2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

He created a couple of chances on Sat that were not converted
From set plays. We discussed this yesterday. And he still didn't do anything vs Palace.

He's undoubtedly one of the best dead ball players in the game. But that in my opinion isn't enough to make up for open play deficiencies unless you are Juninho Pernambucano reincarnated.

If Sigurdsson was even a fraction more useful in his contributions, he would be a hero. With some of the things he does, he should be. But he's not. And that tells you everything you need to know about him.

He's more Bilyaletdinov than Cahill. More Barmby than Hutchison (and I'm talking playing wise, not the unceremonious way they ended up leaving, but Hutch is still 1 of my favourites and from a pretty poor period). The good moments aren't enough for what he could be, so he's ultimately a massive frustration, ghosting around the pitch and bottling out of shots that open up for him so he can lay it off to someone and not take the blame when they don't score. He doesn't take take enough responsibility.

And yes, he runs around a lot, and he yes closes down. But he is pretty ineffective at it, so people pass him by like the ghost he is when we have the ball and are looking for someone to do something with it.

All the highlight videos in the world will never prove wrong what my eyes watch week in week out.

Id love for him to be a top player for us, a talisman, a player teams dread to come up against. Unfortunately, he's non of those things.

I don't think anybody is doubting his ability to produce moments of quality. It's more about consistency and what he contributes on the occasion that he doesn't score a worldie. The answer these first two games has been not very much.

If we’re going off the first 2 games alone then Richarlison is getting dropped as well I take it?

If Sigurdsson was even a fraction more useful in his contributions, he would be a hero. With some of the things he does, he should be. But he's not. And that tells you everything you need to know about him.

He's more Bilyaletdinov than Cahill. More Barmby than Hutchison (and I'm talking playing wise, not the unceremonious way they ended up leaving, but Hutch is still 1 of my favourites and from a pretty poor period). The good moments aren't enough for what he could be, so he's ultimately a massive frustration, ghosting around the pitch and bottling out of shots that open up for him so he can lay it off to someone and not take the blame when they don't score. He doesn't take take enough responsibility.

And yes, he runs around a lot, and he yes closes down. But he is pretty ineffective at it, so people pass him by like the ghost he is when we have the ball and are looking for someone to do something with it.

All the highlight videos in the world will never prove wrong what my eyes watch week in week out.

Id love for him to be a top player for us, a talisman, a player teams dread to come up against. Unfortunately, he's non of those things.

Jesus Christ.

He had more shots than any other player last season and has had most this season apart from richarlison (1 less). Your comment about him not taking shots is baffling, particularly when you look at some of the goals he’s scored from distance for us when he could’ve easily passed. Bernard is the player who looks for passes instead of taking on shots.

I don't think anybody is doubting his ability to produce moments of quality. It's more about consistency and what he contributes on the occasion that he doesn't score a worldie. The answer these first two games has been not very much.

The point of the video isn’t the goals... it shows his creativity, the chances he created (many not taken), ball control in tight spaces, threading the needle with a key pass out of nowhere... insane vision that we just either take for granted or ignore

And of course it includes worldies cos Siggy scores Blammos! :celebrate:

The stick Gylfi gets on here is baffling. I keep hearing “he’s not a top 4-5 player”....well guess what, none of our team are currently. Can’t stand them lot across the Park but what they do infinitely better than us is support their players instead of ripping the backside out of them.
If you don’t think Gylfi’s a very good footballer maybe you should take up crotchet or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.