Leadership (consoling Son) Poll

What should Coleman have done?

• Make every effort to console Son

• Focused on his own teammate and club

• Stay quiet

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is Neil Taylor wasnt ashamed or simply didnt care what he did to Coleman.

Say what you like about Son, but he had genuine concern.

Still think its a joke that Coleman is getting called all sorts for simply being a compassionate and civilised human being. I weep for the human race and it comes as no surprise when we have people like Boris Johnson and Donald Trump in positions of power.

Is that really true Goat?

While I don't believe everything I read that seems like a fair account. I doubt Taylor was happy that he got sent off and that Coleman had a broken leg, no professional would be unless there was real feeling of hatred.

I read this interview from Coleman and this seems to back up that he wouldn't have minded someone consoling Taylor:

Which is fair enough then. I think Taylor just got the hell away because 1) he got the red card immediately and 2) probably knew staying around he would get abused unlike Son who stayed around.

Can't argue about the Trump and Johnson issue. In reality all I would have liked is for Son to take his 3 game ban with good grace.

While I don't believe everything I read that seems like a fair account. I doubt Taylor was happy that he got sent off and that Coleman had a broken leg, no professional would be unless there was real feeling of hatred.

I read this interview from Coleman and this seems to back up that he wouldn't have minded someone consoling Taylor:

Which is fair enough then. I think Taylor just got the hell away because 1) he got the red card immediately and 2) probably knew staying around he would get abused unlike Son who stayed around.

Can't argue about the Trump and Johnson issue. In reality all I would have liked is for Son to take his 3 game ban with good grace.

Well its pretty clear my view of the whole thing is very different to everybody else, Son fouled him yes, but it was a nothing foul, I watched a few games yesterday and I saw the same foul 15 to 20 times. It was just a freak injury sadly.

Well its pretty clear my view of the whole thing is very different to everybody else, Son fouled him yes, but it was a nothing foul, I watched a few games yesterday and I saw the same foul 15 to 20 times. It was just a freak injury sadly.
100% agree. Accidents happen unfortunately. You'll see a lot of much worse tackles in any game of football you watch. Understand that people are upset but the reaction some of the reactions feel way off the mark to me.

Son really is doing all he can to show he's such a nice, pure young man who could never hurt a fly. :coffee:

Taylor’s was, as described, a “horror tackle”, and a deserved red, Son’s was nothing remotely like it.

Missing 3 games imo was not the issue for Son, it was having a red card offence against your name for breaking someone’s leg. The end result (leg break) in every incident doesn’t equate to red card. Each circumstance is different. To use an analogy, when Maradona scored a goal with his hand, he cheated, but another player scoring when the ball richoted off their hand, they can’t also be labelled a cheat.

Taylor’s was, as described, a “horror tackle”, and a deserved red, Son’s was nothing remotely like it.

Missing 3 games imo was not the issue for Son, it was having a red card offence against your name for breaking someone’s leg. The end result (leg break) in every incident doesn’t equate to red card. Each circumstance is different. To use an analogy, when Maradona scored a goal with his hand, he cheated, but another player scoring when the ball richoted off their hand, they can’t also be labelled a cheat.

The Taylor incident, rightly described as a horror tackle due to the speed of the contact, was at least him competing for the ball and mistiming it. You'll never completely eliminate challenges and the consequences of these tackles as if your manager asks you to play with some aggression/first to the ball etc. this can be the result with one error of judgement when two people competing like crazy for the ball.

Son gets clattered in the face and then actively hunts after Gomes, chopping him down at full pelt when the ball was in another postcode. Tackles from behind were supposed to be outlawed, it doesn't matter if the injury was of a freak nature thereafter. If you trip someone going at 17-20 mph you are always risking injury, he was not trying to play the ball so it should be red and hopefully that will stop it from happening again. As it stands players will think this is reasonable behaviour backed up by the authorities.

They could have chosen to send a strong signal to players this is a big no no going forward and you would have removed some of the risk involved on a football pitch and at the same time make the game more exciting by ensuring that swipes from behind to stop an attack will lead to a red regardless if you are the last man or not.

People have their own viewpoints on the matter and I wouldn't seek to change anyone's opinion. That is just my thoughts on this and I see it as a missed opportunity to help the game.

Ive not really said anything about it until today.

My first reaction when Coleman was off consoling Son was utter bewilderment. Pick a top player in the league who has been considered a winning captain throughout a period of success...Terry, Keane, Gerrard, Vieira etc.

Could anyone imagine one of those players going into the opposition changing room and consoling a player who had reacted to something then chased a teammate and hacked him down from behind causing serious injury? Weve seen on camera how Keane stood up for teammates...our own Duncan Ferguson, Tim Cahill or others would never have done this imo

My next reaction was that if I was in Gomes situation and i had been injured in such a way, would i want my captain to be off consoling the opposition player...or to be going ballistic and getting in the fourth officials face + going in front of the cameras after the game and calling out the opposition team and being vocal in his support of me and the total injustice. Even using my injury to call out the VAR penalty and biased decisions against the club.

For me, and this is a personal view which i appreciate others may disagree with, I think this attitude of Colemans is nothing short of a disgrace and a total dereliction of duty to a teammate and to be honest a quite pitiful example of captaincy.

I understand hes also had a bad injury, i consider that to be totally irrelevant in this situation. Hes downplayed the whole incident by his behaviour and the narrative has become all about Son.

There is no leadership in this team and without a leader with a winning mentality the team is like a house of cards.

Brands doesnt only need to sign a new spine of a team for Silva, he needs to sign a backbone!

I’m glad your not my father. Throwing your Son under the bus like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.