January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will see at the end of the season what statement spending 80m on Harry Maguire makes. If he carries on playing like he did at the weekend Utd will challenge for top four. He is better than any of our central defenders. If we did have a better centre back than him guess what? We would've of sold him. Your definition of top tier is different to mine. That's okay.

Ps Kovacic has won champions league three times with Real Madrid. He is known as 'the professor.' He is a better player than Gbamin.

He's a funny one Maguire. His stats show he's not as good as Keane. Seems a good fit for Manchester United though, and maybe be one of those players who gets better with better players around him.

Spurs were laughed at after they sold Bale cos they spent it all on average players. They couldn't attract the top tier players. Kane changed all that. It was a miracle he wanted to stay on the comparatively meager wages he was on compared to most other top strikers. They will make a statue of him outside the ground in the future. He is world class. When he's gone Spurs will drop off guaranteed.

Yep hes a good player, mad to think we have lads in our academy with better underage scoring records. I dont think its the Harry Kane show though and ive no doubt he will be flogged eventually its there model, they are more then a one man team, i think its the Poch show to be honest.

Taking into account Onyekuru's sale - we have a net spend of about £16 million.

Depending on what Tosun goes for we'll be near enough evens you'll imagine this summer.

Absolutely no excuses not to be bringing in 2-3 in January - at the minimum we need a CB & CM.

Schnerderlin can bugger off on loan then never to return hopefully.

Yeah Silva said £28mil then now Onyekuru has gone its about £16mil.

Id be happy for Tosun, Bolasie etc to go now. Schneiderlin needs to stay until jan if theres a buyer otherwise end of the season when hes got 1 year left and we can loan him (and bolasie/mirallas/cuco) so gone forever.

Its actually weak to sign players in Jan unless they are going to either;

A-- Come in and push us onto a cup or into a much higher position

B-- Need time to adapt having come from South America.

It would be sensible for us to go for a couple of south americans and one or two others on loans with optional buy clauses in summer.

Id disagree with that mate, i think we should be buying players and be developing them before they are worth 70 milll, which they well could chasing high profile, high cost signings is just fools gold, one we cant afford and two like it or not we are at the bottom of the food chain of CL clubs and will be waiting until they have had their main courses.

Our approach must be buy raw, develop and build.

Brands has said today he wants us to be in a position soon where we only make 2-3 signings per summer and 2-3 out.

I think next summer we will see him 'finish' off the squad build so we have a full squad. Then following seasons we will focus on a couple of super signings to take us up a level every summer.

World class players dont grow on trees. We have Digne who i consider to be up and around that level. Also Richarlison and Kean who could reach that level...possibly Mina and Gbamin too...

But we need to be in a position where we have a top 7 spot almost guaranteed each season ( like the top 6 do) and are far ahead of 8th place.

Where we have been and this season probably will be falling apart a bit is in terms of quality squad depth. Also lacking a couple of X factor players to win games for us.

Next summer we have players with only 12 months left who can be loaned out never to return...so that will help us to budget.

Bolasie
Schneiderlin
Walcott
Cuco

Theres alot of them.

I agree with what you say about buying young/ raw like Richarlison / Kean / Gbamin. However we need to balance that with also buying 'ready made' to ensure we keep closing the gap to the top 6.

Another summer with a LB / CB / RB / CM / WF and the squad will be full.

Yep hes a good player, mad to think we have lads in our academy with better underage scoring records. I dont think its the Harry Kane show though and ive no doubt he will be flogged eventually its there model, they are more then a one man team, i think its the Poch show to be honest.
Nah, he's obviously a very good coach but take away the 25 goals and poof! He may as well be back at Southampton.

Contracts expiring:

Cuco
Mirallas
Niasse
Stekelenburg
Baines
Sidibe

Pennington
Bolasie
Sandro
Besic
Dowell
Connolly
Schneiderlin
Walcott

This would mean that 6 players would be out of contract and 8 players would only have 12 months left with us likely loaning them out till their contracts expire -- effectively saying adios to them.

That will really help us next summer as we can budget for 14+ players not being at the club.

In my estimations we need:

Left back
Right back
Centre back
Defensive midfield
Centre midfield
Wide forward

Those players would 'complete' the squad.

I agree with those saying we need a centre back in Jan, perhaps even one more in midfield too.

Next summer i believe will be 'the big one' and in a sense its good we kept our powder a bit dry on fees this summer as then next summer we should have big wages off the books + a large transfer kitty.

If you take his goals away Spurs would have still finished in the same position.
That was the Lukaku argument as well. With that train of thought why don't we just not have strikers anymore! Err because you need a top one to win the league. Ask Spurs fans if they wouldn't mind Kane leaving as you'd win the league anyway? Makes no sense does it?

Don’t know about that, he’s been out for significant periods with injury and they’ve barely blinked. Getting to the CL final a case in point.

Son is class.
So you're saying you'd rather have Son in your team than Kane? If you had to choose one which would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.