Leadership (consoling Son) Poll

What should Coleman have done?

• Make every effort to console Son

• Focused on his own teammate and club

• Stay quiet

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest @Zatara I was cool with Seamus going in and “consoling” Son because it seemed....indeed was....an honourable enough thing to do and exactly how a very honourable fellow like Seamus would react.

However, in light of the “appeal” which exonerated Son I am now not so cool with it.

Whilst accepting that Son did not mean to break Andre, he did make a snide challenge with no chance of playing the ball so either Son or Spurs or indeed both showed a distinct lack of sensitivity in appealing the red card IMO.

In legalese, the serious consequences of Son’s lunge were “reasonably foreseeable” in those circumstances and a three match ban would be getting off light IMO.

It wasn’t even like it was a proper “tackle” which went wrong as such......he was acting the snide and seeking “revenge”.

So, no.....I do not think our skipper should be in there consoling Son when Andre’s career might have ended as a result of his actions.

To be honest @Zatara I was cool with Seamus going in and “consoling” Son because it seemed....indeed was....an honourable enough thing to do and exactly how a very honourable fellow like Seamus would react.

However, in light of the “appeal” which exonerated Son I am now not so cool with it.

Whilst accepting that Son did not mean to break Andre, he did make a snide challenge with no chance of playing the ball so either Son or Spurs or indeed both showed a distinct lack of sensitivity in appealing the red card IMO.

In legalese, the serious consequences of Son’s lunge were “reasonably foreseeable” in those circumstances and a three match ban would be getting off light IMO.

It wasn’t even like it was a proper “tackle” which went wrong as such......he was acting the snide and seeking “revenge”.

So, no.....I do not think our skipper should be in there consoling Son when Andre’s career might have ended as a result of his actions.

Ive been thinking of 2 (long stories) incidents when playing sports in my youth...

When a foul occured the captain who was 'behaving in a gentlemanly fashion' lost half the team (including me) as he attempted to calm the situation down and to and talk to the aggressor...all while the team was fired up.

On another occasion in the same team when this happened again a new player in the team took it upon himself to come over and check if the injured player was ok...then went to the opposition player (while the captain was chatting to him) and was yelling all sorts and calling the ref over.

The team got behind the new player and we went on to win the match...he became the new captain.

Just from my own experience, if i was in the same situation as Gomes and heard what Coleman did id have a serious word with him and ask him what hes doing. It was Sons fault and clearly pre-meditated and yet the club captain is going off to console the aggressor while im in hospital?!?!?

Everyone has their own opinion on this but those saying "well coleman has had a serious injury too"...so what, its all about him now? He should take it upon himself to console a player who has seriously injured his teammate?!?!

Seriously cant see how other players (including gomes hinself) can support this action...

Digne showed the proper leadership in my view.

This is my opinion exactly but couldn't have put it into words as well as you have.

It seems as though Coleman's act of humanity has been twisted to aid Spurs and Son's appeal. The actions of that club (aided by the media) this past week has really soured my opinion of them.

Not a sensible person in the world believes that Son was trying to cause such a bad injury to Gomes, but he was certainly aiming to 'leave one on him' in an act of spite/revenge.

It's absolutely ridiculous that the red card was rescinded, surely the FA can see what everyone else does. It makes me sick to be honest.

I don’t even think Digne is a natural leader either. I genuinely think we need to go out and buy one. There’s not one person in the squad that is vocal, gets in the refs ear and holds players accountable. Phil Neville (despite lacking other qualities...) I believe was the last real example of someone who had that voice.

We really are meek when it comes to certain situations. Giving Davies the armband isn’t the answer. Neither is sigs. I think we need to identify a Vincent kompany style character and go get him.
All down to Kenwrights accommodating influence around this club that we are so meek, all to make himself look good and loved by others, this 'we are nicer than you" football club is going down with this pathetic cowardly attitude.

Look at the league position, it is a reflection of the character of the club, utterly spineless and i know a lot of Evertonians who have already given up on the club.

This season has been dire and with turgid football.
Andre represented one of our very few glimmers of hope and quality.
I think this aftermath is because we all know as Everton fans his absence is a massive loss.
There are ten of thousands of tackles like that every season at every level of football and nothing sickening happens.

I offer it out there, if it had been Shnides I think the outcry from Evertonians would be ......different.

In those moments and minutes of the accident, Andre would have other things on his mind other than wondering if his team mates were berating or consoling Son. Once he was off the pitch he was straight to hospital, so those 12 minutes on the pitch the players will have been upset and tried to console each other. They do not train to deal with this situation. How anybody should act or not act is completely subjective.

Mark my words, in time there will be a photoshoot of Andre and Son shaking hands.
Nothing we can do except wish him a speedy and successful recovery.
Don't get angry lads!

The commentstor on MOTD just now, after Son scored for Spurs......”he was cheered by the news that the injury to Andre Gomes wasn’t as bad as first feared....and maybe the relief of that has allowed him to score today....”.....

A Martian listening in would think Son was the real real victim last Sunday.

:oops: :rolleyes:

I said it in the Gomes thread today, I put NBCSN on for the match, it was Spurs and they were talking about Son so I listened for a bit, according to the fella there the red card was rightly rescinded, OK I thought, I see that argument, but then he went on that there was two injuries that day, one was obviously the physical one to Gomes but the other was psychologically injured by what happened and we wish both of them a quick recovery

WHAT A 'KIN WORLD WE LIVE IN

The commentstor on MOTD just now, after Son scored for Spurs......”he was cheered by the news that the injury to Andre Gomes wasn’t as bad as first feared....and maybe the relief of that has allowed him to score today....”.....

A Martian listening in would think Son was the real real victim last Sunday.

:oops: :rolleyes:
Are you raiding the chrimbo sherry stash early Khale?

Status
Not open for further replies.