LOAN WATCH: Luke Garbutt

Status
Not open for further replies.

So cos he is older than them we cant compare them to him despite people saying he isn't a good defender
Who am I allowed to compare him too then?

Well he is not better defensively than those players now, and he is at his peak.

Defensively Baines is pretty poor compared to his attacking ability.

How must he feel right now on loan at Fulham and seeing Galloway come in and putting in some outstanding performances with also Baines and Oviedo to compete with too (unless oviedo leaves).

Current England left backs i think are Shaw, Gibbs and possibly Bertrand....for me, Baines and even Galloway are shoe ins for the national team left back positon compared to those.

However, how about Garbutt? I rate him highly as an attacking left back but will he come back to be backup to Baines / or compete with Baines next season?

Could he be our first choice left back in a couple of seasons?

Galloway will settle into a centreback role as he matures. I don't think Garbutt will feel any pressure from him.
I think he may look at the situation a little more optimistically , as follows.
Leighton Baines is starting to miss games through injury and Oviedo has not as yet come back to the pre injury form that impressed us all.
Next season there may be an opportunity to get more first team football at Everton, but first he has to make the Fulham loan work.

How must he feel right now on loan at Fulham and seeing Galloway come in and putting in some outstanding performances with also Baines and Oviedo to compete with too (unless oviedo leaves).

Current England left backs i think are Shaw, Gibbs and possibly Bertrand....for me, Baines and even Galloway are shoe ins for the national team left back positon compared to those.

However, how about Garbutt? I rate him highly as an attacking left back but will he come back to be backup to Baines / or compete with Baines next season?

Could he be our first choice left back in a couple of seasons?

He's only played 30 mins of competitive football for Fulham.

It's a shame but sending him on loan was the right decision. As soon as Baines is fully fit, he'll be right back in the team ahead of Galloway.

Most likely after coming back from his recent injury he will be fulhams first choice and likely in the PFA team of the year at left back.

However i wonder if he can take his game up another level and compete with Baines next season to such an extent that Baines isnt assured of his place. This for me is really a key position for our setup and it looks like our centre backs are sorted for a decade, we just need to make sure LB and RB positions are top notch now and in the future also.

He's only played 30 mins of competitive football for Fulham.

It's a shame but sending him on loan was the right decision. As soon as Baines is fully fit, he'll be right back in the team ahead of Galloway.

There's still a clear path to the first team for him if he can put in the performances. Galloway will be moved to the centre eventually and I can't see Oviedo ever making that position his own, especially with his problems with injury. That just leaves Baines, who he would be looking to replace eventually anyway.

I'm sure he's pissed off that he's ended up out on loan when a position in the first team has opened up, even temporarily, but IMO it hasn't affected Garbutt's chances much.

Never read this thread before but I hate that rubbish about Baines being a poor defender. It usually comes from neutrals just because he's so good going forward he must be terrible defensively. He's the best full back in the league for me, the only one better than him defensively is Azpi and there isn't a better one going forward, he was the best left back in the world for a number of years in my opinion. If Garbutt gets anywhere near to Baines' level then we'll have another fantastic left back.

Status
Not open for further replies.