Keeping hold of Fellaini

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel your overrating him just a tad. Fellaini, aside from being out injured for long periods of time, has an average (at best) goals and assists record. He got a decent return in 2008/09 with 8 goals and 3 assists. But since then he's contributed little in those respects.

Milner, last season he was the 3rd most creative midfielder in the league behind Fabregas and Lampard. He'd also scored more than three times as many goals as Fellaini. Don't let his poor season fool you, he's been injured alot but Fellaini isn't a patch on an in-form Milner.

Even Aquilani created twice what Fellaini did last season and only scored one less, and by all accounts he was injured for the biggest part of it. Ramires has been outstanding for Chelsea this season, as for Carrick and Barry, they are entirely different players, designed to keep the game ticking over, and are decent without being spectacular at the jobs they do.

Given Fellaini's billing as an all-round midfielder he lacks in far too many departments for me to be branded one of the very best in his position. Till he overcomes his injuries, become free-scoring or exceptionally creative, he'll never be classed as one of the best and teams won't be falling over themselves to get to him. Now i realise there is more to his game than that, he's good in the air, strong and good at breaking up play, but he's far from an all-rounder, his passing isn't fantastic either.

He's a good player, nothing more. I'd tend to agree with what you said about his contract though, might be his agent angling for a rise.

Well each to their own but i don't think he's good enough to break up Fletcher/Scholes, Fabregas/Song, Toure/De Jong, Modric/Palacios, Lampard/Essien or Lucas/Meireles.

He's a good player, capable of playing at a higher level than we can offer him, but he's not world class.

W...ww...what!?

Not good enough to usurp Fletcher, Song, De Jong, Palacios or fecking Lucas!? LUCAS!?

Dear lord.

Felliani is the best player we have got,the best in his possition the best at what he does in the prem,we should take no less than £25million!Gareth Barry went for how much?

I feel your overrating him just a tad. Fellaini, aside from being out injured for long periods of time, has an average (at best) goals and assists record. He got a decent return in 2008/09 with 8 goals and 3 assists. But since then he's contributed little in those respects.

Milner, last season he was the 3rd most creative midfielder in the league behind Fabregas and Lampard. He'd also scored more than three times as many goals as Fellaini. Don't let his poor season fool you, he's been injured alot but Fellaini isn't a patch on an in-form Milner.

Even Aquilani created twice what Fellaini did last season and only scored one less, and by all accounts he was injured for the biggest part of it. Ramires has been outstanding for Chelsea this season, as for Carrick and Barry, they are entirely different players, designed to keep the game ticking over, and are decent without being spectacular at the jobs they do.

Given Fellaini's billing as an all-round midfielder he lacks in far too many departments for me to be branded one of the very best in his position. Till he overcomes his injuries, become free-scoring or exceptionally creative, he'll never be classed as one of the best and teams won't be falling over themselves to get to him. Now i realise there is more to his game than that, he's good in the air, strong and good at breaking up play, but he's far from an all-rounder, his passing isn't fantastic either.

He's a good player, nothing more. I'd tend to agree with what you said about his contract though, might be his agent angling for a rise.

I'd say most of those players are totally different though. Fellaini is a ball winning midfielder. An enforcer or destroyer if you will! Barry and Carrick are not that.

Fellaini is no on form James Milner, is like saying Lionel Messi is no in form Alan Shearer....I rate Milner, can't think of 2 things he's done at City mind, but he's different

wasn't he spotted in the presidents box ? I'm sure it was him.

Wasn't this with Zidane? Felligate...

media_xl_3653271.jpg

United, Arsenal and Liverpool fans wouldn't swap Fletcher, Song or Lucas for Fellaini, i guarentee it. Especially not at a cost of £20m+ he's not worth it, he doesn't do enough.

Barry was bought for £12m, not £18m. Alot of those figures you suggested are skewed. And he was bought at a time when England couldn't function without him, he's actually done quite well at City, he's good at what he does, but he has his limitations as a player. De Jong and Palacios are players with specific jobs, they have great engines and are ball winners and do those jobs well, but again they have their limitations.

Where as Fellaini is billed as a box-to-box, creative, goalscoring, all round midfield general and he's just not. He's solid defensively, strong on the ball and good in the air without being brilliant at it, and he uses his height and strength to good advantage going forward, a good player but he's neither one thing or the other, and a way off Madrid/Chelsea quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
United, Arsenal and Liverpool fans wouldn't swap Fletcher, Song or Lucas for Fellaini, i guarentee it. Especially not at a cost of £20m+ he's not worth it, he doesn't do enough.

Barry was bought for £12m, not £18m. Alot of those figures you suggested are skewed. And he was bought at a time when England couldn't function without him, he's actually done quite well at City, he's good at what he does, but he has his limitations as a player. Where as Fellaini is billed as a box-to-box, creative, goalscoring, all round midfield general and he's just not. He's a good player, one of our best, but as far as big money moves to Madrid, he's a long way off that sort of quality.

Then you either think said fans are morons, or you yourself really know nothing of Fellaini.

Fellaini is the ultimate defensive mid; he wins everything and distributes it excellently. And he's young.

