2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not that he’s lazy, I don’t think he has endurance so he paces himself by walking/jogging. Even ronaldo does it at times because he saves himself for moments.

In preseason, Rafael had him as one of the three midfielders like what Gomes was last night. I think that’s where he played in the American tour games. That probably makes sense as he could distribute and keep possession, but he would also have to show defensive awareness in that position which he’s probably behind Gomes.

I mean come on mate, we played a back 5 against Burnley ffs so pick any one of that back 3 and lob James behind a striker isn't it.

When DCL is back its more options. There's just no way we've got a squad deep enough with quality that we should be turning our noses up at Rodriguez.
Always consider the 'groups' when responding mate and never forget, when the seagulls fly over Goodison, it's because Benitez is trying to throw James into the sea.

1631724829590.png

I have not seen a suggestion that he is refusing to play but I firmly believe that he will leave at the first viable opportunity.

What I don't understand is the suggestion that Benitez won't play him because of some petty reason.
Every manager wants to put out the best team at his disposal and to win every match.
A manager refusing to pick a player for non football reasons makes no sense to me.

Benitez feels that his team is better or better balanced or more hard working or more effective without JR and that is a footballing decision.
The manager sees his players every day in training and picks his team from there.

I find it more peculiar that in spite of Everton wanting the player to leave and James clearly wanting to leave that no club could be found to take him.
I want to believe you are right. I have actually said numerous times in here that I believe Benitez to be a pragmatic manager.

But here are the facts leading upto Monday night.

James returned to pre season training on time and played a part in all of our pre season games. He missed 2 weeks training after the Utd game as he was self isolating, but has been back in full training for 3 weeks (apart from the few days break that all none International players got). Not picked for match days squad on Monday.

Godfrey has also been out since the United game but we understand that he actually had covid rather than just self isolating. Returned to trainibg a week after James, but started on Monday. It was clear from the game that he wasn't fit.

Gbamin also out through self isolating, returned for the Huddersfield game, and then was out again with toothache or something. Only returned to training last week. Considered for enough for bench.

Davies. Out injured since the Huddersfield game. Returned to training on Thursday. Considered fit enough for bench.

Rondon. Not played since end of Russian league, no preseason and only trained with the club for less than 2 weeks. Considered fit enough for bench, introduced late on and understandably looked like a pub player due to lack of football and preseason.

James was the only senior fit player not included in the matchday 20 (apart from the 3rd keeper) and even Gordon was selected ahead of him. The reason given was fitness, but there were at least 3 players out there that were conceivably less match ready than James, and 2 of them actually showed it on the pitch.

Players like Townsend have come out and said that James is working hard in training, and James himself has said that he is fit and available for selection and committed to Everton.

Now, at this stage, I'm not saying that Benitez is leaving him out because of non footballing reasons and I said on Monday that I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt, but the above are undeniable facts (no pun intended) that are hard to ignore. With another weeks full training behind him I expect to see him on the bench for the Villa game, and hopefully get a few minutes game time before starting against QPR.

If he is still not making the squad then I think it's valid for people to question the managers motives for omitting him. If it is due to some long standing issue between the, then, in my opinion, the manager is being unprofessional in putting himself ahead of the good of the club. But let's not jump the gun. I still expect him start making the squad.

We all know his faults but he has some amazing assets and actually knowing he's not going to track back makes it easier to accommodate. If he's doing a 25 minute stint it's likely we are going to be chasing so there is an element of risk anyways. Who else could have played that through ball at Anfield or scored that goal against Palace. He did both.
We also have Townsend now who can score worldies from outside the area. I'm not just saying that because of Monday's goal, he's been unlucky from distance about half a dozen times in the short spell he's had with us. But yeah, he hasn't got James' vision. Not many in world football do.

You better break your bollox for Ben in training, boy. You might get an appearance in the league cup.

I want to believe you are right. I have actually said numerous times in here that I believe Benitez to be a pragmatic manager.

