2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone manage to decode what Benitez was saying about James there?

Sounded to me like he will get game time, but he's maybe not ready just yet? Bench at best Monday night, I reckon.
Going off his comments (which I didn't think there was much wrong with - James does have to work for the team) I'd be surprised if he's on the bench on Monday now.

I mean, I don't agree with that. He 100% should be on the bench because we have 9 subs and one of those has to be a gamechanger of his quality, plus, you don't need to be up to full fitness to do 10 mins against Burnley if we need to break down their defence.

But I also get the feeling RB's ego will get in the way until something goes wrong results wise.

Up to James to show what he can in training. Then it's on RB. If he lets his ego get in the way IF stuff goes wrong on the pitch, he's not got a lot of leeway from the fanbase, rightly or wrongly.

I think what Rafael has said is it's as simple as James simply doesn't fit Benitez' preferred style of style of play, and indeed, the style of play in the Premier League, in general. However, he understands that in certain games, when we don't have to worry as much about all 10 guys putting in a shift, James ability to unlock defences could be useful, perhaps even a necessity.

Which is probably a fair assessment. I think we will see James on the pitch before the end of September - it's not like he's going to freeze him out
Not really true, this. The PL is rough and tumble but you don't just score six goals in your first season if it totally doesn't suit you. You need quality and he has that in abundance. That being said, fully agree on what you say about RB's system. But that's abundantly clear and it's why we wanted him to go.

But he didn't go, and he is a very good player so while he's fit and here it is ALWAYS worth him being in an 18-man matchday squad.

That Benitez press conference and his attitude to James. lol

He wants him like he wants a dose of the clap.

You can hear from those words he's not interested in him and doesn't rate him.

James should have gone to Turkey.

Reading between the lines of the managers press conference he'll be a squad player at most which most sensible folk expected.

The fans gagging for him to be in the starting line up most weeks are going to be in for dissapointment.
Nobody expects him to start every game.

Just listening to RB's second lot of comments (re. James' commitment) - even Benitez admits 'it wasn't easy, the market was open'.

The club was trying to move him out, James was open to it (quite clearly) but at the same time this is all a two-way streak. It's hard to show full commitment when a club is clearly so, so desperate for you to leave mate. And through the whole summer, that's actually what James said (wants to be wanted etc)

Now, that's not the same as saying he should be molly coddled and bowed to. Not one bit. I think JR knows this though. He probably did get a bit of a reality check but also, I'm not really letting the club off the hook either because of how desperate we were to get rid - that's annoying because, as I know you agree, it's more on the decisions we've made in the past coming back to bite us.

I'm more positive after hearing Benitez's comments to the BBC journo that he'll look to use him. Hopefully we see it on Monday in some form (even if he's an unused sub, just being there with a full Goodison under the lights), but if not, we've got plenty of games coming up.

Not really true, this. The PL is rough and tumble but you don't just score six goals in your first season if it totally doesn't suit you. You need quality and he has that in abundance. That being said, fully agree on what you say about RB's system. But that's abundantly clear and it's why we wanted him to go.

But he didn't go, and he is a very good player so while he's fit and here it is ALWAYS worth him being in an 18-man matchday squad.
True. He can score and create anywhere, without question.

The flipside is he's useless in defence, which in other systems, on other teams, can be accounted for. We simply aren't good enough in midfield to make up for that.

But without question, if fit, he should be in the matchday squad.

The first (opening) comments on James, absolutely.

The second lot - to the BBC journo - Benitez says he knows what a quality player James is and there'll be games where those qualities can be used.

True. He can score and create anywhere, without question.

The flipside is he's useless in defence, which in other systems, on other teams, can be accounted for. We simply aren't good enough in midfield to make up for that.

But without question, if fit, he should be in the matchday squad.

Depends how you play.

Richarlison hasn't really been helping out in defence that much in the last two games as he's played up front and hasn't really been tracking back. But, on the flipside, he has been pressing from that position which James isn't as effective at because he's not quick - it's not that he doesn't do it, though. He did actually press a fair bit last season in spells, it's just he hasn't got the pace to cover 10-15 yards like Richarlison does.

So, it's not just about 'tracking back' or 'defending'. Defence starts up front. Richarlison and Dom don't track back atm, but they do press.

This is, of course, my fear. I hope they can learn to get along.

I know he doesn't fit the Benitez way of playing, but what an asset to have ready to come off the bench.
tbf I'm more happy with what Benitez said midway through. I think that was perfectly reasonable and nobody is suggesting James doesn't need to work for his place.

But he should be in every 20 (it's not even 18 now, my maths is dreadful) when fit.

20 players in a matchday squad - not one of them has the same talents James does in terms of how he uses the ball. That's not to say the others are crap. But you can't ignore a player of that level. I think we'll see enough of him from now til Jan and then we can reassess then.

I want Everton to win something, soon. I've been alive for one trophy, and I was 2 months old.

What has constantly let us down in recent years is our lack of squad depth. We're still short in certain areas but as I said earlier, goals win games and up front we look well stocked now with a variety of options.

If that means James being a sub in most league games but starting the cup games, I'm fine with it, because James Rodriguez has won more trophies as a player than Everton have in the last 40 years. So I'd like to see us go for one and he can help that.

Benitez is like a cock with the clap.
Pussies aint gonna like it.

Going off his comments (which I didn't think there was much wrong with - James does have to work for the team) I'd be surprised if he's on the bench on Monday now.

I mean, I don't agree with that. He 100% should be on the bench because we have 9 subs and one of those has to be a gamechanger of his quality, plus, you don't need to be up to full fitness to do 10 mins against Burnley if we need to break down their defence.

But I also get the feeling RB's ego will get in the way until something goes wrong results wise.

Up to James to show what he can in training. Then it's on RB. If he lets his ego get in the way IF stuff goes wrong on the pitch, he's not got a lot of leeway from the fanbase, rightly or wrongly.

I guarantee he'll stick Rondon on the bench even though he'll be nowhere near match fit as well.

Thought Benitez was fair enough with him tbf. Recognised his talent and will utilize him when the opportunity arises which will probably mostly be from the bench and he also laid a gauntlet down to him saying get fit and work your ass off like the rest of the team and there maybe more for you. Good management tbh, much better than arm round your shoulder and i dont care how lazy you are as long as you do 1 good pass Ancenotalotti.

Sounds like he doesn’t fit Rafas plans, he couldn’t say it before otherwise it would lower offers for him.

After watching the first three weeks, I think it’s fair that Rafael plays pretty different to what Carlo played last year.

I think James has to show he covers more ground. His best position is up front next to either Richarlison or DCL in a two so one of them has to be injured. Andros Townsend covers way more ground than James and that’s what Rafael wants.

don't state the obvious... fsw not liking james is so 2015ish... nothing new here... let us all move on!

Status
Not open for further replies.