Holgate Racially Abused By Firmino - The Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because this non incident takes away from the fact we should be concentrating on - That Liverpool have beaten us in a football match again

I'm sick of trying to claim the moral high ground - just win

It doesn’t though. No one’s saying “Mason Holgate was racially abused so that’s us into the next round”.

It’s not hard to claim the moral high ground against someone using the N word. And even still, it’s not doing that. It’s reporting alleged racism, which is obviously what should be done.

This is of course just dem bitters making things up on twitter. Even though the allegation was recorded in the referees match report. A Liverpool player would never racially abuse an opposition player. Even though it wouldn't be the first time one of their South American contingent have been accused.

It's a shame this will probably overshadow the game. Hard to see how a charge can be brought either, as it will surely be Firminos word against Holgates.

As a brazilian, i must say that from all the videos i´ve seen, all i could see Firmino saying was: " Cê tá loco? Filho da Puta", which would translate to "Are you mad? Son of a bitch". However, it looked like he continued to say something which is impossible to know, because there were other players blocking the view

Storm in a teacup

We got beat by a better football team - move on

No one is saying anything that disagrees with that. I also don't think it has anything to do with Liverpool if Firmino ends up having said something racist. The individual should be held accountable, and where it becomes relevant to Everton, is following through for a player who may have been subjected to racial slurs at his work place.

Ignore the thread if you like. But your responses have been bereft of a point, teetering on the cusps of stupidity and ignorance.

Look at the video. Mason doesn't react to Firmino saying "puta," or whatever was first said. He doesn't speak Portuguese, or Spanish, or whatever the racist scum speaks. He reacts to something that was said after. And by the looks of the reaction, it has to be something in English, something that both players can understand.

I just don't understand how someone in this sport can still say something racist and survive in it.

It really is a shame. He would be blackballed in American sports, and we don't do much right here in regards to being progressive or fighting for causes like this.

Players wouldn't want to have anything to do with him. How can he say that, if he ends up being found to have said what is alleged, and playing alongside Mane. It's mind boggling to me.

Whoever created that thread title should work for the daily mail- click bait at its finest. I await the investigation. Whether in red or blue I would never call someone guilty without fair trial/due diligence and a thorough investigation. If he’s found guilty then punish him as severely as possible but let’s wait for the investigation to start and for all the information to come out first before making bold statements. If Holgate came out tomorrow and quashed it as a misunderstanding some people would look incredibly foolish and reactionary.

All I hope for is that the FA treat this seriously and investigate thoroughly and let the truth be found out. This is potentially a serious accusation made by a young footballer concerning racism and he needs support not just from us, but football in general.

Last edited:
As a brazilian, i must say that from all the videos i´ve seen, all i could see Firmino saying was: " Cê tá loco? Filho da Puta", which would translate to "Are you mad? Son of a bitch". However, it looked like he continued to say something which is impossible to know, because there were other players blocking the view
I don't agree with you much but this is what I saw. Holgate gets mad when you can't see what he is saying anymore

I just don't understand how someone in this sport can still say something racist and survive in it.

It really is a shame. He would be blackballed in American sports, and we don't do much right here in regards to being progressive or fighting for causes like this.

Players wouldn't want to have anything to do with him. How can he say that, if he ends up being found to have said what is alleged, and playing alongside Mane. It's mind boggling to me.
Riley Cooper says hello. But it should be a harsh penalty. Suarez got more for biting. Says it all really

I’m not suggesting Firmino definitely said it, but in what way is the N word a “storm in a teacup” that people should “move on” from? Of course we were beaten by a better football team, but that’s irrelevant.
yea that initial post is an embarrassment. racist abuse is a bigger deal that football results, full stop. it's also not appropriate even when holgate was in the wrong with his push.

Riley Cooper says hello. But it should be a harsh penalty. Suarez got more for biting. Says it all really

Donald Sterling lost a franchise. Jerry Richardson lost a franchise. Richie Incognito couldn't get a job for a year and a half even when he had teammates saying he wasn't a racist

Steve Williams is unemployed. Riley Cooper was not welcomed back into that locker room. Players fought him in practice and guys wouldn't talk to him. We can talk about Riley Cooper if you want, but it didn't go down the way you probably interpreted it and he's out of the league.

If you think Racism isn't tolerated more in football than it is in other sports, then I think you're just ignorant.

But nice cherry pick there.

Status
Not open for further replies.