2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selling him when he's a back up makes no sense,and keeping him as a squad player with the money we have tied up in him won't happen.If he isn't sold in the Summer he'll still be number one next season.

Totally agree, can't see the club selling him. We'd lose at least half what we paid for him.

Not convinced on the hysteria, me.

I think fans can be too susceptible to media narratives.

He's not been great, but he's not been atrocious either.

I'm not arsed what Graeme Souness and Roy Keane think - I reckon we need a 6 or 7 positions strengthening before the 'keeper.

This has been said for much longer than Keane and Souness focusing on it yesterday.

Over a 3 year period, he's making errors at a rate between 4 and 6 times more frequently than Nick Pope, Tom Heaton, Dean Henderson, Ben Foster, Jack Butland and countless other England keepers.

To each their own and all that, but he's a problem.

This has been said for much longer than Keane and Souness focusing on it yesterday.

Over a 3 year period, he's making errors at a rate between 4 and 6 times more frequently than Nick Pope, Tom Heaton, Dean Henderson, Ben Foster, Jack Butland and countless other England keepers.

How are we defining errors?

You're comparing Pickfords stats to those 'keepers over a 3 year period?

Pope couldn't get a game for Burnley last season ahead of Heaton.
Heaton averages 10 games a season in the past 3 years (including this)
Dean Henderson was in the championship last season, and league one the season before that.
Ben Foster lol
Jack Butland has spent the last two seasons in the Championship.

Not really comparable all considered.

Lies damned lies and statistics

Opta.

Errors leading to shots on target per 90 minutes across a 3 year period.

Is that a common metric? I can only find errors leading to goals, which Pickford still sits in joint second place on.

If I look at other stats he's middle of the pack in clean sheets, same in saves (although with 110 shots faced he's way behind his rivals for England in terms of shots against/goals).

Good stat, anyway. He is, as they say, bang out of form.

Selling him when he's a back up makes no sense,and keeping him as a squad player with the money we have tied up in him won't happen.If he isn't sold in the Summer he'll still be number one next season.
Not under Ancelotti. Ancelotti will get another GK in capable of getting his chance and securing the jersey.

He surley knows by now that Pickford's form isn't a blip. He's not an asset. He's a liability. CA wont tolerate that.

Dean Henderson was in the championship last season, and league one the season before that.
Ben Foster lol

Injury.

Is that a common metric? I can only find errors leading to goals, which Pickford still sits in joint second place on.

If I look at other stats he's middle of the pack in clean sheets, same in saves (although with 110 shots faced he's way behind his rivals for England in terms of shots against/goals).

Good stat, anyway. He is, as they say, bang out of form.

Errors leading to goals is often tricky as it relies on the strikers finishing the chances created in order to be factored in. By using 'shots on target' you create a bigger data set and then arguably, a more accurate picture of how often mistakes are being made.

Ben Foster lol

Ramsdale is also 0.04 per 90 compared to Pickfords 0.17 per 90.

However you want to dress it up, it's not good. He makes a lot more errors than your typical Premier League keeper.

Errors leading to goals is often tricky as it relies on the strikers finishing the chances created in order to be factored in. By using 'shots on target' you create a bigger data set and then arguably, a more accurate picture of how often mistakes are being made.

Ramsdale is also 0.04 per 90 compared to Pickfords 0.17 per 90.

However you want to dress it up, it's not good. He makes a lot more errors than your typical Premier League keeper.

Wait until I show you some Gylfi Sigurdsson stats mate...

£15M for him and invest it on another keeper and bring another in to replace Stekelenburg.

The thing is Dave, who's going to pay £15m for Pickford? I genuinely can't think of any team that would.

I think the more likely outcome is that we keep him as #1 for next season, at the detriment of the side.

Alternatively, what I hope happens, is that Ancelotti insists he goes, we end up signing someone like Meret, Onana, Donnarumma, Casteels or Lopes.

And Jordan ends up going out on loan somewhere to rebuild his reputation, possibly like Hart did to Torino, going abroad might be the making of him.

Not convinced on the hysteria, me.

I think fans can be too susceptible to media narratives.

He's not been great, but he's not been atrocious either.

I'm not arsed what Graeme Souness and Roy Keane think - I reckon we need a 6 or 7 positions strengthening before the 'keeper.
Head in the sand.

People on this forum were discussing his relentless errors last season and it has become an epidemic this year.

In 50 years of following this club I cannot think of another player who kept his place after consistently proving incompetent over such a long period of time.

Yes we need more competition up front, we need leaders in midfield and centre half and some full backs but above all you start with your spine, your number 1. The guy the back 4 and centre mid need faith in.

Sort this out FIRST and build from there, if it is not you may as well accept 10th-8th place every year for infinitum.

Status
Not open for further replies.