Keeping hold of Fellaini

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's certainly one of the best in his position in the league, very good player is Baines.

But Fellaini isn't as good as you are making out, if they are willing to pay £20m as the article says, i'd take it. As i said in the Rodwell thread, anyone who has a few decent games nowadays gets linked with Madrid and Chelsea. Fellaini is a good player, but he's not good enough to be a starter at any top 6 team in the Prem, or at Madrid to be honest. Khedira has been inconsistant there, but Diarra and Gago are very very good at what they do alongside Alonso, plus they have Canales, Granero and Ozil. I don't think theres anything in this particular rumour.

Liverpool are in the top six and he would walk in to that team or would you prefer lucas

I think Fellaini would almost walk into all current top 6 sides, given time

He'd possibly struggle to get in at Chelsea, but that's about it

Liverpool are in the top six and he would walk in to that team or would you prefer lucas

If its true Real are in for him it would be very very hard to stand in the lads way. As much as we think we are a massive club we just arent in the same strateshere as Real, he is good enough to play at that level, he is by far one of the top midfeilders in this league - i cant think of another who does what he does as well.

He is prob my favourate player but i would be gutted if he did go, but he is world class at what he does and will improve signifcantly. I always felt he would prove to be one of the best midfeilders in Europe.

That said we have to be aware of what we have, personaly i think he is worth 35 - 40 mill pounds - not that i think Real would pay anythink like that - there in lies the sticking point, they will want him on the cheap and he would be mad not to want to go, maybe 20 mill and a player or two would soften the blow.

If its true Real are in for him it would be very very hard to stand in the lads way. As much as we think we are a massive club we just arent in the same strateshere as Real, he is good enough to play at that level, he is by far one of the top midfeilders in this league - i cant think of another who does what he does as well.

He is prob my favourate player but i would be gutted if he did go, but he is world class at what he does and will improve signifcantly. I always felt he would prove to be one of the best midfeilders in Europe.

That said we have to be aware of what we have, personaly i think he is worth 35 - 40 mill pounds - not that i think Real would pay anythink like that - there in lies the sticking point, they will want him on the cheap and he would be mad not to want to go, maybe 20 mill and a player or two would soften the blow.

i agree 100% with ya. I would be devastated if he left and if it was him or rodwell to choose from to be sold rodwell would get sold everytime. I was replying to the earlier poster who said he would not get in to any of the top 6 current team. I think he would get in to all of them however to include liverpool and saying he would not get in above lucas is a insult in my opinion

I think Fellaini would almost walk into all current top 6 sides, given time

He'd possibly struggle to get in at Chelsea, but that's about it
I agree. He's better than players like Barry, Carrick, Fletcher, Song, Lucas and Palacios who all get plenty of starts in top 6 sides. All of those players are at least decent but Fellaini is better.

Well each to their own but i don't think he's good enough to break up Fletcher/Scholes, Fabregas/Song, Toure/De Jong, Modric/Palacios, Lampard/Essien or Lucas/Meireles.

He's a good player, capable of playing at a higher level than we can offer him, but he's not world class.

Well each to their own but i don't think he's good enough to break up Fletcher/Scholes, Fabregas/Song, Toure/De Jong, Modric/Palacios, Lampard/Essien or Lucas/Meireles.

He's a good player, capable of playing at a higher level than we can offer him, but he's not world class.

Well, that's the thing, it's all opinion. He may not be World Class just yet, but those names above you've mentioned, I would only say 2 or 3 were World Class

"Potentially" if he can remain injury free, the world is his. He could play in most teams in any league I think.

No i wouldn't go as far as world class, i wasn't suggesting all of the above were World class. But to pay £20m or more for any player you have to be extremely good, or have immense potential, i don't believe Fellaini falls into either category thats all, as you said its all opinion.

Fletcher, Song and Lucas in particular were once lamented by their clubs fans, but each has gone on to be player of the season for their respective teams. Fletcher has gone on to captain Scotland and Lucas is now an immediate starter for Brazil, no mean feat. I don't think Fellaini would be able to displace any of them, with all due respect, though he's still young, he's a good player and providing he improves his injury record and knuckles down he'll only get better.

No i wouldn't go as far as world class, i wasn't suggesting all of the above were World class. But to pay £20m or more for any player you have to be extremely good, or have immense potential, i don't believe Fellaini falls into either category thats all, as you said its all opinion.

Fletcher, Song and Lucas in particular were once lamented by their clubs fans, but each has gone on to be player of the season for their respective teams. Fletcher has gone on to captain Scotland and Lucas is now an immediate starter for Brazil, no mean feat. I don't think Fellaini would be able to displace any of them, with all due respect, though he's still young, he's a good player and providing he improves his injury record and knuckles down he'll only get better.

Personaly with the exception of Fabregas i think hes the best all round midfeilder in the league - i havent seen a similar midfeilder to him, since the days of Keane and Viera - he can do everything.

he would walk into the Utd, City, Chelsea, Sh"2te, Arsenal team IMHO. Fletcher, Ramires, Lucas, Barry etc couldnt touch him to be honest . I can think of games against them were he made them all look very ordinary and has proved it as well.

Last edited:

He's a great player and it's hard to keep hold or them. Baines it seems likes to stay close to home, so it might be easier to keep him, but Fellaini has nothing to keep him here. Why would he want to play for a club fighting to get into the UEFA Cup, when he's good enough for many of the best club sides in the world. If a big bid comes in for him, which it likely will, then given his contract situation, he'll be off. Both he and Baines can play for almost anyone and deserve the chance to fight for titles.

Well each to their own, but i don't think we'll have clubs knocking our door down to pay £20m+ for the guy.

Well each to their own, but i don't think we'll have clubs knocking our door down to pay £20m+ for the guy.

James Milner - 30 mill.
Gareth Barry - 18 mill.
Aqulaini - 20 mill
Carrick 20 mill
Ramires 20 mill.

Twice the player of any of them: 30 + would be fair, given his age etc and i would stick a few sell on cluses in there as well.

Im suspicious about this link though, there was one about Chelsea a few days back as well - smacks a bit of leverage in the contract negotiations that have been started.

Baines won't go anywhere, he seems really loyal to me, and even if Real or who ever came in for him and would give him 90k a week, i still think he'll stay here. But we do need to bring in new players or our current squad will get fed up coz we're not going anywhere and think F@#* it.
As for Fellaini i think he'll go, and tbh i'm not that fussed if he does cos for £21m we could get a couple of good players for that and once he's gone he'll only wish he stayed, plus his Dad will be moaning at Real saying..."Why don't you play him" lol. If i was a player i'd never go and play for Real Madrid, Chelski, Barca or spurs coz they already have like 60 players and would be a bench warmer, i seriously don't know why players "who love the game" would want to go play there, coz you won't.

It's going to be real hard to keep Fellaini. He's saying all the right things but I can't see any particular loyalty to Everton. His dad is obviously pushing for big clubs and big money. If we kept him, we'd have to at least double his salary and maybe more. Rodwell is the cheaper alternative for Everton and giving him more time should help increase his value in the future (I'm sure the club will have to sell him at some point).

Unless we get some kind of extra revenue or a big financial contributor, I still think we'll have to sell someone and Fellaini makes the most sense. Doesn't mean we have to like it.

I can't see Baines going anywhere and Arteta has lost a lot of value this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.