James returned to pre season training on time and played a part in all of our pre season games. He missed 2 weeks training after the Utd game as he was self isolating, but has been back in full training for 3 weeks (apart from the few days break that all none International players got). Not picked for match days squad on Monday.

Godfrey has also been out since the United game but we understand that he actually had covid rather than just self isolating. Returned to trainibg a week after James, but started on Monday. It was clear from the game that he wasn't fit.

Gbamin also out through self isolating, returned for the Huddersfield game, and then was out again with toothache or something. Only returned to training last week. Considered for enough for bench.

Davies. Out injured since the Huddersfield game. Returned to training on Thursday. Considered fit enough for bench.

Rondon. Not played since end of Russian league, no preseason and only trained with the club for less than 2 weeks. Considered fit enough for bench, introduced late on and understandably looked like a pub player due to lack of football and preseason.

James was the only senior fit player not included in the matchday 20 (apart from the 3rd keeper) and even Gordon was selected ahead of him. The reason given was fitness, but there were at least 3 players out there that were conceivably less match ready than James, and 2 of them actually showed it on the pitch.

Players like Townsend have come out and said that James is working hard in training, and James himself has said that he is fit and available for selection and committed to Everton.

Now, at this stage, I'm not saying that Benitez is leaving him out because of non footballing reasons and I said on Monday that I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt, but the above are undeniable facts (no pun intended) that are hard to ignore. With another weeks full training behind him I expect to see him on the bench for the Villa game, and hopefully get a few minutes game time before starting against QPR.

If he is still not making the squad then I think it's valid for people to question the managers motives for omitting him. If it is due to some long standing issue between the, then, in my opinion, the manager is being unprofessional in putting himself ahead of the good of the club. But let's not jump the gun. I still expect him start making the squad.
It’s about trust
He doesn’t trust James to do what he wants and he trusts those players above - simples

Completely agree.

Monday could have gone very differently. We may not have scored so quickly after going a goal down and we could have done with binning plan A and having someone with a unique ability to create come off the bench. Whatever beef Benitez and James have had in the past is in the past so both need to put aside any ego and let each other know what to expect and get on with it.

If benitez doesnt have James involved in some capacity, despite him being our most technically gifted player (by an absolute mile by the way), then he's not being a good manager. If James is being a problem because Benitez is back, then hes acting poorly too.

If he isnt involved against QPR but is fit, then thats the end. I expect him to start that game.

It’s about trust
He doesn’t trust James to do what he wants and he trusts those players above - simples
Agreed,

but when what he wants to do isnt working for 60mins like it didnt on Monday, there are times when James will be the best option.

They both have to just get over their ego's. if Benitez wants a world class footballer to come and create chances when we need him to, he needs to put his ego aside. If James wants to play footy he needs to accept what Benitez wants and earn that trust as well.

He'll never be able to run up and down the line like Townsend can, but in games where the onus is on us, the pressure is on us to create against a deep defence, he has to play for me.

It’s not that he’s lazy, I don’t think he has endurance so he paces himself by walking/jogging. Even ronaldo does it at times because he saves himself for moments.

In preseason, Rafael had him as one of the three midfielders like what Gomes was last night. I think that’s where he played in the American tour games. That probably makes sense as he could distribute and keep possession, but he would also have to show defensive awareness in that position which he’s probably behind Gomes.
It’s a balancing act. I thought the same could James not play in Gomes’ position. I appreciate he’s not good defensively, but neither is Gomes. However James has the ability to take the ball in tight situations without losing it and the difference between the two offensively is like night and day.

No worries. I just want to see him play a game and show the doubters what we are missing. I also want him to experience the Goodison crowd. He does a bit of magic to win a game and that would let him seeing what he has. I'm a bit of a dreamer and would love him to win a trophy even if it as super sub.

I would be astonished if he played another game for us. His heart is not in this club or the Premier League imo. He was here because of Ancelotti, but I still think he was unhappy midway through last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.