Is it ever right to want Everton to lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That City game, I didn't want us to lose on the Monday before it. Truth be told, I had completely lost all interest in football that season for obvious reasons.

But after a week solid of them kappa wearing meffs telling me how happy I would be if we got beat , and attempting to patronise me by saying (repeatedly) that they would cheer for us in the same situation , I was genuinely happy we got beat.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I would go into a game wanting to lose but I certainly had a lot of fun with that one.

Tbh I would take a couple of relegations if it meant them lot getting abolished or something

Because you're not from Liverpool. That's not a go, just the truth. You aren't surrounded by thousands of them every day.
I'm not either, but I lived there for three years. My "go to" answer? There wasn't one. I just ignored the 'kin blerts.
I don't care what the rs say.... C'mon lad, we're better than them bunch of inbreds.

Defence mechanism - if we're going to lose you might convince yourself it was all for the best.. (especially if the boss is crap - didn't shed any tears for Walker, Smith or Martinez I have to say).. but to actually lose, I don't think so.

(except the one in 2014 but only after the final whistle and the consequence were clear)

Of course it is......if the circumstances are right.

Everton 2 Manchester City 3

Who among us would go back in time and reverse that result given the dire consequences that would have flowed from it.

I recall jumping up when Ross opened the scoring with a scorcher that day....lol

I actually screamed NOOOOOO! As that ball was flying in

That Man City game was the only example I can think of

We had lost to Palace shortly beforehand, if memory serves correctly, which made our chances of getting a CL spot absolutely tiny, so I felt less guilty about having mixed feelings because there was likely to be no impact on us if we had won the game or not.

I celebrated when Barkley scored, but it was a spontaneous, natural reaction to Everton scoring. Immediately after it went in, I audibly uttered "oh ****" and there was a collective murmuring around me after the initial celebration.

Same again when Lukaku pulled a goal back later in the game.

With the benefit of hindsight, if we had won that game we would still have finished 5th, but Liverpool would have won the league. I hope the scenario never presents itself again, but I don't feel guilty about it.

I had a kopite mate who bought himself a Blackburn scarf for Liverpool's final home game in the 94/95 season, and there was a similar incident when Liverpool played Chelsea a few years ago and Stevie G La gifted them the title over United. On both occasions I had kopite mates who were delighted, so I feel no guilt at all.

There may be a set of circumstances whereby the disappointment of Everton losing may be mitigated by something else, as in the City game but no it is never OK to want Everton to lose.

It often causes inner conflict though doesn't it, you can sense the desperation for Martinez to be gone on the day of the Semi final like at least there was an upside to it, not that we wanted the semi to go the way it did though.

View attachment 40684
I was desperate for Everton to lose versus City, honestly never even thought about wanting them to lose versus United in the semi final.

Status
Not open for further replies.