Joel Robles

Status
Not open for further replies.
We beat Bournemouth by 3 clear goals mate
I seem to remember they were getting very much back into the game when he made two very good saves.
From the Echo
"70 Save by Robles as King gets in between them again. Corner".
"75 Robles booked for dissent. Kicked the ball away in anger after Jones fails to spot a foul.
Arter forces him into a smart save".
All Cherries.

As usual you have not come up with stats were Robles cost us a game the Derby in the last minute was a bad defensive mix up , a scuffed shot that crept past our defence no sight of it that us debatable - talk me through Steks performance away at Chelsea?
Another add on to my post on keeping mistakes UNT at home when The Stek went walkies, and pony tail just lobbed into an empty net - we got a late pen to get a draw that could have been 3 vital points - talk us through that awful error far worse, and costly that Robles has performed at home this season?
Every keeper is allowed the odd mistake, but Robles imo opinion is the best of the two, but he's not Dutch!

I don't think that you can look at the stats and reach a decision. In any game the timing of a mistake or indeed a save can make a huge difference and change momentum. Both goalkeepers have had good performances and bad ones. Joel has been much better this year than I anticipated but as I have said before I wonder if the defenders have complete confidence in either.

Only the coaching staff can see whether there is more to come from Joel. If he continues to improve and becomes more confident and consistent there is a player there. If he becomes a number 2 then he'll stagnate.

I seem to remember they were getting very much back into the game when he made two very good saves.
From the Echo
"75 Robles booked for dissent. Kicked the ball away in anger after Jones fails to spot a foul.
All Cherries.

Haha what?

His mistake against Burnley was to make it 1-1 but you discount his mistake because we won by 2 clear goals.

So using your logic the saves he made V Bournemouth are irrelevant because we won by 3 clear goals.

Saves against Foxes,Bournmouth,Boro away Scott Dann header v Palace...but then he did give away a stupid penalty in a game we won by two clear goals.Maybe we have someone to take Osmans crown.

Of course that would mean that logic would need to be applied in this thread and we haven't had since he became the top keeper in the country according to some in here

As usual you have not come up with stats were Robles cost us a game the Derby in the last minute was a bad defensive mix up , a scuffed shot that crept past our defence no sight of it that us debatable - talk me through Steks performance away at Chelsea?

Oh the joy, another post that makes no sense and still talking about other keepers that once again has nothing to do with my post.

This thread is like the bloody twilight zone.

Oh the joy, another post that makes no sense and still talking about other keepers that once again has nothing to do with my post.

This thread is like the bloody twilight zone.
Your post stated you were going to work out how many points Robles had cost us in points - the only twilight zone is you not coming up with much on him!

Haha what?

His mistake against Burnley was to make it 1-1 but you discount his mistake because we won by 2 clear goals.

So using your logic the saves he made V Bournemouth are irrelevant because we won by 3 clear goals.

Of course that would mean that logic would need to be applied in this thread and we haven't had since he became the top keeper in the country according to some in here
Come on,you know enough about football to know it's more about when in a game a save is made or a shot missed that makes the difference.If Bournemouth had gotten level,maybe a different result.If the Burnley pen had been the opening goal they could have parked the bus for their first away win.The worlds best keeper (alleged) let a Ronaldo half hit shot go virtually straight through him to equalise in a CL quarter final which they went on to lose.And I'm struggling to find where I've posted Robles is the countries top keeper.You'd have had pups if he'd performed like Lloris did at City.Lets just say he's not as good as some but better than most keepers in the Prem.

Come on,you know enough about football to know it's more about when in a game a save is made or a shot missed that makes the difference.If Bournemouth had gotten level,maybe a different result.If the Burnley pen had been the opening goal they could have parked the bus for their first away win.The worlds best keeper (alleged) let a Ronaldo half hit shot go virtually straight through him to equalise in a CL quarter final which they went on to lose.And I'm struggling to find where I've posted Robles is the countries top keeper.You'd have had pups if he'd performed like Lloris did at City.Lets just say he's not as good as some but better than most keepers in the Prem.
Or if your auntie had testicles she would be your uncle with that ifs and maybes answer still waiting fir how many points Robles has cost us?

From the Echo
All Cherries.
That second was going wide and he didn't need to save it. If they'd scored from the corner it would have been another goal he'd cost us. So probably not the best example to use.

I'm not sure why it's so difficult to all just agree that he's an occasionally good, usually OK, sometimes shocking goalkeeper. All keepers have good games, all have bad games. The difference between the really good ones and the rest is that they have more of the good games, and their mistakes are rare enough to be remembered. Unfortunately for Joel he doesn't seem to be able to get to that level. After a very good run, he's had a number of games where he's simply not been at an acceptable level for a team in the top 7. After 4 years of being here, I don't think he ever will be.

That second was going wide and he didn't need to save it. If they'd scored from the corner it would have been another goal he'd cost us. So probably not the best example to use.

I'm not sure why it's so difficult to all just agree that he's an occasionally good, usually OK, sometimes shocking goalkeeper. All keepers have good games, all have bad games. The difference between the really good ones and the rest is that they have more of the good games, and their mistakes are rare enough to be remembered. Unfortunately for Joel he doesn't seem to be able to get to that level. After a very good run, he's had a number of games where he's simply not been at an acceptable level for a team in the top 7. After 4 years of being here, I don't think he ever will be.
Again assumption,fact he has !
Let in only 8 goals at home since taking over from The Stek!
Loads of clean sheets we shot up the league!

I think Robles was top notch up to the Spurs away game. Prior to that game his goalkeeping was of the highest standard
and in terms of shots stopped was best in the League. He was confident, strong in the air and distributed well. I actually thought he had nailed the job down for next season.

Then there was Kane's first goal which beat him at the near post and the cock-up with Morgan for the third, the amazing Origi goal at Anfield
when he let a straight shot down the middle, the Leicester free-kick and then the Burnley penalty which I think has finally cooked his goose.

I would have liked him to get the gig full-time but recognize that he has not grabbed the chance with both hands and has dropped the ball.

But Pickford is not the answer

I think Robles was top notch up to the Spurs away game. Prior to that game his goalkeeping was of the highest standard
and in terms of shots stopped was best in the League. He was confident, strong in the air and distributed well. I actually thought he had nailed the job down for next season.

Then there was Kane's first goal which beat him at the near post and the cock-up with Morgan for the third, the amazing Origi goal at Anfield
when he let a straight shot down the middle, the Leicester free-kick and then the Burnley penalty which I think has finally cooked his goose.

I would have liked him to get the gig full-time but recognize that he has not grabbed the chance with both hands and has dropped the ball.

Summed up quite well there mate.

Agree on Pickford I think too.

It's frustrating because it shows to me Joel has the ability but maybe not the confidence. Though I would like to see him get a chance to bounce back before we bin him off! It would be harsh to give up on any player after their first dip in form since becoming a regular starter.

It's frustrating because it shows to me Joel has the ability but maybe not the confidence. Though I would like to see him get a chance to bounce back before we bin him off! It would be harsh to give up on any player after their first dip in form since becoming a regular starter.

Providing Maarten doesn't balls up between now and the end of the season, which is entirely possible, we may well have seen the last of Joel now.

Status
Not open for further replies.