January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean you are calling Harry Maguire and Kovavic top tier players, not to mention Pepe and Nmbolaolalaoooeoe.

I mean being honest not a single player in that list is top tier.
Any one of them players that you refer to would've improved us. What's your definition of top tier? The free market gives us a clue as to how highly those players are coveted. You pay for what you get.

Agreed but would they have ever found Kane if they parachuted in a 50-60 mill striker. Kane seemed to have come from no where but in truth he was on the fringes at Spurs and out on years of loans before he developed into what he is today, which is my point really on developing players and nurturing raw talent. I do think spurs and the strategy is down more to just Harry Kane though, they clearly developed their own players and augmented them with some canny signings, their success was incremental, climbing rung and rung of the ladder. Its the route i think we should follow, instead of looking for the easy win by buying it, like Chelsea and City.

Signing players at the appex of their prices, isnt the way for us in my honest opinion with where we are at the moment. Dont get me wrong im not exclusively opposed to it, but should be cherry on the cake stuff rather then following continuous chasing gold approach. It just doesn't work for clubs in our position in my opinion.
Spurs were laughed at after they sold Bale cos they spent it all on average players. They couldn't attract the top tier players. Kane changed all that. It was a miracle he wanted to stay on the comparatively meager wages he was on compared to most other top strikers. They will make a statue of him outside the ground in the future. He is world class. When he's gone Spurs will drop off guaranteed.

Any one of them players that you refer to would've improved us. What's your definition of top tier? The free market gives us a clue as to how highly those players are coveted. You pay for what you get.

I define top tier as players with pedigree.

You see I consider our signing of Moise Kean to be a bigger coup than any of those signings, hes also not top tier either for the record.

Im not saying they are bad players, but most of them arent what you consider proven talent.

No doubt all will improve their teams and they defo would have improved us, maybe not Kovavic cos hes utter garbo, but they none of them are a Griezeman or an Mbappe.

I mean what statement does signing Harry Maguire for 80m actually make? Did the whole world go "wow what a coup" or did the whole world go "LOL 80m for Harry Maguire"

What makes him a top tier player in your mind, the price tag and team he plays for? Because having watched him for a season, he looks absolutely average.
He won the champions league three times with Real Madrid. How many of our players have come close to that?

I’m not sure Chelsea will. They have 2 young wide players in pulisic & Hudson odoi, they would stop their progress. I think Chelsea have other areas to improve first.

But I don’t think we will buy him or doucoure. I said yesterday you could be looking at 150mil for the 2 including wages. I think Brands could use that money better

I’m not sure Chelsea will. They have 2 young wide players in pulisic & Hudson odoi, they would stop their progress. I think Chelsea have other areas to improve first.

But I don’t tho knee will buy him or doucoure. I said yesterday you could be looking at 150mil for the 2 including wages. I think Brands could use that money better

Chelsea defo need a Striker like.

Either way we wont be dropping 80m on Zaha in Jan, IMO.

And I wouldnt be surprised to see Palace dancing with the bottom of the league come December, they are a terrible, terrible side, they make it difficult at home for teams, but if we had a little more quality we would have blown them away, as it is we were in a little rut, which im fairly confident we will leave on Saturday!

You see I consider our signing of Moise Kean to be a bigger coup than any of those signings, hes also not top tier either for the record.

Im not saying they are bad players, but most of them arent what you consider proven talent.

No doubt all will improve their teams and they defo would have improved us, maybe not Kovavic cos hes utter garbo, but they none of them are a Griezeman or an Mbappe.

I mean what statement does signing Harry Maguire for 80m actually make? Did the whole world go "wow what a coup" or did the whole world go "LOL 80m for Harry Maguire"

I know what Bournmouth thought when Leicester tried to get Ake to replace him.

We will see at the end of the season what statement spending 80m on Harry Maguire makes. If he carries on playing like he did at the weekend Utd will challenge for top four. He is better than any of our central defenders. If we did have a better centre back than him guess what? We would've of sold him. Your definition of top tier is different to mine. That's okay.

Ps Kovacic has won champions league three times with Real Madrid. He is known as 'the professor.' He is a better player than Gbamin.

We will see at the end of the season what statement spending 80m on Harry Maguire makes. If he carries on playing like he did at the weekend Utd will challenge for top four. He is better than any of our central defenders. If we did have a better centre back than him guess what? We would've of sold him. Your definition of top tier is different to mine. That's okay.

Ps Kovacic has won champions league three times with Real Madrid. He is known as 'the professor.' He is a better player than Gbamin.

Kovacic isnt even better than Tom Davies.

Ps Phil Neville won 6 Premier League titles with Manchester United. He is known as "the pointer". He is a better player than Stevie G.

Chelsea defo need a Striker like.

Either way we wont be dropping 80m on Zaha in Jan, IMO.

And I wouldnt be surprised to see Palace dancing with the bottom of the league come December, they are a terrible, terrible side, they make it difficult at home for teams, but if we had a little more quality we would have blown them away, as it is we were in a little rut, which im fairly confident we will leave on Saturday!

Quite clearly Brands has a fee he's willing to pay and doesn't go much beyond that. It is reported we bid once, at the low to mid 50 million range. I suspect this is the fee he is willing to pay. That may even come down by January if Palace are really struggling and Zaha has had a poor few months. I wouldn't rule out such a deal. Unlike Zouma I think he could prove hard to manage if he doesn't get his move.

What he clearly does as well, which all good buyers do, is agree a price then start discussing payment terms and additional extras. So essentially a fee is agreed, then he starts discussions on how to stagger payments, and how much of it should be paid in instalments or bonuses etc.

It's a good strategy with European teams but a big harder to pull off in the PL. Maybe Zaha might be the first. What is clear though, is there will be no panicked bids going in.

Status
Not open for further replies.