him 3 seasons spanning 3 clubs to realise or admit it but he did

What’s the point in keeping him if he’s not the answer? We going to buy some players in January only to sack him in the summer? We going give him time and watch him go on a pointless run of good form at the end of the season. Which will give us all hope and then we keep him for next season only for it to fall apart before November again? If we can get a manager in now that we want then we should. Gives him the rest of the season to get to know his squad and implement his style and etc and then a summer of recruiting who he wants so we can try and be ready for the start of next season. A new manager in the summer means another “ transition season” and the merry go round continues. There is no reason to persist with any manager that is not the right man for the job. We have won an away game and now people think everything isn’t as bad but we played crap on the weekend , we controlled the ball against one of the worst teams I have seen in years, they truely are terrible and we still couldn’t beat them with any comfort. The only thing positive and it’s jot that positive is the fact that after a year and a half and 23 goals conceded in 50 premiere league games ( remeber we shipped heaps in the cups too ) he has finally realised that zonal marking isn’t the answer. Took him 3 seasons spanning 3 clubs to realise or admit it but he did
Look again
I didn't say to keep him, I said he's not going anywhere this season - total meltdowns excluded
I stand by that for all the reasons I laid out.

No and it can't set a great example to prospective managers if we keep sacking them within 18 months. If we do that we might as well bite the bullet and get Benitez who will set a team up to work in moment 1.

I don't think we do enough to support our managers when they struggle. It's a trait I dislike about the board.

As for Silva, there are things he's good at and things he's not. He improves players and his plan A is very good. However his in game management and inflexibility let him down a little.

I rate Benitez but a run of 6 poor results would see the crowd turn on him quicker than Silva unfortunately.

It will if they replace with a half decent manager.

Even a Mancini/Benitez type mid tier manager would have us in much better shape that this fella.

Only Everton could hire a bloke relegated with Hull & sacked by Watford and task him with qualifying for Europe/breaking the top 6.

Benitez got relegated with Newcastle in similar times mate.
Mancini won't quit Italy to take a chance on Moshiri and our fanbase...

Its the likes of Wilder, Howe, who would climb over broken glass to be here that would take the role.

Silva is clearly very talented and deserves a fair crack of the whip. Moshiri really needs to stick to his guns, if anything to prove to managers he isn't trigger happy and bays to the blood of the fanbase.

Let's remember the facts..

Lost both his first choice CMs
Countless times individual errors let him down
VAR decisions
No CB cover

Yes we have had some poor results but sacking the manager, changing all backroom staff, bringing in new types of players blah blah isn't gonna automatically propel us upwards.

You know yesterday only four of the starting line up were players bought under Silva. All of whom were excellent.

So what you are saying is, pretend we won some games we lost and add the points on to see how high up the table we are?

Sure, why not? Add 3 points for every game, we will be top of the league. Let’s taunt kopites today saying we are top of the league..........in our own heads.

Apart from that bit, I agree he’s probably going nowhere. If we beat Norwich it could lead to a decent December as I’m not scared of either United or Arsenal.

But equally and what is the overriding problem, it is very feasible for this side to lose at home to Norwich and go on another stinking run, as that’s what he has done so far in his Everton career.

Add 9 more points to that... and we are laughing

Benitez got relegated with Newcastle in similar times mate.
Mancini won't quit Italy to take a chance on Moshiri and our fanbase...

Its the likes of Wilder, Howe, who would climb over broken glass to be here that would take the role.

Silva is clearly very talented and deserves a fair crack of the whip. Moshiri really needs to stick to his guns, if anything to prove to managers he isn't trigger happy and bays to the blood of the fanbase.

Let's remember the facts..

Lost both his first choice CMs
Countless times individual errors let him down
VAR decisions
No CB cover

Yes we have had some poor results but sacking the manager, changing all backroom staff, bringing in new types of players blah blah isn't gonna automatically propel us upwards.

You know yesterday only four of the starting line up were players bought under Silva. All of whom were excellent.
Luck hasn't gone Silva's way this season that is a fair assesment however we haven't played good Football at all this season apart from West Ham, Struggled against the likes of a very very poor Spurs/Watford and made a meal out of the Southampton game. He needs to be gone in the summer for me. His constant 70th minute subs do my head in too.

Status
Not open for further replies.