2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing here is the people that moan are mostly the same ones that dont give credit for the saves he makes and act silly by saying when was his last save etc despite it been in the last game-and say usual he should save it or camera save etc,it cant always be all one way as that was very good save if you like it or not yesterday as was the one v palace-despite the error v palace and the one he should do a bit better with for me yesterday

To win things you need a good goalkeeper. I don't think Pickford is good enough and would be amazed if he isn't replaced. How many soft goals does he have to let in before some see the light ? I am all for supporting our players, but lets be honest if he was in goal for another team would you want him? His main asset apparently is as a shot stopper. Well he seem to be a shot stopper that doesn't stop shots.

I can see him retaining Pickford. Stekelenburg's contract ends in June and Lossl has left. That means he has a lot of scope to fill the places with a very decent GK + stand by.
He did make that comment about having a preference for keepers who are good with their hands rather than their feet, could be a clue?

He did make that comment about having a preference for keepers who are good with their hands rather than their feet, could be a clue?
Let's hope so.

I've been banging the drum for Timo Horn for years. Still at Cologne. A consistent no frills GK.

Last 20 years worth of (established) Everton GKs in the post-Southall era (rated top to bottom, best to worst):

Martyn
Howard
Myhre
Robles
Pickford
Wright
Gerrard

...and that's being as generous to him as I can be.
The only one you could argue that he should be above, in my opinion, is Robles, as Robles wasn't really established

If I and presumably others voted Pickford “player of the season” in the calendar year of 2018 then I imagine that poll must have been held at the end of the 2017/18 season.

Ergo the Poll was held in the May of 2018.

Since then it has been mostly downhill for him.

For my part, your detective work illustrates I have no agenda and I am more than willing to give credit where it is due.

But I reserve the right to change my opinion on him....as the saying goes, when the facts change then I change my mind.

So what you are getting from me is an honest opinion based on the evidence I have seen with my own eyes this past fifteen months.

My other post states, quite clearly, that Pickford came under the spotlight on GOT in the December of 2018 with his infamous howler at The Pit.....seven months after I voted for him in the Poll.

That was followed in quick succession with the fiasco of the Spurs equaliser a few games later and then his antics at the Barcodes which were largely responsible for us blowing a two goal lead.

That is why I used December 2018 as the date sentiment about Pickford changed round these parts.

So, he might have been good in season 2017/18.....he was not good the season after nor is he good now.

There is absolutely zero chance he will win “player of the season” this year, nor even be in the running for it.

Why?

Simply because he is nowhere near as good as he was in 2017/18.

And whilst you are correct that some of our friends on here do indeed go overboard with their criticism of Pickford, the fact remains he is developing into a distinctly average goalkeeper and the mainstream media is only now cottoning what people on here began to realise in December 2018.

Spot on all of this. Plus I would hardly class being our player of the year in 2017/18 the yardstick for success. We were truly horrible that season

He has played 135 league games and only had 34 clean sheets and conceded over 200 goals.
Bin
For Everton-top 5-if this 100% correct via league

Howard 116 clean sheets in 354 prem games
Southall 62 clean sheets from 206/207 games
Martyn 31 clean sheets in 85 prem games-one a sub
Pickford 30 clean sheets in 103 PREM GAMES - [34 clean sheets in 118 in total]
Myhre 24 clean sheets from 70 prem games

league only

all games-all everton keepers

Last edited:
When was his last good game? Really can’t remember. Maybe Chelsea but I can’t recall if he actually had anything to do.

You don't really want a goalkeeper to be having a really good game. That usually means they're having to make a lot of saves which means the team aren't doing their job defensively.

The major mistake for me yesterday from Pickford was playing it out in the build up to the goal. It's stupid. So I include the defenders in that and yes, the manager, if that was what the tactic was. It was awful.

Of course Pickford should then do better with the strike.

As for all the 'get rid' shouts. He'll be off nowhere. We have far too many other priorities this summer and frankly, barring a miracle, we won't have the money to commit to including two goalkeepers in that just yet (as we already need another!)

He needs to improve. He needs a better coach and they need to help him improve. He probably also needs a kick up the arse. Since we haven't got decent competition (which needs addressing in the summer), hopefully that'll come in the form of being dropped by England for the March friendlies.

You don't really want a goalkeeper to be having a really good game. That usually means they're having to make a lot of saves which means the team aren't doing their job defensively.

The major mistake for me yesterday from Pickford was playing it out in the build up to the goal. It's stupid. So I include the defenders in that and yes, the manager, if that was what the tactic was. It was awful.

Of course Pickford should then do better with the strike.

As for all the 'get rid' shouts. He'll be off nowhere. We have far too many other priorities this summer and frankly, barring a miracle, we won't have the money to commit to including two goalkeepers in that just yet (as we already need another!)

He needs to improve. He needs a better coach and they need to help him improve. He probably also needs a kick up the arse. Since we haven't got decent competition (which needs addressing in the summer), hopefully that'll come in the form of being dropped by England for the March friendlies.
sidibe's pass to walcott think it was what was caused us to lose the ball to whoever then passed it to Bruno who then shot,if sidibe goes long from the touch line instead of looking for walcott then we were ok

Status
Not open for further replies.