January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. That's the problem. It's a financial issue. Even though we are better off these days unfortunately with FFP and the fact commercially we don't compete with the top clubs it paralyses us.

FFP doesn't paralyse anyone. It is not something that has been a factor in the lack of investment in our playing squad.

I predict this thread will hit 2,600 pages before the realisation sets in we will not sign anybody of significance (barring an emergency need) in January

Brands has only done it ONCE, EVER,

Plenty of room for Esk, DaveK and other doom and gloomers to spread propoganda and send fume into over drive so i am all for this thread lol

I don't disagree up to a point. You make an excellent analogy about the top clubs feasting on the main courses. It's the like of us that have to pay over the odds for the scraps.

Just think that, yes we should develop, but at the same time you need that one special player to kick on. You need a core who stay loyal. You want the buy to sell model. Okay it makes sense for now but we will never win the league! You gotta spend big to do that.

Id have a different pathway to be honest, the top players that would come here at the moment arent the ones we should be after, they are surplus to requirements at clubs who are achieving and will lack th motivation of what psychologically will be a step down in my opinion. Equally if a player chooses us over City, UTd etc, their motivation s finacial, lets e honest.

In either case, i believe we need to make incremental steps in developing players and get to the CL that way, similar to Spurs, who learned a long time ago that spending big wasnt a pathway to instant success, theirs was incremental and our needs to be too.

I agree you can go for the signings you mention when you have developed a successful team and achieved and have something to offer them, not when players are on their way down in their careers and no one else above us wants them and they are the best we can get because no one else is interested.

There is a time to make big signings and that when youve achieved, like adding a cherry on top. I think we are going about it the right way at the moment and am fully committed to the approach.

I hope we go back in for Zaha over Docoure - I think in Europe you could get a much better CM for the money requested for Docoure but for me providing Palace would knock their 80 million price down slightly - I dont think we could get/attract anyone better out wide.

He did more in 30 odd minutes agaisnt us than Richarlison/Bernard did all game - he would easily be our star man alongside Digne.

Kean

Zaha Iwobi Richarlison

What a team lads

Id have a different pathway to be honest, the top players that would come here at the moment arent the ones we should be after, they are surplus to requirements at clubs who are achieving and will lack th motivation of what psychologically will be a step down in my opinion. Equally if a player chooses us over City, UTd etc, their motivation s finacial, lets e honest.

In either case, i believe we need to make incremental steps in developing players and get to the CL that way, similar to Spurs, who learned a long time ago that spending big wasnt a pathway to instant success, theirs was incremental and our needs to be too.

I agree you can go for the signings you mention when you have developed a successful team and achieved and have something to offer them, not when players are on their way down in their careers and no one else above us wants them and they are the best we can get because no one else is interested.

There is a time to make big signings and that when youve achieved, like adding a cherry on top. I think we are going about it the right way at the moment and am fully committed to the approach.
Yes but Spurs were afforded the luxury of a very loyal 25 goal superstar Kane who allowed them to make these incremental steps.

We sold our superstar goal scorer and bought poorly.

Yes but Spurs were afforded the luxury of a very loyal 25 goal superstar Kane who allowed them to make these incremental steps.

We sold our superstar goal scorer and bought poorly.

Agreed but would they have ever found Kane if they parachuted in a 50-60 mill striker. Kane seemed to have come from no where but in truth he was on the fringes at Spurs and out on years of loans before he developed into what he is today, which is my point really on developing players and nurturing raw talent. I do think spurs and the strategy is down more to just Harry Kane though, they clearly developed their own players and augmented them with some canny signings, their success was incremental, climbing rung and rung of the ladder. Its the route i think we should follow, instead of looking for the easy win by buying it, like Chelsea and City.

Signing players at the appex of their prices, isnt the way for us in my honest opinion with where we are at the moment. Dont get me wrong im not exclusively opposed to it, but should be cherry on the cake stuff rather then following continuous chasing gold approach. It just doesn't work for clubs in our position in my opinion.

