Homepage Update: Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly this is where we will see the benefits of loedgwijks, Pickford has all the raw abilities and if we can coach him on to the next level, he could become as good as or better than butland.

Martyn was also on the smaller side but was always in the right positions in his time with us, if Pickford can add that to his athleticism then he's good to go.

Had we had a better goalkeeper last season, we'd arguably had finished in the top five.

So, I reckon it's worth whatever it takes to get the manager's top target in.

That target happens to be a very good 23-year-old who could easily have 10 or more years at the very top.

Worth the risk for a club like us, currently, I think.

People are always asking for 'statements'. This is as much of a statement signing that we could hope for at this time imo.
Robles stats were good Steks were very poor?
Can anyone get the thread page up when we played Sunderland at home - I recall Pickford got slated on here ?
At least he's a young prospect still need Robles to stay for cover, and push him hard to compete for his place imo!

Pickford will be a great signing that'll immediately strengthen our defence as well as hopefully proving a smart long term financial investment.
We'll overpay, like with Bolasie, but Bolasie was a 27yo winger who relied on pace. His value was destined to plummet.
Pickford's will go in the opposite direction if he's a success.

I'm going to start by saying I've watched very little of Sunderland last season, for obvious reasons. But I saw Pickford against Everton last season and he played well and I've seen him a few times play for Preston where his distribution was excellent. he is obviously a very good goalkeeper. One area that will be telling is how he manages when he has little to do, top goalkeepers can be relied on regardless of how little they have to do, and I would expect Pickford to be less busy with an improved defence. Other than that I think it will be a terrific signing.
If you watch Pickfords highlight video from last season you see a large portion of it is the Everton matches...Made about 7-8 big saves in them.

I have a theory that the more shots a team allows, the better quality those shots are. As teams play an easier defence they are more particular about closer better shots because they can be. Against a good defence, after 15 minutes they realize they need to take shots from outside. Its a theory anyway. If true would mean its even more impressive his save percentage.

I think it's almost impossible to tell anything from keeper stats. The sample sizes are too low, and the number of instances where a good keeper would make a difference is even lower (some saves are simple; some shots are unstoppable). Also, so much of keeping is control of the box and distribution, and the stats don't pick up on either of those things well.

Can anyone get the thread page up when we played Sunderland at home - I recall Pickford got slated on here ?
At least he's a young prospect still need Robles to stay for cover, and push him hard to compete for his place imo!

Pickford was awful ay Goodison, I still expect him to make the odd clanger like all keepers do, some fans are a bit deluded where goal keepers come, they expect them to never make mistakes

Last edited:

As I remember it was Pickfords first game back after injury, possibly a bit rusty

If you watch Pickfords highlight video from last season you see a large portion of it is the Everton matches...Made about 7-8 big saves in them.

I have a theory that the more shots a team allows, the better quality those shots are. As teams play an easier defence they are more particular about closer better shots because they can be. Against a good defence, after 15 minutes they realize they need to take shots from outside. Its a theory anyway. If true would mean its even more impressive his save percentage.

I had the exact same thought tbh.

I think it's almost impossible to tell anything from keeper stats. The sample sizes are too low, and the number of instances where a good keeper would make a difference is even lower (some saves are simple; some shots are unstoppable). Also, so much of keeping is control of the box and distribution, and the stats don't pick up on either of those things well.

I agree and what excites me the most is his distribution. I think that could have a major impact on our team next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.