2018/19 Kieran Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told twice I didn't think he had a bad game on the forty minutes I watched the game, he never took over the game, did a lot of pointing to players to tell them what to do with the ball instead of running into space and receiving the ball off them, he did twice as much ambling about as he did with any purposeful aim of taking over the game and controlling it, which as the playmaker he was supposed to do, you obviously think he did this, at least to your satisfaction, I think he played within himself.
We saw completely different games. Think it's best to leave it there.

I know you've not come back on my reply to your post yesterday.

I still think you're being hard on Dowell based on Tuesday's U21 game. I'm not sure if you watched the whole game, focusing purely on Kieran's performance, as I did. But he clearly was given a remit by the manager for that game and he was incredibly disciplined in sticking to it. His work without the ball was very good as regards covering for full backs, closing down space in the midfield and making himself available, especially when the ball went out to the wide areas. In possession, on the whole he kept it simple but moved the ball on very quickly and accurately, playing it forward when he could. He was central to England keeping possession and his role reminded me of William Carvalho for Portugal. His set play contribution was pretty good to, better than what we normally see on a Saturday afternoon, and he created 6 goal scoring opportunities for his team mates, albeit 4 from set pieces. That does not include the foul that resulted in England's first goal.

I did not particularly enjoy watching him in that role as it didn't make best use of his qualities, but to criticise him for not affecting England's attacking play enough is just wrong when that was clearly not his remit on the day. But I'm pretty sure the manager will treat his goal, assist and 6 created chances as a very welcome bonus.
Personally I’d like to see him given a chance playing a little deeper alongside Gueye. We are crying out for a midfielder who can pass the ball and I don’t see anyone else in the squad who can do this. Thirty minutes or so off the bench for a good few games in this role and see how this goes.

Personally I’d like to see him given a chance playing a little deeper alongside Gueye. We are crying out for a midfielder who can pass the ball and I don’t see anyone else in the squad who can do this. Thirty minutes or so off the bench for a good few games in this role and see how this goes.
Yeah. Dont see how replacing Davies for the odd cameo can do us too much harm.

He’s a boy and we need men.

Needs to beef up, grow some chest hair and start sleeping outside in the bush a couple of times a week.

...Gomes can pass the ball.
Hope so Eggs. I'm hoping he's the missing link in our midfield. But he hasn't kicked a ball for us yet and; let's be honest, he wouldn't be the first talented overseas player whose game isn't suited to the premier league.

As regards Kieran, irrespective of how Gomes turns out, he's still a very talented kid who needs developing. Either we do that or we sell him on to somebody else to do it, which may well happen in the end. But I'd like Silva to have a go first because if he can find a way of getting him more involved in games we have a special talent.

Hope so Eggs. I'm hoping he's the missing link in our midfield. But he hasn't kicked a ball for us yet and; let's be honest, he wouldn't be the first talented overseas player whose game isn't suited to the premier league.

As regards Kieran, irrespective of how Gomes turns out, he's still a very talented kid who needs developing. Either we do that or we sell him on to somebody else to do it, which may well happen in the end. But I'd like Silva to have a go first because if he can find a way of getting him more involved in games we have a special talent.

...I agree Fred, i’m a big fan of Dowell and I think he’ll get opportunities this season. It’s up to him to seize them.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.