2020/21 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're out with a serious injury for a very long time, then no matter how good you were previously it's unlikely you'll ever capture that level or get near such form again, whether he would have been a good signing is probably a fairly mute point. You can think of Bolassie at our own club, Torres at Liverpool/Chelsea even Wilshere at Arsenal but many others

The signing has been a disaster from start to finish so don't go throwing good money after bad, put it down to sheer bad luck but you have to move on from now. The probabilities of him being worth a new contract are diminishing so get him off the wage bill even if there's a huge loss with a negligable fee (at best).

Last edited:
You'd have to think he'll have some serious muscle wastage after successive thigh and achilles problems. If you didn't use your legs in any meaningful manner for 18 months you'd be very likely to injure yourself going into anything like a run, lets alone the pace and physicality of the prem. Wish the lad all the best as I suspect he would've walked into our team in a 4-3-3 as the defensive mid allowing both Allan and Doucoure to push up a bit, but genuinely doubt he'll ever get up to speed for us again. At least he has age on his side.

If you're out with a serious injury for a very long time, then no matter how good you were previously it's unlikely you'll ever capture that level or get near such form again, whether he would have been a good signing is probably a fairly mute point. You can think of Bolassie at our own club, Torres at Liverpool/Chelsea even Wilshire at Arsenal but many others

The signing has been a disaster from start to finish so don't go throwing good money after bad, put it down to sheer bad luck but you have to move on from now. The probabilities of him being worth a new contract are diminishing so get him off the wage bill even if there's a huge loss with a negligable fee (at best).

The lad has also had 3 fairly serious injuries back to back as well (I appreciate 1 & 2 are related). He had a bad muscle tear, a complications that then required surgery, then finally an achilles injury.

2 of those 3 are really serious. To have 18 months out of football is also really difficult to come back from, and ever really hit the ground running, especially as a "physical" player who clarly relied on power and strength before.

The level sportsman, and footballers operate at now, I do think it's difficult to get away with being 90% and playing.

So I'm catious on him. Anything we get will be a nice bonus. It's a shame but it happens.

The lad has also had 3 fairly serious injuries back to back as well (I appreciate 1 & 2 are related). He had a bad muscle tear, a complications that then required surgery, then finally an achilles injury.

2 of those 3 are really serious. To have 18 months out of football is also really difficult to come back from, and ever really hit the ground running, especially as a "physical" player who clarly relied on power and strength before.

The level sportsman, and footballers operate at now, I do think it's difficult to get away with being 90% and playing.

So I'm catious on him. Anything we get will be a nice bonus. It's a shame but it happens.

If ever he gets fit enough, think we should sell if we can get an offer.

We simply don’t know. This is an astonishing set of circumstances, paid big money for someone to never play and now their contract is coming up. I’m genuinely lost at what you would do? He’s either leaving for free or a pittance or we have to extend that contract without any understanding of whether he a) will ever be truly fit b) can kick a ball.

but it is what it is, you can’t advocate for it.

I would negotiate with him to offer him hope for the future which might benefit the club and him personally. And we could be up front, that if you get fit you either have a chance to play or to be sold to a different club idk!#? I assume if he's a decent person he would want to try and play for us and prove himself, or would not want to just sit around for a salary. The deal could be something like - get fit, prove yourself, and after 6 months of being fit and getting in the squad we'll review then, say by Summer 2022. He cannot seriously be negotiating a new contract? If anything we should be able to switch his contract to a short term or an appearance / injury based one if they still exist?

Its such bad luck, but obviously nobody is gonna buy him or loan him so we may as well give him a try to either sell him for something small or to play for us maybe properly by Summer 2021

I just hope he can stay injury free now. It'll be tough for him to get back to where he was physically but he's young enough. I don't think we'll see much of him this season but I don't want to give up on him yet. Hopefully he'll be fully recovered next season and then we'll see what he's got.

...the club posted a lengthy clip of a training session in the last few days & I didn’t spot Gbamin or DCL. Looked like Tyler Onyango & Ellis Simms were involved.

You'd have to think he'll have some serious muscle wastage after successive thigh and achilles problems. If you didn't use your legs in any meaningful manner for 18 months you'd be very likely to injure yourself going into anything like a run, lets alone the pace and physicality of the prem. Wish the lad all the best as I suspect he would've walked into our team in a 4-3-3 as the defensive mid allowing both Allan and Doucoure to push up a bit, but genuinely doubt he'll ever get up to speed for us again. At least he has age on his side.

Nowhere near 18 months not using his legs though

Status
Not open for further replies.