2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks as if Benitez is going to play a counter attacking style of football. He will use Gray and Richy to run at teams and Townsend to do the same and provide crosses as will Digne and Coleman. I also hope to see Gbamin carrying the ball forward. I don’t see a space for Hamez in that sort of set up, however we need a plan B and that may be Hamez sitting in behind a front three spraying passes and through balls. Burnley may be a good game to try Hamez sitting in behind as they will not come out that often and we are going to need someone very accurate to open them up.
I agree but Burnley is probably too early fitness wise. Hopefully he's on the bench though

You're talking about ancient history. The school of science was gone before a large section of our fans were even born. For many fans our identity is one of losing without challenging. Our "success" was 5th under Moyes and 7th under anyone else. Most fans haven't seen us win a trophy. Most fans saw "success" as a hard-working side that had occasional moments of flair. Recent cult heroes include Hibbo and Straq, ironically, sure, but fondly remembered for working hard.

The culture of being the school of science died out last Century. The modern Everton culture is not one for Mavericks.
You see points like this concern me and i don't identify with them.

I worry about the fans perceptions of football and particularly what Sky has done to the beautiful game. Its not about winning, yes its nice. Its about more, why do you support the club? Its about belonging, its about identity, its about values, a shared history, its about integrity, its about when things are good or bad you are present and there - you are unwavering, its about being a part of something bigger then yourself representatively yet you are part of it as a one, its part or your own identity, its a culture. Winning or loosing in a lot of ways, are just high and low points of that journey.

Its why i dont want this manger, i dont even think hes a bad manager, its because i dont think he represents, the culture, values, dignity or integrity and all the things i mention, that Everton football club have historically represented or identified with and he never will.

Its like Klopp, hes a great manager, would i want him here, no way - hes an awful sports person and lacks integrity, dignity and humility, hes not us the same way this current manager is not us.

Last edited:
Managing a player like James at RM is light years away from managing a player like James at Everton. Hopefully both parties realise that, and we all win.

This is all any Evertonian actually wants.

I didn't get why some of our fans actively wanted him out. It's mad and I'm fed up of seeing good players come and go.

But, he does need to work hard etc and the system cannot be reliant on him.

It wasn't just a case of James wanting to leave this summer. And the club, in my mind, deserve scrutiny for that, especially actively trying to get rid of him when we couldn't replace him as we have been doing in the last 10 days.

That deserves questioning and it can't even be debated because RB acknowledged it today.

I know the reasons why - we're up the creek financially - but it can't be excused. The top of the club is a shambles and needs questioning and that's where the vitriol should be aimed.

All on Benitez now.

There's no doubting at all that Rondon, who has also not played any matches so cannot possibly be match fit, will be in the squad on Monday (as he should be).

There's no excuse or reasoning for James not to be involved. We have 9 subs on the bench and two midfielders likely out injured.

Yeh, RB does seem to judge players by how hard they train. He mentioned it with Delph for instance.

James hasn't been helped by having to isolate for 10 days and in the one week of training he had before the Brighton game, Everton were trying to do the deal with Porto.

Was totally reasonable from all parties for him not to play in that game. Why would he risk it, why would Everton risk it and, frankly, the way we played in that match wouldn't have suited James anyway.

But we won't play the same in every game and he's now not going anywhere for at least four months. We have 9 subs we can use in each game, and he needs to be involved in every matchday squad when fit.

We aren't good enough to not be including James Rodriguez in the squad.

James hasn't been helped by having to isolate for 10 days and in the one week of training he had before the Brighton game, Everton were trying to do the deal with Porto.

Was totally reasonable from all parties for him not to play in that game. Why would he risk it, why would Everton risk it and, frankly, the way we played in that match wouldn't have suited James anyway.

But we won't play the same in every game and he's now not going anywhere for at least four months. We have 9 subs we can use in each game, and he needs to be involved in every matchday squad when fit.