Song is poor defensively, Lucas has no distribution and is painfully average, Fletcher scores a couple of good goals a year, and is good in the tackle, but is really quite average besides that. Barry is decent, but not really good at anything. He's been utterly rubbish for England and City since leaving Villa.

Barry was bought for £12m, not £18m. Alot of those figures you suggested are skewed. And he was bought at a time when England couldn't function without him, he's actually done quite well at City, he's good at what he does, but he has his limitations as a player. De Jong and Palacios are players with specific jobs, they have great engines and are ball winners and do those jobs well, but again they have their limitations.

Where as Fellaini is billed as a box-to-box, creative, goalscoring, all round midfield general and he's just not. He's solid defensively, strong on the ball and good in the air without being brilliant at it, and he uses his height and strength to good advantage going forward, a good player but he's neither one thing or the other, and a way off Madrid/Chelsea quality.

Interesting you've mentioned that again about him being billed as a "box-to-box, creative, goalscoring, all round midfield general" as the sky link that I put in said things about his creativity. I think anyone who has watched Fellaini would agree this isn't what he's about? Why is he being "billed" as that?

It's all about opinions anyway....Real may not even be in for him, but I guess the reason they are being "linked" with him over Lucas, Song or Fletcher is because he has more to offer. Surely?

Yeah, Fellaini isn't a creative influence, per se.

His game is all about breaking up the opposition's play, and then giving it to our creative outlets to counter.

He does that better than anyone I've ever seen. His tackle success and distribution stats back that up (IIRC from EB's matchday write ups).

He does get forward though. I'd say he's also a bit of a box to box midfielder, in that sense. But anyone who praises his attacking qualities more than his defensive ones is talking out of their arse. They've probably just remember him playing AM in his first season, in which he scored a few.

Thats not at Madrid, i'm fairly sure thats the Europa League logo there, so it can't be at the Bernabeu.

Ha, yea I don't think it is either, I'm pretty sure this photo was analysed to the max in here, when it came out.

I think it was a game he watched with Zidane as I said, sparked off some rumours. I think it was actually watching Standard Liege from memory

Well its all opinion, but i suspect your making him out to be better than he is. He's a good player, and i like him, and he could make the step up one day, but to suggest he'd waltz into any team in the land is beyond insanity. I'd love a poll to be conducted to find out the results, but i'd guarentee United, Arsenal and Liverpool wouldn't swap said players for him, certainly wouldn't be interested in paying £20m+ for him !.

Well, Alio, the term "all round midfielder" has been mentioned in the same breath as Fellaini on here several times, i was merely refuting that, because his game is lacking far too much to be an all-rounder. He's a good holding midfielder, and i'd agree thats his game, ala breaking play up and playing it off simple, but in all honesty those players are ten a penny nowadays, its an unspectacular job, but there are area's of his game that need to be improved before he'll be sought after by the top teams.

And i'd say the reason he's being "linked" with Madrid is because papers need to be filled with rumours every day, and its simply his turn. Its also a rumour being perpetuated by our fans who, when in the presence of a player deemed good enough to play for Madrid by those wise and knowledgeable editors, see theres an element of bragging rights to have a player who is "World Class" and attracting all the attention. When in reality, its just not the case.

As mentioned before, it all seems like posturing to me in the contract negotiations, and he'll more than likely be here next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well its all opinion, but i suspect your making him out to be better than he is. He's a good player, and i like him, and he could make the step up one day, but to suggest he'd waltz into any team in the land is beyond insanity. I'd love a poll to be conducted to find out the results, but i'd guarentee United, Arsenal and Liverpool wouldn't swap for him, certainly wouldn't be interested in paying £20m+ for him !.

Well, Alio, the term "all round midfielder" has been mentioned in the same breath as Fellaini on here several times, i was merely refuting that, because his game is lacking far too much to be an all-rounder. And i'd say the reason he's being "linked" with Madrid is because papers need to be filled with rumours every day, and its simply his turn. Its also a rumour being perpetuated by our fans who, when in the presence of a player deemed good enough to play for Madrid by those wise and knowledgeable editors, see theres an element of bragging rights to have a player who is "World Class" and attracting all the attention. When in reality i doubt thats the case.

As mentioned before, it all seems like posturing to me in the contract negotiations, and he'll more than likely be here next year.

Well thats it, it will all boil to wanting more benjamins

I just think the reason Madrid would want him, would be because they're at times, rubbish in defence. Fellaini would help their defence no end, without even playing in it. They've fooled themselves for years buying flair type midfielders and hoping they'd do the dirty work, where its amazingly obvious how much they've been lacking someone like Fellaini

Madrid wouldn't need him for the goals...the other 12 midfielders are there for that =)

Well it wouldn't surprise me to see Madrid go for someone like M'Vila or Sissoko, with Zidane's connections in Ligue 1 he'll know about those two, they are 3 years Fellaini's junior, just as strong, twice as fast and would cost half as much. Lassana Diarra has done a terrific job doing the dirty work for Madrid, i wouldn't say they are lacking in that area at all. And Khedira is a hell of a fourth choice centre mid to have.

I'm not saying he'd walk into every team right now. But factoring in his age, and his influence in the toughest league in the world, well... he'd walk in to many right now.

And you're mental if you think Lucas is even comparable to Fellaini. Just mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.