Agreed but would they have ever found Kane if they parachuted in a 50-60 mill striker. Kane seemed to have come from no where but in truth he was on the fringes at Spurs and out on years of loans before he developed into what he is today, which is my point really on developing players and nurturing raw talent. I do think spurs and the strategy is down more to just Harry Kane though, they clearly developed their own players and augmented them with some canny signings, their success was incremental, climbing rung and rung of the ladder. Its the route i think we should follow, instead of looking for the easy win by buying it, like Chelsea and City.

Signing players at the appex of their prices, isnt the way for us in my honest opinion with where we are at the moment. Dont get me wrong im not exclusively opposed to it, but should be cherry on the cake stuff rather then following continuous chasing gold approach. It just doesn't work for clubs in our position in my opinion.
They have a wierd knack of getting the best players from smaller clubs for buttons and selling their dross for decent money every time

Here is an observation:

If you examine the top six sides all, but Liverpool, bought 'top tier' players in the summer.

Spurs - Tanguy Ndombele - 55m
Man Utd - Harry Maguire - 83m
Chelsea - Mateo Kovacic - 40m
Arsenal - Nicolas Pepe - 72m
Man City - Rodri - 73m

Now there other examples of other great players that the above clubs have purchased this window but the above represents the highest fee paid for one single player purchase.

So what am I trying to say?

They all have paid a lot more than us for the cream, you know, the so-called STATEMENT purchases. These players will mostly always improve your team.

I noticed some posters getting all hyped up before the Palace game extolling our purchases this window. The mantra was lets push on and challenge top four!

I admire their positivity but it simply ain't gonna happen, not yet anyway.

Until we have access to buying the real top tier players, ie the STATEMENT SIGNINGS, we will always be languishing below the teams mentioned above.

Okay one of these top six may have a 'one off' poor season. It may happen to Chelsea this season hopefully but the odds are still stacked in their favour to finish above us.

So how the hell did Spurs become one of these so called top six clubs? One name, Harry Kane! They were like us a few years back. Paying too much for good players but not being able to attract the cream. Spurs had a generational slice of luck though didn't they. Kane came through the ranks and was a goal machine. Unbelievably he stayed loyal as well which meant they could then build a team around him. Imagine if Rooney had stayed all those years ago or Lukaku and we had the purchasing power we have now back then. We could've built something special just like Spurs are doing now. What I'm trying to say is because 'World Class' Kane didn't want to leave it made Spurs more attractive for top tier players to want to join them. As a player you'd love to join a club with a goal machine up front wouldn't you?

If Moise Kean, in say 2 years time, scored 20 for us the likelihood is we'd have to sell him to a top club. There's the difference you see. A section of the fan base would congratulate Brands for generating a tremendous profit. It'd be invested in some decent prospects but not one of them would be a STATEMENT SIGNING!

Going forward Everton must retain their top tier players and not sell them to the elite clubs, such as Gueye, Lukaku, Stones and Barkey. We could then perhaps attract better players, statement players and build a top four team.

What we have done is bought good players that may become better with coaching and maturity. It's a business model that if pursued successfully can maintain your club in good financial health. We are certainly a team that is good in possession, nice on the eye. It can be pretty to watch. Long gone are the 'lump it up the pitch' days!

However in that final third, where the decision making makes all the difference, can we honestly say we convert our chances like the top six can time after time?

My hope for Everton is that we have got to get rid of the parasites that I believe are holding us back financially, such as Besic, Bolassie, Mirallas, Sandro, Niasse, Tosun, Walcott and Scheiderlin. Then if we improve the core players we have and Kean starts scoring maybe we will become an attractive club for top players to want to join. I hope so.

You see until we can sign the likes of Zaha we can never say, "okay lads let's push on for top four!"

I mean you are calling Harry Maguire and Kovavic top tier players, not to mention Pepe and Nmbolaolalaoooeoe.

I mean being honest not a single player in that list is top tier.

A top-tier player is a player we'd love to have, but one that would never* come to us.

*Finish a few places in the league, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.