We aren't good enough to not be including James Rodriguez in the squad.
The problem is, he is the opposite of what RB deemed the squad needed, hence the singing of Gray and Towny. He cannot play wide in an RB team as he does not work hard enough it seems and would be better suited to the number ten I guess.

and the club also wanted him out because for his wages we need that to be on a key player - and under Benitez he won't be key

But, he's here now so it's best for all parties to work together. James is a professional and he's well liked by the squad. I said all along, to me I never actually thought he was that arsed either way. But he clearly didn't want to move to Turkey even though he'd have not dropped his wage at all. So it's not just a money thing.

He's here for 4-8 months, let's make the most of him!
I agree, and I think it has more to do with the club not wanting him here. But, maybe he also told them after the Ancelotti debacle that he wished to move on. I guess we will never know the true facts behind all of this, which is something we all need to acknowledge, no matter what side of the aisle people fall on. You are right though, we need to make the best of the situation we are in.

The first (opening) comments on James, absolutely.

The second lot - to the BBC journo - Benitez says he knows what a quality player James is and there'll be games where those qualities can be used.
Ha Ha Ha.

He mentioned "intensity" half a dozen times and that the player needs to prove himself.

Benitez stepped up there today and utterly launched that player out of the stadium...even reminding everyone the UAE transfer window remains open for him.

It was masterful in it's quiet assuredness. He's in charge and James is dog excrement on his shoes.

Ooooof!!!

Not sure that is an accurate, account of what happened last season, my opinion is our results and bad runs tapered off when he was injured and not in the team. We struggled for a creative force, the line breaker, that could open up a team in one brilliant creative phase of play, as such our strikers goals and the whole team dried up and we tanked. That a pretty significant influence in my opinion.

If the manager doesn't fancy him that his prerogative, im not sure that is the case, if he doesn't he stupid and i dont think he is stupid. I think its speculative. As i said earlier hes already played under manager and been away internationally with im in preseason, he fulfilled all club duties. He hasnt asked for a transfer, he hasn't bad mouthed the club, hes been professional as far as i can see. Its again tr6ying to demonize someone because you turned your face from the player, its a real trait in our fanbase, for very little evidence, not like he did a Rooney on it. I do agree though its the mangers prerogative, he will live and die by results and decisions - not picking Jamo is one. We've both been around the block long enough to know, any good will is a honey moon and two losses and the knives are out for him, at that point Jamo will become a savior. That's how quickly it turns, its inevitable.

The manager will play a dull, systemic, percentage based game - that his MO. It wont get the blood racing and i find it quite amusing that much of the criticism aimed at Moyes historically they are going to get Turbo under this manager. Ultimately football is there to be enjoyed, the natives will get restless of a certain style and we know what happens then.

As i say Jamo is special, Evertonians take to heart players of his skill, quality and Maverick ability, if we cant the club is lost, its part of our culture. I think that is why it doesn't sit well with the majority of Evertonians, playing a statistical, pragmatic, dull game preferred by a manager who isnt one of us, who prefers Iwobis and Townends over the Jamos of this world - who are the epitome of our Maverick school of science culture. shouldPayers like Jamo should be what this club is about and if we cant find a place for them, we've lost our identity as a club. May as well be Burnlely playing the percentages.

That is quite correct but we expect him to play a darn good number of games not 1 in 3, it is attendances and his contribution to winning that we want to see.

I took it that James wants to leave, but that isn't an option until January, so he has to work with the team and put the team first until January and if he impresses in games, then he will get his move.
That is a very very generous take on it for James's chances of game time.

He stated 2/3 times that the player had to prove he could play in his system without breaking the intensity of effort from the team.

He's basically set James an impossible task, because he hasn't got that in his locker.

The problem is, he is the opposite of what RB deemed the squad needed, hence the singing of Gray and Towny. He cannot play wide in an RB team as he does not work hard enough it seems and would be better suited to the number ten I guess.
That's fine, but RB has brought those players in which compliment James' skillset anyway.

You can't have players who just do the same thing mate, or you can't mix up games enough to not become predictable.

James being in matchday squads - whether starting or as a sub - gives Everton a different dynamic. He requires two players to mark him, for one. Last season, we were far too reliant on him. That won't be the case now as we have other attacking options. But I'm sure Gray, for example, is very much looking forward to being able to run onto some slick passes from midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.